Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBMW 320d reliabillity

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BMW 320d reliabillity
    Posted: 27-July-2007 at 09:15

I'm after the experiences of those who own or have owned a BMW 320d. I'm not thinking about buying one but I've heard other people bad mouthing them on other forums saying that the engines a rubbish and turbos never last more then 50k. Apparently when a turbo goes it can wreck the engine which then costs £8k to replace. Before I jump in and put these fools in their place, can any 320d owners either confirm or deny these scandalous alligations.

thanks

Edit: just been reading post on BMWland.co.uk and there seem to be a few BMW 320d owners having very expensive manifold problems...

Edited by Peter Fenwick
Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
Sponsored Links

Coasting View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
www.TOTALTORQUE.net

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coasting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-July-2007 at 18:25

All sounds very odd to me Peter.

We've had an E46 320d SE Saloon, in jet black metallic, since September 2004 when we bought it new (it's my wifes car).

The car has now covered 46,000 miles and has been faultless.

My wife changes her car every 3 years without fail, and so this one has been agreed as being part exchanged against her new car, which arrives in the first week of October 2007 with any luck.

The 320d can be summed up very easily for me:

- it's performance is superb

- it's fuel economy is okay, but not the best

- it's drivetrain is excellent

- it's ride quality is fantastic

The carhas returned an average of 41.3mpg since new, compared to the Audi A4 1.9 TDi Avant 130 Sport that I had giving 47.8mpg average.  However, that's where the competition stops - because the 320d was in a different class to my A4.  The A4 is tractor like in comparison to the 320d's engine and drivetrain, and frankly I'll never recommend a 1.9TDi FWD Audi to anyone. 

I'm not aware of any common problems on the car, but acknowledge ours hasn't hit 50k yet (and won't whilst we still have it).  However, I've never heard of any elsewhere either.

You have to remember something else though - the 320d was the best seller of the E46 range.  By a very long way.  There are hundreds of thousands of them out there - so yes, you'll hear of things going wrong, as you would with any car selling in such a huge volume.

If my wifes next car (a Lexus RX400h SE-L) is as reliable as the 320d has been, we'll be delighted.

Now with FREE HPI CHECK and FREE GLASSES GUIDE VALUATIONS for all members!

alanross View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alanross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-July-2007 at 18:41
The company I used to work for had two of these, an X5 3.0d and a 330d tourer. The two 320d kept breaking down even though they were just out the wrapper.

Bm changed fuel filters, fuel pumps (front and back), injectors, fuel lines and flushed the fuel system fully including the tank. This happened 3 or 4 times with each car yet no problems with the 3.0l. In the end these cars were returned to the hire company and replaced with a Renault Laguna and a Vauxhall Vectra. Happy to say they have returned to E90 320d's now. The thought was fuel contamination but they couldn't pinpoint where it was coming from when all the company cars fuel at either Shell or the tank in the yard.

Also heard turbo's not up to much but never knew it could take out the engine too. Sure about this?

I'd go for the 3.0d, oh I already did. 

Alan.
Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-July-2007 at 21:19

Not a 320d owner, but have been doing a little research for my folks who are changing their car soon, a 320d is something that has been mentioned, here's some findings

http://www.bavarian-board.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=18359&am p;am p;KW=320d

http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/cars/bmw-320d/1029278/

http://www.bmwland.co.uk/talker/viewtopic.php?p=23389&hi ghlight=&sid=287a5a868567edc97d66fb71efb50369

http://www.bmwland.co.uk/talker/viewtopic.php?p=23389&hi ghlight=&sid=287a5a868567edc97d66fb71efb50369

http://www.dieselcar.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=dr_bmw; action=display;num=1124537799

guess one of these may be off the list, as unless your buying new you never know how the cars been treated, as FSH doesn't seem to count for much as far as the turbo is concerned

Edited by Sporty1

Sport Evolution Schwarz #043
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-July-2007 at 09:08
Coasting View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
www.TOTALTORQUE.net

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coasting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-July-2007 at 14:29

As I said above though Peter, look at the volumes the car sold in.

More to the point, name a car and I'll spend 10 minutes on the internet and find you 10 or more reasons not to buy it because of problems posted on car forums....

Try it.  You'd never buy a car again.

Now with FREE HPI CHECK and FREE GLASSES GUIDE VALUATIONS for all members!

Allan320 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Obsessive Detailer!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allan320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-July-2007 at 18:20

My 320D was faultless until recently.

Was pulling away from my street, 10-15 mph when the car looses power, smoke belching from it.

43000 miles and the turbo had blown.  Read the story here.  My car is maintained regardless of cost, but it was just one of these things.

http://www.bavarian-board.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=37607&am p;KW=allan320

Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-July-2007 at 10:21
Originally posted by Peter Fenwick Peter Fenwick wrote:

This is the problem that attracted my attention

http://www.bmwland.co.uk/talker/viewtopic.php?t=53451&hi ghlight=&sid=452462873c6271d83b8206e0ed503141

That doesn't make good reading does it, regardless of the number of cars that have been sold........... I know a friends 2004 330d auto Tourer has had a manifold, was picked up at first service, at 18k ish miles, dealer didn't tell him why it needed changing though.

Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-July-2007 at 12:30
Originally posted by Sporty1 Sporty1 wrote:

That doesn't make good reading does it, regardless of the number of cars that have been sold........... I know a friends 2004 330d auto Tourer has had a manifold, was picked up at first service, at 18k ish miles, dealer didn't tell him why it needed changing though.

I agree, I don't care how many they sold, full history cars with less than 100k miles on the clock should not be suffering from failed manifolds. Components like this should last the life of the car.

Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-July-2007 at 14:04
Originally posted by Sporty1 Sporty1 wrote:

Originally posted by Peter Fenwick Peter Fenwick wrote:

This is the problem that attracted my attention

http://www.bmwland.co.uk/talker/viewtopic.php?t=53451&hi ghlight=&sid=452462873c6271d83b8206e0ed503141

Edit: Spoke to above mentioned friend, maniflod was on a recall according to him but no letter sent out, just as and when they come in for routine servicing maintenance.

The blue bullet View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II
Surfs Up!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The blue bullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-July-2007 at 13:58

Just finished reading that scary piece.

My 2003 320d. Turbo had been replaced @69k miles (just before I bought it).

I find it a great car to drive and is faster than I though for a diesel. Will eat VW/Audi 1.9tdi for fun.

Now if I can just stop it from choking on it's butterfly flap we should be fine!

Allan320 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Obsessive Detailer!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allan320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-July-2007 at 15:28
Indeed
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic