Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 6 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBatteries

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Did I say thaaaat?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Batteries
    Posted: 27-August-2007 at 22:39
My M6 is only used now and again, and sometimes I do not remember to check the battery, so I usually charge it using a battery condition type charger for 3 days when I think it is going to be driven.

Last week I did this only to find that it was still flat, and required a boost to get it running. The battery was only 8 months old, so I took it along the my battery supplier for replacement.

When the battery was removed, to my horror I found that the vents on it were not connected to the vent drain pipe, being a different type to the original fitting, and had thus spat out a considerable amount of acid which had not helped the paintwork in the battery box.

The paintwork was repaired and a new battery installed. However, a notice on the faulty battery states that it will be irevocably damaged if allowed to go flat. This I had not seen, and so asked for a lead acid battery to be fitted as a replacement. I am awaiting a report from the manufacturer as to whether I get a free replacement, or have to pay up £70 for 1000 miles of battery usage.

Two lessons to be learned:
1. If your battery is likely to go flat due to lack of use, make sure that it is a lead acid type (now hard to obtain) and / or keep it charged regularly.

2. If you have a new battery fitted, make sure that the vents are connected.

Anyone know where to get vent drains sutable to fit oblong battery vents? My supplier has no idea.

1963 700 LS
1988 635 CSi
1990 M635 CSi no longer!
2001 E38 728i Individual

http://www.tyneships.co.uk
Sponsored Links

Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-August-2007 at 10:01

#15...... try the stealers, doesn't list as NLA.

Sport Evolution Schwarz #043
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic