Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Scottish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedGazebo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
M3 GT Register

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Webdunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gazebo
    Posted: 29-August-2007 at 10:49
Troops,

I need your collective efforts to try and track down a gazebo.

Brief :

• Sub £100
  • Waterproof
  • Windproof
  • Easy to erect and dismantle (sub 5 mins)
  • Fits in a reasonably sized boot

The one we had this year was ideal in terms of size, cost and putting up / taking down but was neither waterproof nor suitable for even a light breeze.

The one we have before was a PITA the construct but was more wind and waterproof. Can someone find the happy medium..?

Edited by Webdunk
Sponsored Links

steven.seed View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steven.seed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-August-2007 at 11:46

Duncan.

There are a few dealers on ebay that may have something suitable,

for example,  Gazebos

Steve.

1998 E36 318iS Saloon   
1989 E30 318i. Coupe
2000 E39 520i Touring

Webdunk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
M3 GT Register

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Webdunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-August-2007 at 13:00
Cheers Steve. I'm looking for more detail tho - the one we got this year looked great online but turned out to be totally unsuited to Scottish weather so I want folk to be recommending stuff they've seen or used.
Chas C View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Nothing new under the sun

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chas C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-August-2007 at 15:02

Originally posted by Webdunk Webdunk wrote:

looked great online but turned out to be totally unsuited to Scottish weather

Dunc, you might just be looking for something that doesn't exist. 

I've now got two gazeebos and both have been damaged by stiff breezes.  I'm not talking strong winds - just a little more than a light breeze.  That was enough to send one of them into the adjacent field and mangle the metalwork.

It's not down to the material used, it's inherent in the basic design.  Anything that wind can get into will cause huge differentials in pressure and turn a gazeebo into a sail.  It would have to be a pretty industrial design to get round that.

Webdunk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
M3 GT Register

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Webdunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-August-2007 at 15:11
Chas I fear you may be right... but with 400+ Scots on here hopefully someone will have a cunning plan. or mibbes we should ask Bluebro / Stevie to recreate the pathetic Aluminium frame in more solid steel This would also mean that whoever was carrying the gazebo around would look like they had lowered their suspension LOL
Chas C View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Nothing new under the sun

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chas C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-August-2007 at 15:17
How about a club caravan?
Webdunk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
M3 GT Register

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Webdunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-August-2007 at 15:18
Don't joke, the SE Region have one!

We are all jealous of the Jaguar bus at Callander too
nero View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Just call me Tripod

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-August-2007 at 16:02
Originally posted by Webdunk Webdunk wrote:

Can someone find the happy medium..?

You didn't look very hard - a Google search found this http://www.thehappymedium.co.uk/ 

Looking around at recent shows, the more robust ones seem to be the type you assemble (like E30 zone one) or the hexagonal types

vpricey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vpricey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-August-2007 at 18:45

My Dad managed to find a good bargain on a gazebo for the end of summer clearence sales at the local DIY centres B&Q and the likes...

Pops up it's self and it's about 5m by 5m, a bit big but you get the Idea... I'll check with him where he found it!!

Paul - '87 E30 325i Sport - '99 E39 M5 - '05 E53 X5
nero View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Just call me Tripod

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-August-2007 at 19:40
How about this one from Argos, its only £40 - Hexagonal Gazebo with Mesh Panels.

Bigian View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-August-2007 at 19:45

How about 1 of these

If you can't be good don't get caught
--------------------------
Pete330 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-August-2007 at 21:05

Ref-The Hex ones they are more like a tent and have fibreglass rods and very thin poles.I bought one from Costco after seeing the one at Alford.I ain't used it yet,but tried it up and bent one pole just assembling.Chas also used to have one till it blew away Lol

The one we bought that got distroyed this year there is one in Halfords the same,but beter roof (aprt from being green and white)

Its a 4 x 4 and £40

Previous:

E36 318is coupe, E36 323i coupe, E30 316 saloon, E30 318 saloon, E46 330ci Sport Conv
E92 325d M Sport(3.0),With Loads of gadgets

Current:
116i Sport F20
bluebro View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-August-2007 at 23:06

Titanium or carbon fibre frame, that's what we need.

Strong, lightweight and expensive!

F22 Estoril Blue M235i
Issy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
THE BOSS!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Issy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-August-2007 at 22:12

Duncan I will be going to costso this weekend so I will check out the price of the one from there I was telling you about on sunday.

I also saw the one in Halfords the other week reduced to £40 looked ok but looked the same as the one that blew away! 

Never thought..........we could have made money to get a new one selling the burgers on sunday   maybe next time lol

Webdunk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
M3 GT Register

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Webdunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2007 at 09:52
I may have found one... nae cheap (or light @ 25kg!) but it claims to be water and wind resistant. Saw one at a wee street market and it's WAY sturdier that this year's ill-fated one.

http://poptents.eu/3x3_information.html

Reckon a 3x3 with walls is the way forward...

http://www.poptents.eu/
Coullio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coullio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2007 at 12:08
http://www.pitchwell.com/Shop/pc/viewCat_P.asp?idCategory=69

Could be your answer
Webdunk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
M3 GT Register

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Webdunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2007 at 12:25
Cheers mate but it's aluminium which should carry a 'not for use in Scotland' sticker
gary View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Just Call me Wendy ;-)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2007 at 13:10
What about what the E30zone guys had at Callander?
Webdunk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
M3 GT Register

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Webdunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2007 at 13:44
Originally posted by gary gary wrote:

What about what the E30zone guys had at Callander?

Granted it worked but it was :

a) HUGE

and

b) Took a fair bit of setting up and a LOT of guy ropes and tie downs.

Feedback from meets was that the gazebo needs to be quick to put up so that's why I'm looking at this type rather than ones we have to construct...
Issy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
THE BOSS!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Issy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-November-2007 at 23:54
That looks just the job Duncan very similar to the one I saw in costco in the summer good find

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic