Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > General BMW & Bavarian-Board Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFuel magnets......

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel magnets......
    Posted: 18-May-2007 at 22:32

Some of you may remember the post a couple of months back about an ebay seller advertising some magnets that you fit to your fuel lines which supposedly reorganises the fuel molecules from being random to more of an organised pattern thus making the fuel burn more efficiently etc....

This was hit with a sceptical eye from most and quite rightly so too. It sounds daft and I firmly believed the same.

However, I was having a conversation with the workshop manager at my establishment of employment and he dropped into the conversation about these fuel magnets. He used to sell the things and swears by them! He was also involved in some trials that took place in conjunction with some car manufacturer and environmental chappies. The results were a little patchy in places as the tests weren't run properly (the guy running the whole operation wasn't even a qualified mechanic!) and the results were inconclusive with some gains in fuel efficiency and some not really proving anything.

But this guy did say that he used them on him Landrover discovery tdi and went from getting 390 miles from a tank to approx 430 with the magnets fitted and his discovery V8 went from 19 mpg average to 22 mpg and that was over the course of a few years not just a one off test. Since then I have also spoke to a guy who has a volvo 850 T5 and he also has them fitted. He reckons his car feels quicker (may just be in his mind) but he gets better MPG too even on V-Power.

I have gone from sceptic to curious and may find myself trying them. Over the next few weeks, I'm going to monitor my MPG (the proper way not using my OBC) and then I may invest in these 'magical' magnets and see what happens.

When/if it takes place, I will inform one and all of a new found motorists friend!

Mike

Current:E34 540i Touring 6 speed manual(Mpower bodykit & suspension)& Chrysler Voyager 3.3 V6 auto
Previous:E34 530iSE AC Schnitzer suspension.
E28 525e auto-Standard
Sponsored Links

stephenperry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenperry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2007 at 21:31

Petrol Fish

The Fish That Esso Tried To Ban!

2007 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCI Titanium X Auto

1983 Ford Sierra XR4i
    2000 Alpina B10 3.3 #118
    1999 BMW 323Ci
    1995 BMW 318i SE
    1994 Vauxhall Omega 2.0 GLS
    1995 Ford Mondeo 1.8 LX
    1990 Honda Concerto 1.6 EX
    1986 Ford Orion 1.6 GL
    1989 Ford Fiesta 1.1 Firefly
Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsetan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2007 at 21:59

Originally posted by 540 V8 540 V8 wrote:

....When/if it takes place, I will inform one and all of a new found motorists friend!

....or your attempts to get your money back....

James Sohl had a similar device on the fuel line of his 635CSi. The device gradually clogged up the fuel feed......

Edited by Horsetan

Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2007 at 09:02

Well I could not possibly be more sceptical about these devices. From a chemistry standpoint, the notion that if the fuel molacules are more ordered you get a more efficient burn is just rubbish. How can magnets manipulate the order of non magnetic molacules?

However if you chose to fit one I will be interested in the results. What you need to be careful of is making sure that you do not influence the outcome of the test by changing your driving style at all.

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
doogie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2007 at 09:40
There was an article in the club magazine a couple of months back about these including a review. Their results were (IIRC) that the only increase in mpg you get from these is that they make you more concerned about your mpg and therefore little less heavy on the loud pedal etc.

16 Feet of pure pleasure

DB02157, 01/90 E32 730i Calypso Red, single-point StarGas LPG conversion, Mac Mini on board
540 V8 View Drop Down
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2007 at 11:11

Originally posted by Horsetan Horsetan wrote:

....When/if it takes place, I will inform one and all of a new found motorists friend!

....or your attempts to get your money back....

James Sohl had a similar device on the fuel line of his 635CSi. The device gradually clogged up the fuel feed......

OK, now I'm worried!

Originally posted by doogie doogie wrote:

There was an article in the club magazine a couple of months back about these including a review. Their results were (IIRC) that the only increase in mpg you get from these is that they make you more concerned about your mpg and therefore little less heavy on the loud pedal etc.

Hmmmm, possibly a little mind changing happening here. If there is enough to couteract claims in this way then I guess it may not be so good. I suppose the other point would be if they are so good, why haven't vehicle manufacturers done more research or in fact fitted them.

Perhaps a re-think is in the balance. IF I do decide to go ahead (a little nervous now) I will inform you of my findings (all positive I hope!)

Mike

Edited by 540 V8

Current:E34 540i Touring 6 speed manual(Mpower bodykit & suspension)& Chrysler Voyager 3.3 V6 auto
E28 525e auto-Standard
doogie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2007 at 13:27
The article was in the March BMWCC magazine on page 27 (its in my boot and I had a quick swatch at lunchtime) - the unit being reviewed was a Posivlow, a quick google finds a thread at Honest John about it and loads of other debunking threads at different car forums. 

16 Feet of pure pleasure

DB02157, 01/90 E32 730i Calypso Red, single-point StarGas LPG conversion, Mac Mini on board
brybusa View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brybusa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2007 at 13:27

But this guy did say that he used them on him Landrover discovery tdi and went from getting 390 miles from a tank to approx 430 with the magnets fitted and his discovery V8 went from 19 mpg average to 22 mpg and that was over the course of a few years not just a one off test. Since then I have also spoke to a guy who has a volvo 850 T5 and he also has them fitted. He reckons his car feels quicker (may just be in his mind) but he gets better MPG too even on V-Power.

Its called the placebo affect Mike...and claiming increased perfomance is laughable..

Performance Bikes mag tested these devices in controlled conditions with an engine run on a dyno...they concluded there was no change at all in any areas and the science wasnt logical behind it either.

Still, your always going to find "believers", especially in the performance car market it seems

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenperry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2007 at 16:34

He used to sell the things and swears by them!

does that not tell you something?

1983 Ford Sierra XR4i
    2000 Alpina B10 3.3 #118
    1999 BMW 323Ci
    1995 BMW 318i SE
    1995 Ford Mondeo 1.8 LX
    1986 Ford Orion 1.6 GL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenperry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2007 at 16:37
Originally posted by brybusa brybusa wrote:

especially in the performance car market

SplitFire spark plugs, vortex air intakes, 2p resistors.....

1983 Ford Sierra XR4i
    2000 Alpina B10 3.3 #118
    1999 BMW 323Ci
    1995 BMW 318i SE
    1995 Ford Mondeo 1.8 LX
    1986 Ford Orion 1.6 GL
The blue bullet View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II
Surfs Up!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The blue bullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2007 at 16:47
... exhaust pipes you can fit your head in!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenperry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2007 at 16:54
...cat-back performance exhaust systems, the list goes on

1983 Ford Sierra XR4i
    2000 Alpina B10 3.3 #118
    1999 BMW 323Ci
    1995 BMW 318i SE
    1995 Ford Mondeo 1.8 LX
    1986 Ford Orion 1.6 GL
fozzymandeus View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fozzymandeus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2007 at 06:09
Where do these magnets go?

I'd not feel happy about anything magnetic near the fuel lines. Moving something metal around a magnetic field causes a small current to flow in the metal object.

Electric current + fuel = ?!
Beating around the bush.
fingerman View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fingerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2007 at 08:47
Didn't I read somewhere that if these devices worked then why doesn't the airline industry use them? 
Current: E34 1996 525tds 113-125k
Previous: 9xE34s, 5xE30s, 2xE39s, 1xE32, 1xE36.... phew!
My Ebay bits: http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZseany69ukQQhtZ-1
bmw1066 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
GOOD OLD E23

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmw1066 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2007 at 11:55
I Have one on my e28 525 it makes cluck all diffrence I onley put them on because I found them on a scrap car. In theroy thay wont make any diffrence as the fuel is squesed throung the injecters undoing all what thay may have dun, It has been on the car for six munths and it's not runing to well at the mo me thinks it has cloged up the injecters I used the car doing round trips on the m25 300 miles a week and it made no diffreence at all. I have a fuel cat on the e23 and that duse seem to work?
Mark 735 se 1982
RED BARON A E23 is for life not just for x-mas
BMW e34 530 v8 Sport kit
Spelling always Bad
doogie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2007 at 19:07
Originally posted by fingerman fingerman wrote:

Didn't I read somewhere that if these devices worked then why doesn't the airline industry use them? 

That was mentioned in the article I referred to in the club mag :)

16 Feet of pure pleasure

NOISUFNOC View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NOISUFNOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2007 at 21:19
Does that mean if i strap a cpl of big magnets round my neck, will my beer go down smoother and quickerBig Smile
528 for now
fozzymandeus View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fozzymandeus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2007 at 02:09
Yup... and should you need to prop yourself up on a lamppost on the way home from the pub for a snooze you'll be able to do so standing up!
Beating around the bush.
540 V8 View Drop Down
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2007 at 10:43

LMAO nice one chaps!

ok, ok, you have convinced me, rubbish idea, what was I thinking. I can totally dig the placebo effect. My wife thought this was the reason V-power seemed to be saving us fuel, because I was driving more carefully! Infact, in some cases, it was costing more because I was using the performance more! But when she used the car a few times and managed to get quite a lot of motoring from £20 she conceded I was right. Used with a light right foot, V-power is worth the extra few pence and not only that, when you want to have some fun, the power really is there too!

Didn't I hear somewhere they use magnets to condition V-power?

No?

Mike

E28 525e auto-Standard
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2007 at 09:13

I was always sceptical about the benefits of optimax but V-power I am certain gives me a noticable performance improvement over standard 97ron super unleaded.

Whether that's due to the magnets...

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic