Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > General Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedAnatomy of a dog attack

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dryle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-October-2007 at 11:00

Wasnt there a case a few years back about a doberman or rottweiler attacking a baby in a pram. This was before the advent of the internet.

Dave Ryle

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -- George Bernard Shaw
Sponsored Links

540 V8 View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-October-2007 at 22:34
Originally posted by Nigel Nigel wrote:

I'm very interested by all of this.

I have two labradors, one chocolate, one golden, I've been around this breed and alsations for my entire life.

I'm very embarrased to have to say it, but recently my dogs "packed" and attacked another dog.

I am at a total loss to explain their behaviour, they were in a wood they are familiar with, they are always off lead in this wood, they mix with other dogs every day, they play with anyone who will play with them.

The other dog, a spaniel, was hurt badly but has survived, its owner and I know each other, these dogs know each other.

Neither the other owner or myself have a clue as to what went wrong that day, we were just having a smoke together, the dogs were doing their own thing, not playing with each other, then my golden lab attacked, and the chocolate one joined in with no worries.

I've seen labradors get very annoyed, usually by silly people that think they are teddy bears and encroach onto the dogs territory.

I'm at this moment very unsure what to do with my two, weve been back to the woods, I've observed them very closely, and its as if nothing has happened, but according to the original poster, I'm an irresponsible dog owner, as I just don't know what caused them to attack that day.

I did not label you an irresponsible dog owner and I did not intend for you to feel that way My whole point is to state that in cases of dogs attacking humans, it is quite often the owners fault that the dog does what it does but now always, as in the story, a lovely dog and un-provoked attack but the dog in it's own little world thought he had good reason. Some instances are un-explainable but maybe you could ask a dog behavourist or there are dog forums out there too, someone there may be able to assist?

Mike

Edited by 540 V8

Current:E34 540i Touring 6 speed manual(Mpower bodykit & suspension)& Chrysler Voyager 3.3 V6 auto
Previous:E34 530iSE AC Schnitzer suspension.
E28 525e auto-Standard
540 V8 View Drop Down
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-October-2007 at 22:50
Originally posted by Peter Fenwick Peter Fenwick wrote:

Originally posted by 540 V8 540 V8 wrote:

A proper pedigree (as mine are) are pure bred and bred by professional breaders for particular useful attributes they have but they still need to be trained to realise those attributes.

What useful attributes does a Staffordshire bull terrier have?

Weren't they bred for fighting originally?

None, as they are not working dogs. Yes they were originally bred for fighting but that is more due to their size and muscle as opposed to a bad temperament. I have a couple of friends who have them and they are more soppy than a wet sponge. Again, a badly brough up staff could potentially be nasty, but couldn't any badly trained dog?

Mike

Current:E34 540i Touring 6 speed manual(Mpower bodykit & suspension)& Chrysler Voyager 3.3 V6 auto
E28 525e auto-Standard
540 V8 View Drop Down
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-October-2007 at 23:07
Originally posted by daddy cool daddy cool wrote:

ive been a dog lover/owner for as long as i can remember and none of my dogs have ever attacked anyone or anything if anything they have been on the receiving end of attacks and none of them have been what you would call small or wimpish dogs .  I see a couple of you have mentioned the "DANGEROUS DOG" line , now thats a tag that really annoys me !  my dogs have all been in that band  yet have all been attacked by "loving family" dogs  usually labs,retrievers,collies even jack russels and possibly the funniest time a minature yorkie  yet never bitten back .

it has absolutly nothing to do with the dogs themselves , its the owners that have the sort of dogs your talking about that are the problem . staffordshire pitbull terriers are the usual target for the halfwit asbo muppets that  buy them as a fashion statement  or simply over feed them to make them big and then walk around with them to make themselves look hard . (if swearing was allowed you would see how much this makes my blood boil).

so what exactly is dangerous about these beautiful animals ?  they may have the ability to do major damage but so does a poodle so whats the difference ?  ITS THE OWNERS . 

dog licencing is a bloody good idea imho , it might stop these asbo wannabe's from getting hold of loving family pets and turning them into hated creatures .

and finally for the record , staffies werent originally bred for fighting . they were bred as nurserie dogs to protect babies and children.

im guessing some of you will never change your opinion on these types of dogs but if my experiences can give you a very small amount of positive feeling towards them then i guess my job is done .

I couldn't agree more. My dogs if they are charging at you can look extremely menacing but would never harm a thing. My black shepherd was once attacked by two dogs who ganged up on him and he actually ran so far out of sight, I had to call several times before he came back. It took me 6 months to get him to feel safe with other dogs. As for my other one, he barks at other dogs and people but thatas his way of saying "look at me, I'm here!" and thats about it.

Staffs are a fashion statement to the chav part of society and this is what gives them a bad name. They are rarely/never trained and so just work off instinct and when they do wrong are often bullied by their owners rather than shown how to do things right. As already mentioned "dangerous dogs" tag is annoying. I'm sure less than 2% of the population are violent, murderous and rapists so should we label all humans with the same tag? because this is how dogs are being labelled through no fault of their own. I'm sure all humans have the potential to be bad but it depends on their temperament and upbringing as to how they are and it's the same with dogs.

Mike

Edited by 540 V8

E28 525e auto-Standard
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic