Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > BMW Related News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedInternational Engine of the Year 2007

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: International Engine of the Year 2007
    Posted: 29-May-2007 at 11:35
International Engine of the Year 2007
from here...
Quote BMW 3-litre Twin Turbo (335i)
The contest for International Engine of the Year 2007 was dominated by the engineering teams from Munich, Wolfsburg and Stuttgart. The twin- turbo 3-litre petrol engine from BMW, Volkswagen’s clever 1.4-litre supercharged and turbocharged unit, and Porsche’s mighty 3.6-litre turbo were all in real contention, but it was BMW’s offering that found favour with the jurors. The triumph means that BMW takes home the top prize from the the jury for the fifth time in the International Engine of the Year Awards’ history. It is also the third year in a row that the trophy heads back to Munich.

In the final round, impressed by the six-cylinder engine’s use of lightweight materials to offer V8-like performance, 53 of the 62 jury members awarded points to the engine. Le Figaro’s Thierry Etienne commented: “The perfect control of direct injection and turbocharging makes this miracle possible.” Jake Venter, from South Africa’s CAR magazine, hails the twin turbo as, “a fitting addition to BMW’s inspired series of six-cylinder engines.”

What stands out in the twin turbo is the first application of BMW’s state-of- the-art direct-injection system, which features injectors located centrally at the top of the combustion chamber, aiding efficiency and spray accuracy. Perhaps the greatest achievement of the twin-turbo petrol engine was its margin of victory over a very strong field: so competitive was the contest that last year’s winning V10 finished only fourth. Graham Johnson, co-chair of the Awards summed up: “I hope this victory encourages BMW to turbocharge more of its petrol engines.”
Results:

2. Volkswagen 1.4-litre FSI (TSI) (VW Golf, Touran, Jetta) 259

3. Porsche 3.6-litre Turbo (911 Turbo) 252

4. BMW 5-litre V10 (M5, M6) 241

5. Volkswagen/Audi 2-litre Turbo FSI (A3, A4, A6, TT, Golf GTi, Eos, Jetta, Sąkoda Octavia, Seat Altea, Leon) 154

6. BMW-PSA 1.6-litre Turbo (Cooper S, Peugeot 207) 135

7. BMW 2.5-litre 6-cylinder (325, 525, Z4, X3) 58

8. Toyota 1-litre 3-cylinder (Aygo, Yaris/Echo/Vitz, Citroen C1, Peugeot 107) 56

more info..
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic