Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > General Off Topic Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 1984 - George you were right - Smoking drivers risk prosecution
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked1984 - George you were right - Smoking drivers risk prosecution

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack735 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1984 - George you were right - Smoking drivers risk prosecution
    Posted: 28-September-2007 at 12:41

You just got the year wrong ......

Motorists who smoke at the wheel could be prosecuted under a new rule in the latest edition of the Highway Code.

Smoking drivers would be charged if it is thought they were driving without due care and attention.

Road Safety Minister Jim Fitzpatrick said drivers should not be distracted by other activities behind the wheel.

The first update of the Highway Code for eight years, which is 42 pages longer and has 29 more rules, includes a new safety code for novice drivers.

'Lighting up'

Mr Fitzpatrick told BBC News: "What it says is that drivers should remember they have to concentrate and they shouldn't be distracted either by passengers, by loud music, by reading a map, or using a mobile phone or by smoking.

"If you're lighting up with one hand and have a fag in the other hand then obviously you've not got any hands on the wheel.

"So I think what we're saying is concentration is very important in the prevention of accidents."

The driving booklet takes into account new laws over vehicle emissions and smoking in vehicles that are considered workplaces.

New initiatives such as quiet lanes, high-occupancy vehicle lanes, home zones and active traffic management schemes are also included.

'Polarise opinions'

Mr Fitzpatrick said the Highway Code was a "crucial tool for all road users" and was for life and not just for passing the driving test.

Andrew Howard, head of road safety for AA Public Affairs, believed motorists would be divided over the new smoking guidance.

He said: "A major change is the code's inclusion of smoking at the wheel as behaviour that police may interpret as a distraction and failure to be in proper control of the vehicle.

"This addition will polarise drivers' opinions both for and against."

'No evidence'

Campaign group Forest described the new smoking rule as "totally unnecessary".

Director Simon Clark said: "There are already rules concerning reckless driving and if it can be proved that somebody has driven recklessly they can be prosecuted.

"There's not a shred of evidence that smoking is a cause of accidents, or any more of a distraction than changing a CD or air-conditioning controls.

"They're treating adults as if we're all stupid.

"Our concern is that they say it's just a guideline now but within a year or two there will be people who say 'let's ban smoking while driving'."

Oooh, The machine of a dream, such a clean machine With the pistons a pumpin', and the alloys all gleam, When I'm holding your wheel, All I hear is your gear, With my hand on your grease gun, Mmm it's like a disease son, I'm in love with my car, gotta feel for my automobile, Get a grip on my .......
Sponsored Links

Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2007 at 13:27

I for one think this is a stupid move and totally uneccessary.

Muppets.

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2007 at 14:08

Well I'd agree!

After nearly being hit by a driver who was trying to turn right with one hand cos the other hand was being used to hold his fag.

Andrew

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
daddy cool View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daddy cool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2007 at 15:42

what the hell is this country coming too .  why cant these idiots concentrate on more important things  like policing the streets against guns,knives,illegal imigrants and all other manner of illeagal activitys that actually effect people's quality of life.

i promise you this boys and girls , if i ever get stopped for smoking in my car you'l see me on the news,,,, after i beat the living daylights out the halfwit copper . funnily enough  my next door neighbor has just said exectly the same thing  and he's a traffic officer .

rant over

• Do not use objectionable language. It is our intention to keep the language levels appropriate for family viewing. Any offensive wording will be edited!

Edited by Webdunk
e30 2.7 cab
e30 325i
e30 325 sport
e30 318 touring
e28 m5
e28 m535
e34 m5
e39 540
e36 318ti (green)
e36 318ti (mauve)
Webdunk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
M3 GT Register

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Webdunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2007 at 16:19
I think it's fair enough. It's easily as dangerous as using a mobile - albeit for different reasons. It's not like it'll be enforced anyway cos there are no traffic cops left on the road.
Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2007 at 17:28
They'll use those camera things and the brown envelope that pops through your letter box. 

Sport Evolution Schwarz #043
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2007 at 00:31

Nothing will happen & nothing has changed.

All this will do is encourage the antis to actually try and ban smoking whilst driving, until that happens, just ignore the sad gits.

Driving without due care & attention is an opinion based offence that the officer has to prove, you do not have to prove your innocence

And Mr webdunc, being as your so interested in safe driving, you done that advanced course yet ? or you just an armchair safety expert ?

Best Wishes

Nigel

Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2007 at 13:31

Originally posted by Webdunk Webdunk wrote:

I think it's fair enough. It's easily as dangerous as using a mobile - albeit for different reasons.

If smoking while driving is dangerous then they should not allow cup holders in cars that can be acessed by the driver. They should remove heater controls, stereos etc, all of which can potentially take your hands away from the primary controls of the car.

A mobile phone is dangerous because talking on the phone takes concentration. Also by holding a mobile phone to your ear you lose the abillity to use that hand to drive. You can hold a fag in the same hand while steering the car, I know i've done it.

I just don't think that it causes any danger at all, and this is from an ex smoker who supports the smoking ban.

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
Mick525i View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mick525i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2007 at 14:19

Im a total anti smoker but we dont need lots of smoke junkies going cold turkey while behind the wheel. Smokers cant cope with stress unless they have a fag?? Road rage will increase if smoking is banned in cars....... God damm nanny state.

Mick

Cheers
Mick

BMW E21 318 1980
BMW E39 525i 2002 MTech
VW Golf Gti 2003
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-September-2007 at 00:01
Originally posted by Peter Fenwick Peter Fenwick wrote:

Originally posted by Webdunk Webdunk wrote:

I think it's fair enough. It's easily as dangerous as using a mobile - albeit for different reasons.

If smoking while driving is dangerous then they should not allow cup holders in cars that can be acessed by the driver. They should remove heater controls, stereos etc, all of which can potentially take your hands away from the primary controls of the car.

A mobile phone is dangerous because talking on the phone takes concentration. Also by holding a mobile phone to your ear you lose the abillity to use that hand to drive. You can hold a fag in the same hand while steering the car, I know i've done it.

I just don't think that it causes any danger at all, and this is from an ex smoker who supports the smoking ban.

Good god Mr Fenwick, I never thought I'd find myself saying this, but well said you miserable anti smoking git

Best Wishes

Nigel

540 V8 View Drop Down
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-September-2007 at 21:49

I'm another anti smoking git but as long as you are careful, I see no need to ban it. My mother in law drops her fags regularly when driving and then fumbles about in the footwell burning herself trying to rescue it! now THAT is very dangerous but we aren't all that stupid now are we!

Another one was when a mate of mine was at school, his friend was being driven somewhere by a teacher who was smoking while driving. He flicked the fag ash out of the window but a burning bit flew back in and hit him in the eye. He totalled the car, broke both his legs, blinded in one eye and the poor kid suffered some nasty cuts n bruises with 2 weeks in hospital.

So as I was saying, as long as you are careful

Mike

Edited by 540 V8

Current:E34 540i Touring 6 speed manual(Mpower bodykit & suspension)& Chrysler Voyager 3.3 V6 auto
Previous:E34 530iSE AC Schnitzer suspension.
E28 525e auto-Standard
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic