Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Irish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedA tale of woe!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adzy216 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A tale of woe!
    Posted: 07-October-2007 at 19:46
Well, what can i say? Just back of the hols and after the car sitting at the airport for a week, it started 1st time and drove the 100miles home spot on. But alas after driving only a few miles this morning, the ol' gal has just been dropped off in the drive by a rescue truck. Only stopped for 5mins outside herself's house and it's turning over like crazy but won't fire up! Fuel pump possibly? How much? and how easy of a job? One thing that did happen on the way up last week was when sitting in traffic in Carlow, she revved high on her own and nearly died, but after a blip of the throttle she was ok. Any sympathy or advice much appreciated at this time of despair!!
Always willing to learn
Sponsored Links

m3sport View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m3sport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-October-2007 at 20:25
Sounds to me like its having a problem getting air.  This same used happen to me on my e36.  A rubber pipe in the engine used pop out, and only needed popping back in which was a 5sec job.  Perhaps this could be it.If so, it will cost you nothing to fix if you use a tir wrap.
I miss my m3.......
adzy216 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adzy216 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-October-2007 at 20:47
Thank's M3, sounds a possibility ok. I feel doubtful it's the fuel-pump as it's trying to fire up but just won't run on. Where abouts should i look for the pipe? Is it around the vacuum pump?
Always willing to learn
lesurely View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lesurely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-October-2007 at 08:26

Try this site http://www.bimmerdiy.com/e36 its good and has lots of pictures for us mer plebs.

e30 325is (deceased)
e36 318is under major construction
E39 530D Sport mtec (all the bells and whistles )

Basic unit of laryngitis: 1 hoarsepower
lesurely
adzy216 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adzy216 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-October-2007 at 15:10
Well, got up this morning and she started first time. Drove out to garage and he said it must be a problem with the immobiliser and sent me off again. But it wouldn't start after being in town for an hour. So in he comes to tow me and the bloddy thing started when he got there. He now reckons it's an electrical fault in the fuel-pump (as the immobiliser is connected to the starter). But alas, he don't know where the fuel-pump is!!!!!! So i've left it with him and am hoping for the best. He's a good mechanic mind, so i have a bit of faith. 
Always willing to learn
Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dergside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-October-2007 at 15:41

A couple of years ago we had a problem with Mrs D's e36 316i whereby itwould start perfectly from cold but would just turn over and over if started from hot.  If it was left for a couple of hours again it would start perfectly.  Initially I thought it was immobiliser related so rather than try and fix it I had the immob removed and replaced without any success.

I had it with the main dealer for weeks and they went through changing sensors, ecu's, etc.  Eventually after exhausting all the mechanical and electronic stuff they got their multi-meter out and traced a fault in the wiring loom.  The shielding on a wire had worn and caused a short when hot.

The moral of the story - don't overlook the simple when looking for a complicated solution.

Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
adzy216 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adzy216 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-October-2007 at 17:41
Mechanic just rang me and told me fuel-pump IS gone. If that's the case, would it still start sometimes and stay running when it does? Searching mad on the net but can't find the answer to that one. Anyone know whether that's possible?
Always willing to learn
jrafferty View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrafferty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-October-2007 at 19:07
Try the fuel pump relay before splashing out on a fuel pump,it is a common problem on bmw`s
bmw 323i tc baur(1985)bmw635csi man/lsd(1980)
adzy216 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adzy216 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-October-2007 at 21:02
Thank's JR. Mechanic told me he took the wiring off the pump and connected a bulb to the wires and it lit. Would that mean that the relay would be ok or that there still could be an intermittent fault? i.e the only way to eliminate it would be to put in a new relay regardless? I'd hate to shell out for a pump (i think about 100euro for a bosch, $64US on the net, but i need it sooner rather than later) and then still have the same problem.
Always willing to learn
adzy216 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adzy216 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2007 at 17:55
Right, latest is, autofactor wants 390euro for a pump. So they know where they can stick that. Bit of net shopping ahead. Will any e34 pump do? Any help please.

Always willing to learn
Ben O Brien View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben O Brien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2007 at 18:20
I have a spare pump here out of a 525i if its any use?
99' 740iL   
99' 728i Sport
98' E39 M5 - Avus Blue, Dec Car!
96' M3 Saloon - Estoril Blue
94' M3 3.0 Convertible
91' E34 M5 - 3.6, Macau Blue

*E36 M3's Breaking*
jrafferty View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrafferty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2007 at 18:50

Try german,swedish,french motorparts,i bought a fuel pump for my 1980 635csi 2 weeks ago only cost €138 which was a nice surprise as i was expecting a price of about €400.Took a week to get it but i dont think it will take that long for an e34 one.

Phone them before you buy anywhere else.

p.s.. my new fuel pump didnt fix the problem and the same as what your mechanic did with the bulb lighting up.Im back to a faulty fuel pump relay although the bulb is lighting maybe theres not enough current going through.

bmw 323i tc baur(1985)bmw635csi man/lsd(1980)
adzy216 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adzy216 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2007 at 19:40
Thanks a million Ben. I'm still trying to cross reference parts to see what will be compatible. I can't imagine they'd make different pumps for different models as it's the injection unit that is the regulator in the fuel system. But you never can tell. And as i'm as thick as 2 short planks, this searching  is a bit difficult. But i'll get there. Just need a few guinness in the system to wake up the ol' grey matter.
Always willing to learn
Barry_Mc View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry_Mc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2007 at 19:47

adzy, i'm in waterford, had same problem with e36.....

changed fuel pump, relays - fuel pump and DME, no joy, played around with air box, hose, fuel line, battery, checked all the fuses, manifold...changed gaskets (bit off track but when i dismantled i replaced everything when piecing it together. i had diagnostics done didn't show anything.

when i got it checked mech told me the volts were 8v at pump and 12 at relay so he claimed the wiring or connection at the pump or on route to the pump were faulty.

i haven't got round to checking the wires so unfortunately i don't have the answer but i'm slowly running out of ideas and final solution looks promising, although m3's suggestion is def worth a go. (thanks m3)

adzy216 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adzy216 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2007 at 19:53
Thanks Barry. I've cross checked all the E34 fuel pumps and they all have the same part number. I'm gonna give yer man in Hugginstown a ring tomorrow as i've been told he has a few E34s out there. If i can get one off him for small money and it's not the problem i won't be too badly off. But the last last resort will be diagnostics in Bolands, but i shiver at the thought of taking it out to them.
Always willing to learn
adzy216 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adzy216 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2007 at 17:40
German Swedish and French = 190euro. BMbitz, UK Ł47sterling inc P+P. Big difference from The 390 quoted by deise parts.
Always willing to learn
Barry_Mc View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry_Mc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2007 at 21:54

fair play, i'll prob be stoned for saying it but you could sus out advance for diagnostic, i got it done there, got the all clear and they didn't charge me for it (50e otherwise) i'm sure i caught them on a good day but worst case might be worth a try.

adzy216 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adzy216 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2007 at 22:01
Cheers Barry. Hopefully Ben has come to the rescue (Thanks Ben). I'm getting a pump off him saturday. But thanks for the tip about Advance, didn't know they did the diagnostics. If i'm still snookered with the new pump in i'll take a trip there. Hope this don't drag on too long, driving a taxless car at the mo and pc plod is everywhere in town lately.
Always willing to learn
adzy216 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adzy216 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-October-2007 at 20:17
Ah well. no luck with Ben's pump. So much for my cross-checking. Back to the drawing board.
Always willing to learn
adzy216 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adzy216 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2007 at 23:56
Ahhh, back in bavarian country again, at last. And it smells a lot sweeter than the wrecks i've had to drive the last 2 weeks. Fuel pump 70euros, (thanks Midland BM). Labour 80euro, (Thanks Nicky, Chevrolet Waterford). No thanks Bolands Waterford, I'll keep my 500 plus euros! I'm gonna stick up a few miles this weekend and enjoy every one of them with plenty extra cash for fuel.
Always willing to learn
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic