Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Irish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCar Ferries, okay ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigPhil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Car Ferries, okay ?
    Posted: 11-July-2007 at 14:30

Howdy.

going over to england for a few days, was wondering if anyone had any bad experiences of cars getting damaged or scratched etc ? I would like to bring my new pride and joy, 07 911 with me, but dont want to if its going to man handled.  Might just go in my daily driver.

any help appreciated.

Thanks.

997 C2 now.
Sponsored Links

denishogan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Whats this title thing about then?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote denishogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-July-2007 at 14:36
They're generally pretty good... just ask at check-in for a little more space if possible (maybe get loaded with the trucks). Be careful driving on to the ferry with the angle of the ramps. Once saw a guy in a Ferarri bottoming out as he drove over the top of a ramp onto a ferry in Sardinia. Doubt you'll have any problems though.

Enjoy the trip.

Denis
BigPhil View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigPhil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-July-2007 at 14:40
Thanks Denis.
997 C2 now.
llatsni View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
work in progress

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote llatsni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-July-2007 at 15:47
I saw a gallardo remove his front valance on a ramp that was at a mad angle on a ferry in france.

But you should be fine, just go slow and ask someone to guide you. Most 911's look like they have more clearance than my 316.
1996 e34 525i SE Touring [uberwagon!]
1992 e36 325i Coupe [track car]
1998 e36 316i SE Saloon [sold... but missed]
Don B View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-July-2007 at 15:48
Took the ferry from France over to Rosslare last year , had no problems at all, found the whole experience pretty pleasant. We got parked behind a Ferrari 360 in the hold which sounded awesome when it started it up as we were leaving.
Mick525i View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mick525i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-July-2007 at 16:01

Take it. Should be no problems. The car is for driving after all... (easy for me to say, its not my 911)

Mick

Cheers
Mick

BMW E21 318 1980
BMW E39 525i 2002 MTech
VW Golf Gti 2003
BigPhil View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigPhil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-July-2007 at 17:06
cheers Lads.
997 C2 now.
Bayerische View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bayerische Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-July-2007 at 18:53

I have used car ferries over to the UK 4 or 5 times and have never had a problem. The cars are well spaced out on the car deck so very little chance of door dings. When the ferry starts moving the car deck is locked and passengers do not have access to it. Enjoy your trip.

Regards,

Bayerische

Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-July-2007 at 19:24
Used Cal-Mac ferries quite a lot and found no probs with them. It's others opening their doors onto you that I hate..

V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
flyingalexf68 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyingalexf68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-July-2007 at 22:07
The only worry is if you're sailing on high seas. Then they have to tie or
chain some or all the cars down. I've seen them throw ratchet straps through
alloy wheels and some of the other cars had wheel clamps on that were
chained to the floor. This would be a worry for me. Try ask for a nice
parking spot. I'm sure they'll oblige.
1995 e36 3.0 M3 Coupe, Daytona Violet, AP Racing BBK, CCFL Angel Eyes, M3 Spoiler, M-Tec 3 Steering Wheel.   
2000 530d Steptronic, Poverty Spec, 18" Alloys.
m3sport View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m3sport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-July-2007 at 23:36

In the last month i drove thru Irl Uk France Spain Andorra, and getting on all the ferrys was fun in my m3!!!!  (not) It was ok, considering how low she is to the ground and how bad their ramps are.  But, no bother, i asked for a little more space and never had any problems.  Remember, your 911 came in on a ferry in the first place! Im more than sure your baby will be just fine!!!

I miss my m3.......
Kin Mak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kin Mak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-July-2007 at 10:43

After parking the car I always wait till the cars either side of me have parked and left before I go. I stare down the person getting out of the car so they know that it is my car they are edging the door toward.

When it is time to go I will be the first at the car again. Same drill, I think Mick saw me nearly make a kid cry as I was doing my death stare.

davec View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-July-2007 at 19:57

Hey

Just back from the Cannonball Run Europe - and no problems with the Ferries ...  loads of porkers a lambo and a bunch of Ferrari's..

I would reconmend it to anyone !

daveandbruce.com
autoremap.com
accarsales.com
2001 E39 530d Sport Auto
BMWchic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMWchic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-December-2012 at 15:41
I felt exactly the same when I first brought my Z4, it is also my pride and joy. I travelled from Holyhead to Dublin with Irish Ferries and Stena Line on the way back. It all turned out to be ok, as I called the agent I booked through , prior and they left a note on the booking that I would like it to board first or last (luckily I didn't have to pay extra). Sure, it may have taken a bit more time to park it and board the ferry but I was reassured. I arrived at the port nice and  early. But generally, don't let that stop you. They understand when something means a lot to you, they transport antique cars from what I have been told, and they are rare and really expensive, so people do get protective!

Edited by kbannon - 12-December-2012 at 21:46
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic