Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > General Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedtomtom

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRACKPIG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: tomtom
    Posted: 17-May-2007 at 20:44

i am planning another europe trip in the bimmer this summer and am thinking about purchasing a tomtom one europe.

does anyone have any experience with this bit of kit.

ive heard the mapping isnt very detailed once in europe. i just need to get from one hotel to the next really.

also i understand you can download the speed camera locations on to the unit - i thought it was illegal in main land europe to use speed camera locators?

any info appreciated!

REMEMBER- POWER IS NOTHING WITHOUT KELLY REMOULDS
E30 325 Sport - Gone but not forgotten
E36 M3 evo
Suzuki GSXR 750 Track Piece
Sponsored Links

Jack735 View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack735 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2007 at 09:37

I used TomTom 5 in the north of Spain last year, I suspect it will be the same maps.

Although it only 'advertised' 90% coverage I had no problems - and I was on some dodgy back roads up the Pico mountains!

If you're driving abroad I think satnav is now a must have.  It just takes so much pressure off the wife

Oooh, The machine of a dream, such a clean machine With the pistons a pumpin', and the alloys all gleam, When I'm holding your wheel, All I hear is your gear, With my hand on your grease gun, Mmm it's like a disease son, I'm in love with my car, gotta feel for my automobile, Get a grip on my .......
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2007 at 12:20

I haven't got one myself but my boss recently came back from a business trip in Europe where there were two cars in convoy, one with a Tom Tom and one with a Garmin GPS.

The Garvin was far better, so much so that they company are getting rid of all the Tom Toms and replacing them with Garmin systems.

Apparently the Garmin maps are so much more detailed and actually got them to their destination rather than the Tom tom, which tended to get lost as they got close to where they wanted to be.

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
TRACKPIG View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRACKPIG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2007 at 18:02

i was speaking to a saleman in halfords today and he was pushing the garmin nuvi 250.

tough decision. both £199 in store with europe maps.

i think the tomtom may still have my vote

E36 M3 evo
Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2007 at 22:13
I've got a Tomtom One UK edition, and have the speed camera locations downloaded on it. It's OK - some on the newer roads i the uK aren't on it (you appear to be driving across fields - and being asked to turn right after 50 yards while travelling at 70mph )

Quite a few people I know swear by tomtoms, a mate works for a car hire company and most have Tomtoms when delivering cars.
V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
Peter H View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2007 at 20:45
Have tom tom 910, have no problems door to door in western europe, Eastern is only major roads & citys
Das Wolperdinger

AHN-NYUNG-HEE GA-SEH-YO
TRACKPIG View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRACKPIG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2007 at 06:55

Originally posted by Peter H Peter H wrote:

Have tom tom 910, have no problems door to door in western europe, Eastern is only major roads & citys

does the tomtom one europe run the same maps which you have in western europe?

E36 M3 evo
stephenperry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenperry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2007 at 20:08

i've owned tomtom navigator 3 and 5 (pda-based), and currently have a tomtom one regional gb & ireland.

i'm pretty sure that the one europe uses navteq maps instead of the usual teleatlas but best asking for opinions on the www.pocketgpsworld.co.uk forum

2007 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCI Titanium X Auto

1983 Ford Sierra XR4i
    2000 Alpina B10 3.3 #118
    1999 BMW 323Ci
    1995 BMW 318i SE
    1994 Vauxhall Omega 2.0 GLS
    1995 Ford Mondeo 1.8 LX
    1990 Honda Concerto 1.6 EX
    1986 Ford Orion 1.6 GL
    1989 Ford Fiesta 1.1 Firefly
fingerman View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fingerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2007 at 20:59
I'd recommend TomTom - have tried a few (on my different PDA's) and currently using TomTom 6 (legit copy your honer! ) and works great

Very stable and accurate and should work great throughout Europe 
Current: E34 1996 525tds 113-125k
Previous: 9xE34s, 5xE30s, 2xE39s, 1xE32, 1xE36.... phew!
My Ebay bits: http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZseany69ukQQhtZ-1
TRACKPIG View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRACKPIG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2007 at 07:11

i am going to go for the tom tom one europe

hopefully there may be a special offer on over the bank holiday weekend?

E36 M3 evo
stephenperry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenperry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2007 at 16:48

2007 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCI Titanium X Auto

1983 Ford Sierra XR4i
    2000 Alpina B10 3.3 #118
    1999 BMW 323Ci
    1995 BMW 318i SE
    1994 Vauxhall Omega 2.0 GLS
    1995 Ford Mondeo 1.8 LX
    1990 Honda Concerto 1.6 EX
    1986 Ford Orion 1.6 GL
    1989 Ford Fiesta 1.1 Firefly
fingerman View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fingerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2007 at 17:12
Halfrauds, 10p cheaper £189.85

Halfrauds
Current: E34 1996 525tds 113-125k
Previous: 9xE34s, 5xE30s, 2xE39s, 1xE32, 1xE36.... phew!
My Ebay bits: http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZseany69ukQQhtZ-1
Peter H View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2007 at 16:34
Originally posted by TRACKPIG TRACKPIG wrote:

Originally posted by Peter H Peter H wrote:

does the tomtom one europe run the same maps which you have in western europe?

all basically the same

Das Wolperdinger

AHN-NYUNG-HEE GA-SEH-YO
540 V8 View Drop Down
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2007 at 11:13

Borrowed my mates tomtom (having never even seen one before) to do deliveries for my friends flower shop and I got to grips with it instantly. Really easy to use and if you do go wrong it re-calculates within seconds your new route. His has the voice of John Cleese directing you which can add a little humour to your journey too!

I'm thinking of getting one myself.

Mike

Edited by 540 V8

Current:E34 540i Touring 6 speed manual(Mpower bodykit & suspension)& Chrysler Voyager 3.3 V6 auto
Previous:E34 530iSE AC Schnitzer suspension.
E28 525e auto-Standard
Howard View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Did I say thaaaat?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2007 at 11:57
I have used Tom Tom on an HP PDA since it first came out. Best thing since sliced bread. Updates to maps are released at regular intervals, and UK maps are based on data provided by the UK Government mapping service I believe. If you find yourself "driving through a field", it will only be until the next update.
One thing my Jennie (that's what I call my tom tom) never does, is throw the map out of the window and say - find your own way home like the wife used to do.
One problem - the only maps availabe for Southern Ireland are the main routes. According to Tom Tom, maps will be available when the Irish mapping service has proper data available.
If driving in Europe, get the full set of maps. If you are on a 'major routes' map, and get off course for any reason, the system will not find you until you land on a road that it knows.

I was once in Switzerland working for the BMW Car Club, and we went into town for dinner in an X5. On the way home, the driver set the BMW sat nav (not a Tom Tom) to take us back to the airport. Due to a diversion, we got off route. The BMW sat nav simply said "Please return to the start of the planned route" and gave up. You will not find that on a Tom Tom - at a fraction of the price.
1963 700 LS
1988 635 CSi
1990 M635 CSi no longer!
2001 E38 728i Individual

http://www.tyneships.co.uk
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic