Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Scottish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCracked Windscreen

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
M3 GT Register

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Webdunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cracked Windscreen
    Posted: 09-August-2007 at 13:55
To add to the chip from Gaydon 2006 caused by a CSL propelled stone, the GT has accumulated another one which has caused a crack encroaching on the swept area of the screen on the driver's side.

1) Any recommendations for someone near Stirling to do it (assuming Direct Line give me a choice)

2) Any top tips for 'encouraging' the glass folks to be careful and not make a pigs ear of it like they did in my 328i?

3) any views on which screen I should try to get?

01 WINDSHIELD, CLEAR WITH ANTI-GLARE STRIP 51318174010
01 GREEN WINDSCREEN, GREEN SHADE BAND      51318174011
01 GREEN WINDSHIELD        &n bsp;         &n bsp;     51318174012

In fact, do any of you have snaps of different screens? I don't have an anti-glare strip so I can only assume I have the 'green windshield' at the mo?
Sponsored Links

Rossi View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rossi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2007 at 14:16
Try the RAC windscreen fitting places on the RAC site.(usually accepted by most insurers)
I was pointed to the RAC windscreen service at Murrayfield, Edinburgh by my insurers and got a new replacement graduated green tinted windscreen for Ł50 through my insurance (Admiral) about 6 months ago. The windscreen on the E36 coupe has to be bonded in so, allow an hour for waiting time after fitting, they don't release the car before then.
Dunno which is which by the part numbers quoted above though.

Rossi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rossi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2007 at 14:22
try here:
RAC

Units 1 & 2
       32 Kerse Road
       Springkerse
       Stirling
       FK7 7TA
       Tel: 01786 446007

isn't this near Menzies BMW dealership IIRC

Edited by Rossi
Rossi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rossi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2007 at 14:56
BTW I was happy with their service and fitment of the windscreen, as there are no leaks or excess bonding residues anywhere. 
Webdunk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
M3 GT Register

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Webdunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2007 at 15:18
Cheers - I know where that is OK - it's a quality of work recommendation I was after as Autoglass in Stirling made the hash of the 328i...
Big Stuff View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Stuff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2007 at 17:18

I used RAC in stirling recently to fix 2 chips Duncan and one was a pick and fill of one which had'nt been done right before.

No probs with their work.

Did it while i wait day after i phoned.

Edited by Big Stuff
2002 330ci SE - Factory Straight - Now gone cause am skint and in a wee diesel - Aw naw - boo hoo
Rossi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rossi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2007 at 18:45

Originally posted by Webdunk Webdunk wrote:

Cheers - I know where that is OK - it's a quality of work recommendation I was after as Autoglass in Stirling made the hash of the 328i...

so, what I previously posted wasn't a recommendation then...

215m3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 215m3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2007 at 23:08
Dunc, you may not get a choice of windscreen. when i had my last tourings screen replaced they asked what colour the top screen tint was and would only replace it with what was previously on it.
Toby
New Genuine BMW & Mini OEM parts - www.bmminiparts.com

1987 E30 M3 with turbo being added
Webdunk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
M3 GT Register

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Webdunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2007 at 23:31
Originally posted by Rossi Rossi wrote:

Originally posted by Webdunk Webdunk wrote:

so, what I previously posted wasn't a recommendation then...

LOL missed your third response
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2007 at 23:41

Originally posted by 215m3 215m3 wrote:

Dunc, you may not get a choice of windscreen. when i had my last tourings screen replaced they asked what colour the top screen tint was and would only replace it with what was previously on it.

But it depends if the screen is still available - my plain one wasn't so I got a top-tint foc

Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
stephenperry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenperry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-August-2007 at 12:04

Originally posted by 215m3 215m3 wrote:

you could always lie!

2007 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCI Titanium X Auto

1983 Ford Sierra XR4i
    2000 Alpina B10 3.3 #118
    1999 BMW 323Ci
    1995 BMW 318i SE
    1994 Vauxhall Omega 2.0 GLS
    1995 Ford Mondeo 1.8 LX
    1990 Honda Concerto 1.6 EX
    1986 Ford Orion 1.6 GL
    1989 Ford Fiesta 1.1 Firefly
Rossi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rossi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-August-2007 at 14:39
Yup, I had to stick with the original tinted with graduated sunstrip with NO option to change, through insurance company.
I suppose the insurance companies would classify it as an 'undisclosed modification' therefor, invalidating insurance...they look for any excuse not to pay out nowadays.

Originally posted by stephenperry stephenperry wrote:

you could always lie!

misquoting specific windscreen details (sounds better)
Webdunk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
M3 GT Register

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Webdunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-August-2007 at 16:12
Got RAC Windscreens (North Glasgow Office) to pop along to my work. They brought a nice green tinted screen but it was discovered to be chipped when they prepped it so they came back with a normal screen but fitted it v nicely with no mess or damage
Rossi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rossi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-August-2007 at 19:12

..what a pane! 

next purchase, green tinted shades for driving?

<Groan> I'll get my coat...

thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-August-2007 at 21:59

Originally posted by Rossi Rossi wrote:

<Groan> I'll get my coat...

please do ......

and whilst you're about it, sort your sig!

Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
Mick525i View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mick525i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-August-2007 at 22:27

Had mine replaced on Monday. Big stone got at it last Friday on the M1. Got it with a nice green top tint too.

Insurance covers it €450 for the screen and my insurance is €527 so they have now made €77 on me for the year..

Mick

Cheers
Mick

BMW E21 318 1980
BMW E39 525i 2002 MTech
VW Golf Gti 2003
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic