Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > General Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedAnatomy of a dog attack

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anatomy of a dog attack
    Posted: 09-October-2007 at 21:26

Being a dog owner, I'm fed up of dog attacks getting dogs a bad name. Dogs will only attack if shown the wrong signals or they or members of their pack (family) are threatened.

If we want to be a nation of dog owners, we have to learn more about them, not make them conform to human morals which they are never going to understand.

This story is a big long but well written and I feel gives a fantastic insight into what really provokes a dog to attack.

It's about time we understood them more! (I have had permission from the author to reproduce this to raise awareness of this point)

Anatomy of a Dog Attack ~ Copyright © Ryan O’Meara

“Out of the blue, it attacked for no reason”
When a dog attack is reported we will often hear the same old phrases bandied about.

“It came out of the blue”

“It was totally unprovoked”

“We didn’t see it coming”

“It was totally out of character”

Ring any bells? Well let’s try and understand how and why a dog might attack someone.

Dogs rarely, if ever, attack for no reason. Us humans often misinterpret a dog attacking “out of the blue” and “without warning”‘ because we simply missed the signs.

Let’s be clear about one thing. A dog who is prepared to bite someone has his reasons. Can we, as humans, justify those reasons using the social values of people? Probably not. But of course, dogs do not live their lives according to human social values.

Here is the story of John, Henry and Max.

John has no wife or children. For the last five years he’s lived with his best friend in the world a playful Labrador called Max.

John is excited today. Henry, an old friend from school who he hasn’t seen for many years is visiting.

John decides today would be a good day to get his garden tidied, make a good impression on his old school chum.

As John gets busy in amongst the weeds in the front garden, he spies his old mate making his way up the street.

Henry’s been looking forward to catching up with John for weeks and, as he’s never been to his home before, finds himself feeling somewhat jubilant to realise he’s managed to find the street on which John lives without too much trouble and can now relish the prospect of seeing his friend again as well as finally getting to meet the only true love of John’s life, the much talked about Max.

It’s a hot and sunny day and Henry is wearing his sunglasses. Further up the street he spots John working in his front garden.

John’s already noticed Henry making his way towards him and yells out, “Hi Henry. Fancy a beer?”

Henry shouts back, “Sounds just the job. Can you believe this heat?”.

As per usual, Max has been ‘helping’ John with his gardening exploits by digging holes of his own all over the lawn. John doesn’t mind. He only wanted the garden so he could have somewhere safe to play fetch with Max on sunny days like today. He’s never been one for trying to keep it immaculate when Max’s favourite hobby is trying to tunnel his way to China.

Max has stopped his gardening though. He’s become preoccupied by the exchange between John and Henry and he’s taken a trip the front gate to see what’s going on.

“I wonder who this bloke is?” ponders Max.

“Why would he and John be shouting at other?” he thinks to himself.

“I’d better be on full alert.” he concludes. “John’s just shouted at this chap so he obviously wants me to keep an eye out.”

Max fixes himself in position at the front gate and hoists his tail high into the air, he’s keen to let the oncoming stranger know he’s about.

John doesn’t notice.

Henry’s still coming. So Max decides he needs to be more clear. He starts to emit a deep, low growl in Henry’s direction just to make certain the stranger who’s purposely striding towards him, his owner and HIS garden is left in no uncertain terms that he’s not moving

Henry’s still coming. And now he’s close enough for Max to notice his sunglasses. “This is getting more serious by the second”, thinks Max. “He’s not only not listening to me, he’s staring right at me. I know, I’ll stare right back at him. See if he’s as brave then.”

Problems. Henry is still as brave. To Max, Henry’s sunglasses look like wide, staring eyes, boring straight ahead and as he marches staunchly toward the increasingly anxious Labrador, Max wonders what his next move might be. As body language goes, Henry is showing all the signs of refusing to listen to Max’s advice.

Now tense and feeling genuinely threatened, Max is offered an escape. John jogs inside to fetch a couple of bottles of beer and Max is only too pleased to hurriedly follow his master. Max is somewhat relieved to suspect that John, his idol, is just as scared as he is about the relentless stranger pursuing them both from outside the garden gate.

“Shut the door John, shut the door” Max worries. “He’s still coming and you haven’t closed the door”.

Too late. Max’s heart leaps as he hears the gate swing open. Too late.

His worst fears are confirmed. The unrelenting Henry is now purposefully making his way up the garden path and toward the the house where Max and John are isolated, cornered and in Max’s case, petrified.

Gathering up every ounce of his canine courage and without a second’s thought for his own safety Max charges out of the house, tail hoisted aloft and barking his war cry as loud as his voice will muster. He heads straight for Henry wondering why this stalking maniac refused to listen to all of his earlier warnings.

“You might kill me but you’ll never take John”, Max decides.

Henry, his face very quickly drained of all its colour, is shocked and taken aback to be confronted by a clearly furious Max, the dog he’d heard so many nice stories about from doting John. This isn’t at all the dog he thought he’d be meeting.

Henry, alarmed and frightened makes his way toward Max, attempting to offer a hand of reassurance and friendship.

Max is having none of it.

“John warned you. Then I warned you. Why wouldn’t you just listen?”, reasoned Max.

Undeterred by Henry’s advance and determined not to let his owner come to any harm, Max lunges in Henry’s direction.

The realisation that Max is a long way past the stage of being able to be pacified dawns on Henry fast and he hastily tries to beat a retreat back out of the gate from which he entered.

John, hearing the commotion and now panic stricken by Max’s attack bellows “No! Max, no.”

Acutely tuned to his owner’s emotions and sensing the fear and alarm in John’s voice, Max forges ahead and launches into a full scale attack on Henry.

And then, as quick as it began, it was over.

An ambulance arrives to take Henry away and, hearing the commotion, John’s neighbours have summoned the Police.

John can be heard explaining, “He’s never done anything like this before“, the attack came “totally out of the blue“, Max was always “such a trustworthy dog“, he’s “never shown any signs of aggression in his life“, the attack was “totally unprovoked“.

But we know differently don’t we?

Let’s look again at how Max saw things unfold:

1: Max spots a man walking toward his and his owner’s garden - ‘his territory’
2: Not unduly worried, Max paid little attention to the stranger until John shouted in Henry’s direction. To Max, this was a clear signal to ‘watch for danger’
3: Obediently, Max sat at the front gate and watched for that danger.
4: He attempted to signal to Henry by putting his tail in the air and growling, that he was prepared to defend his owner and territory.
5: As Henry gets closer, Max again postures but now spots Henry’s aggressive body language, his wide eyes refusing to overt their gaze a clear signal of intent. Henry’s point blank refusal to alter his path, a sure fire gesture of defiance.
6: As John runs inside, Max’s thoughts turn to escape. He now believes John is as scared as he is and they should both seek shelter from the safety of the house.
7: Too late. As Henry enters the garden (Max and John’s territory) Max does what he thinks his owner needs him to do. He defends against the threat.
8: As Henry runs away and John panics, Max takes this as a sign that he should increase his attack, his canine instincts now in complete overdrive.

So let us again question whether John was correct when he explained to Police that Max’s attack was unprovoked.

Was it unprovoked? Not at all.

Was it unjustified in human, social terms? Absolutely.

Was it avoidable? Totally.

The Aftermath

Henry, his pain eased only slightly by drugs lies motionless in a hospital bed and starts to face the reality that a visit to see a dear, old friend has left him disfigured for the rest of his life. He ponders how best to explain to his young children that he’s still their Dad even though he knows his mutilated features will upset them deeply. He wonders how life will be from now on, how people will react to him.

Max, confused and still frightened by the terrifying ordeal earlier in the day is now wondering why he’s found himself confined to a small, secure cage at the vet surgery.

He stares through the bars and looks longingly towards the door, hoping against hope that he will soon be reunited with his trusted friend and master, John.

Unbeknown to Max, he’ll never see John again.

As the door swings open, Max’s tail momentarily begins to wag but he’s deflated. It’s not John. It’s a vet nurse.

He’s still pleased to see her. He’s lonely and upset and he just wants to go home and be with his friend.

He’s too pre-occupied to wonder why the vet nurse seems so wary of him. Wanting to put her at ease, he submissively offers up his paw. As the vet nurse holds it, she carefully shaves a small patch of fur away from his leg.

Max didn’t even notice the injection.

On this day it wasn’t only Max’s body that was destroyed as John’s memories of a kind, gentle, fun loving dog died too.

He asks himself once more, “Why did my dog attack someone for no reason?”

John may never know it, but Max had his reasons.

Dogs do not bite people without reason. They do not attack out of the blue. They do not launch into savage, frenzied assaults without provocation despite what you will undoubtedly read in news reports when the next dog attack hits the press.

There are NO devil dogs. There are NO unprovoked dog attacks. There IS a huge gap in understanding amongst some dog owners about why dogs attack and until we can bridge that gap in education people will continue to be attacked and more and more dogs will join Max, their memories destroyed along with their bodies.

Killing individual dog breeds is not the solution to a problem whicn runs throughs an entire species. Oh, and if you were left in any doubt, that species isn’t canine.

Copyright © Ryan O’Meara |

Current:E34 540i Touring 6 speed manual(Mpower bodykit & suspension)& Chrysler Voyager 3.3 V6 auto
Previous:E34 530iSE AC Schnitzer suspension.
E28 525e auto-Standard
Sponsored Links

Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2007 at 11:51

This is all very well and I agree with the overall sentiment, dogs act on their instincts, many of which most dog owners don't understand, but...

Some dogs are bred specifically for their agressive nature. Rotweillers for example make good guard dogs and breeds such as Pitbulls have been bred to fight. While you cannot blame the dog for what it is (or how it has been bred by humans) that doesn't mean you can excuse the fact that they can be dangerous.

Sure in the correct hands and with the proper training almost any dog can be safe but you cannot expect everyone who may come into contact with that dog to be know how to behave and how to read the signs, especially children.

I am not a dog owner and while I have nothing against them I do not see why I should have to adapt my behaviour to ensure that I am not attacked by a Dog.

At the end of the day the problem lies with Dog owners. I would question anyone who choses to own a fighting dog such as a pitbull. You can understand the desire to own a guard Dog, but not one bred purely for fighting.

Dogs are predators. There is only one actual species of Dog, so that playful pooch you have in your home is the same species as the European Wolf and the African wild Dogs that hunt in packs. If you decide to own a dog than it is up to you to make sure you train it correctly and understand the responsibillity you have to make sure you can control it.

People who have dogs that end up being destroyed due to biting someone should be banned from owning a dog again without having been through proper training, as it is after all their fault that the dog attacked in the first place.

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
Jack735 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack735 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2007 at 13:24

Well said Peter I agree.  And ......

IMO dog owners should require a licence that allows them to own a dog and would in some way show that they are a suitable person and know how to take care of dog(s) properly.

Furthermore I’d like to see all dogs registered and chipped against their owners licence with a sample of the dogs DNA kept on record.

Any inappropriate behaviour by either licence holder or the dog, particularly where the dogs are allowed to roam and defecate the streets would be dealt with appropriately.

I’m sick to the gunnels of avoiding dog turds on the street.  Particularly sickening over the past few months is seeing a young blind guy stepping in and a young mother pushing her pram through.  It made me wonder if the young guy had been blinded by a disease that his mother unknowingly brought into their house on the wheels of his pram.

Its not dogs I dislike, its irresponsible dog owners.

Owners must be made to take responsibility for their dogs.

Oooh, The machine of a dream, such a clean machine With the pistons a pumpin', and the alloys all gleam, When I'm holding your wheel, All I hear is your gear, With my hand on your grease gun, Mmm it's like a disease son, I'm in love with my car, gotta feel for my automobile, Get a grip on my .......
Rossi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rossi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2007 at 14:00
Agree with some sort of license fund for dog owners and that the owner is responsible for the dogs actions/behaviour. The license fee funds should be apportioned to the RSPCA or such like to assist their good work and also the community wardens, who's job it is to get rid of the dugsh1t on the street anyway and fine dog owners who don't clear up after them. (Although I for one, haven't heard of any incidents of fining dog owners at all for this crime..)
I have even complained to the council about the dog excrement on the streets, who in turn say, that it's the community wardens' department to deal with this, and that my concerns have been passed onto them.
A week or so later, I see a community warden van parked in a lay-by in the countryside...WTF is he doing there?? Shouldn't he be in the town doing his rounds? ..anyway (grumpy old man rant over)

It's not the dogs fault, it's the inconsiderate owners..

Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dergside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-October-2007 at 18:05

The problems are not directly with the animals but more correctly with inappropriate control of the animals and owners not taking responsibility for themselves and/or their animals.  Same things applies with cars, in themselves they rarely kill but if inappropriately controlled they can.

I completely agree with Peter that the general public should not have to alter their behaviour to avoid being attacked by dogs - although a basic level of common sense in the general public should be a reasonable expectation too.  People would consider it ridiculous if someone suggested that everyone should stay indoors forever so that muggers can't attack them when its a not unreasonable expectation that people should be able to go about their business without undue fear of attack.  If the animals are appropriately controlled (by actions or training) then the issue doesn't arise and there is no conflict. 

Edited by Dergside
Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
bmw1066 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
GOOD OLD E23

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmw1066 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-October-2007 at 18:29
that's the sort of thing you hear from snoty dog oners. I have been bitten and atacket FOR NO reason I did'nt even see the dog. The other time I was out walking My dog on a lead when this other dog came from no wear I had to cover my border Cole and then other dog went 4 me My dog was never the same again see was geting old but it was a big knock for her. I miss my dog. I can't stand people that can't control Dog's there the one's that should be putt down :(
Mark 735 se 1982
RED BARON A E23 is for life not just for x-mas
BMW e34 530 v8 Sport kit
Spelling always Bad
Rossi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rossi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-October-2007 at 18:30

Originally posted by Dergside Dergside wrote:

although a basic level of common sense in the general public should be a reasonable expectation too.

LMAO too far!

There is nothing written for common sense, so where are they gonna find that out?

Maybe 'Dog awareness' evening classes.. 

540 V8 View Drop Down
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-October-2007 at 20:26

I agree totally. I have been part of a campaign for about a year now to try and get dog ownership licenced. In order to gain a provisional licence you should be able to prove that you have the knowlege to train the dog, and show the dog will be kept in a good home. There is a scheme called the good dog citizen scheme. There are 3 levels, bronze, silver and gold. Each level is a number of tests that the dog and owner must pass to achieve that level. This would be the final test to gain the full license.

I have 3 kids all under the age of 5 so I'd never have dogs that are dangerous. Rottweilers are actually one of the most gentle species you can imagine. It's only their appearance ,the fact they are bred as guard dogs and a couple of attacks that got in the press that give them a bad name. Working dogs are bred for their particular attributes. German shepherds are good as police dogs because they are very intelligent, obidient and strong making them ideal. Rottweilers on the other hand naturally have a good temperament and are only used as guard dogs because of their agressive looks. They are not naturally hard dogs, quite the opposite infact. Pitbulls on the other hand I do have to agree, it's bred into them to be natually agressive and it was right to ban them.

That poor baby who was mauled a few months back was a tragedy and the dogs were put down for doing what they are trained to do. The people were staying round their parents pub to look after it while the owners were away. The dogs are guard dogs for the pub. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out that leaving a poor defensless baby who is a stranger on their territory that they are trained to protect, was going to be at risk. The owners should not have left the dogs with the family at all or at least the dogs should have never been left with the baby for a second.

Again, it comes down to the owners NOT the dogs who are at fault. As I have what are usually used as guard/army/police dogs I'm just fed up with the bad press the dogs get but never any mention of the owners being bad owners. It's these people who give my dogs a bad name.

I know my dogs are fine with anyone, but I'd still never leave my kids with them no matter what because they may just push the dogs boundries too far and that cannot happen. I have trained my dogs to tolerate my kids. They can pull their fur, tease them, take food off them or anything like that and my dogs will just walk away or just sit there patiently waiting for it to stop!

Whether the licence scheme ever happens or not we'll never know but one thing is for sure, it's the owner who makes the dog who they are, just like it is us who makes our kids what they are.

Mike

Current:E34 540i Touring 6 speed manual(Mpower bodykit & suspension)& Chrysler Voyager 3.3 V6 auto
E28 525e auto-Standard
540 V8 View Drop Down
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-October-2007 at 20:32

Yes I forgot to mention the dog mess too. There are one or two dog owners near me who I have seen let their dogs foul on the grass and not pick it up. It makes my blood boil because it could be my kids who end up in it. I actually took a picture on my phone once of the owner with the dog caught in the act. I then emailed the pic to the council with the owners address .  I saw them a week later carrying some bags and picking up after their dog!  I only have 2 more owners to shop locally and I may be able to walk my dogs without worring about stepping in someone elses mess!

Mike

P.S. I'll bring my dogs to Gaydon next year and you can see how lovely they are

E28 525e auto-Standard
Rossi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rossi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-October-2007 at 21:57

Originally posted by 540 V8 540 V8 wrote:

Yes Mike, I'm sure thepits would love to meet them.. 

GWatson View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GWatson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-October-2007 at 22:20
"Dogs will only attack if shown the wrong signals or they or members of their pack (family) are threatened."

Having been the victim of a dog attack I completly disagree with you first statement and many others. I was attacked by a Doberman in a well know forestry walk, which is full of families with young kids.

This guy had two dogs which were completly out of control, one dog was circling me before the attack, not only did he not have control of the dogs but he didn't seen overly concerned when my friends were shouting to get the dogs under control.

I was actually on my bike at the time when it attacked. Is bit me straight into the back of my leg. Now I ride mountain bikes all the time, but what would of happened if it was a four years old girl, she would of lost her ballance then god know what the dog would have done.

We reported it to the police.

I now believe dogs with a dangerous predigree should not be allowed in public places or at least on a lead.

My partners friend also had a Doberman and I know exactly what it's like, I've heard the stories of what it's done, thankfully its aggression is directed towards other dogs and not people, well not yet!

So what was the reason for this attack then? If you say dogs don't attack for no reason.... bull! If it's because I was on a bike and it felt intiminated well that's not good enough, they shouldn't be allowed in a public place if that's the case. These beautiful places are for people to enjoy, not a place we should feel threatened in.

Edited by GWatson
BMW E36 M3 Evo Track Car
Ford Mondeo ST TDCI Estate for everything else
Nick View Drop Down
BMWCC Area Organiser Yorks & Humber

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-October-2007 at 20:09
I totally agree that dog owners should be licensed (no high fees though) and the dogs should be collared and tagged.
I have been around dogs all my life but have yet to be bitten despite having met some real nasty characters in the boarding kennels that we used to run.
Some people just dont get bitten.. you are either at one with Gods beasts or you 'aint.. and most folk 'aint.

Thats why only 'bombproof' dogs should be allowed to run around in places with Joe Public as I am afraid that through no fault of his own Joe puts himself at risk by being with animals that he cannot or does not want to understand.

Edited by Nick
540 V8 View Drop Down
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-October-2007 at 22:17

Originally posted by GWatson GWatson wrote:

"Dogs will only attack if shown the wrong signals or they or members of their pack (family) are threatened."

Having been the victim of a dog attack I completly disagree with you first statement and many others. I was attacked by a Doberman in a well know forestry walk, which is full of families with young kids.

This guy had two dogs which were completly out of control, one dog was circling me before the attack, not only did he not have control of the dogs but he didn't seen overly concerned when my friends were shouting to get the dogs under control.

I was actually on my bike at the time when it attacked. Is bit me straight into the back of my leg. Now I ride mountain bikes all the time, but what would of happened if it was a four years old girl, she would of lost her ballance then god know what the dog would have done.

We reported it to the police.

I now believe dogs with a dangerous predigree should not be allowed in public places or at least on a lead.

My partners friend also had a Doberman and I know exactly what it's like, I've heard the stories of what it's done, thankfully its aggression is directed towards other dogs and not people, well not yet!

So what was the reason for this attack then? If you say dogs don't attack for no reason.... bull! If it's because I was on a bike and it felt intiminated well that's not good enough, they shouldn't be allowed in a public place if that's the case. These beautiful places are for people to enjoy, not a place we should feel threatened in.

OK, I didn't make it clear. What I meant was, wel controlled dogs won't attack for no reason. I myself was attacked by a german shepherd when I was 6 and still have the scar on my knee but I hold it against the owner. I don't remember much more about it apart from the fact it flippin hurt and bled a lot!

Some dogs are not disciplined and just like some unruly kids, can be completely out of control, both of which can cause severe damage. The kids usually only vandalise things like cars whereas dogs will attack people but again, it's their owners/parents that are usually to blame as they have had no control and therefore do not know any boundries.

I fully sympathise with anyone who has ever been attacked but the point I'm making is instead of just killing the dogs, the owners should face severe punishment unless it can be proved the dogs were acting in self defense.

The only thing I'm a bit confused about is what you mean by 'dangerous pedigree'? A proper pedigree (as mine are) are pure bred and bred by professional breaders for particular useful attributes they have but they still need to be trained to realise those attributes. In my opinion the only thing that makes a dangerous dog is a dangerous owner. Any dog, no matter what pedigree has the potential to attack and be viscious, again, depending on it's owner. Look at cases in the past where horrific attacks have taken place by humans. In those cases either mental health is at fault or a bad background of poor dicipline and there is no such pedigree involved with humans.

Mike

Edited by 540 V8

E28 525e auto-Standard
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-October-2007 at 23:32

I'm very interested by all of this.

I have two labradors, one chocolate, one golden, I've been around this breed and alsations for my entire life.

I'm very embarrased to have to say it, but recently my dogs "packed" and attacked another dog.

I am at a total loss to explain their behaviour, they were in a wood they are familiar with, they are always off lead in this wood, they mix with other dogs every day, they play with anyone who will play with them.

The other dog, a spaniel, was hurt badly but has survived, its owner and I know each other, these dogs know each other.

Neither the other owner or myself have a clue as to what went wrong that day, we were just having a smoke together, the dogs were doing their own thing, not playing with each other, then my golden lab attacked, and the chocolate one joined in with no worries.

I've seen labradors get very annoyed, usually by silly people that think they are teddy bears and encroach onto the dogs territory.

I'm at this moment very unsure what to do with my two, weve been back to the woods, I've observed them very closely, and its as if nothing has happened, but according to the original poster, I'm an irresponsible dog owner, as I just don't know what caused them to attack that day.

Best Wishes

Nigel

Rossi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rossi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-October-2007 at 00:11

That seem very odd nigel but,

Originally posted by Nigel Nigel wrote:

we were just having a smoke together, the dogs were doing their own thing, not playing with each other, then my golden lab attacked, and the chocolate one joined in with no worries.

It may be relative to what one was smokin'?  

chocolate dogs, I ask you..

Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-October-2007 at 09:34

A proper pedigree (as mine are) are pure bred and bred by professional breaders for particular useful attributes they have but they still need to be trained to realise those attributes.

What useful attributes does a Staffordshire bull terrier have?

Weren't they bred for fighting originally?

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
daddy cool View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daddy cool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-October-2007 at 09:58

ive been a dog lover/owner for as long as i can remember and none of my dogs have ever attacked anyone or anything if anything they have been on the receiving end of attacks and none of them have been what you would call small or wimpish dogs .  I see a couple of you have mentioned the "DANGEROUS DOG" line , now thats a tag that really annoys me !  my dogs have all been in that band  yet have all been attacked by "loving family" dogs  usually labs,retrievers,collies even jack russels and possibly the funniest time a minature yorkie  yet never bitten back .

it has absolutly nothing to do with the dogs themselves , its the owners that have the sort of dogs your talking about that are the problem . staffordshire pitbull terriers are the usual target for the halfwit asbo muppets that  buy them as a fashion statement  or simply over feed them to make them big and then walk around with them to make themselves look hard . (if swearing was allowed you would see how much this makes my blood boil).

just so you can see the type of dogs i have heres a couple of pics .

my old bullmastiff with my son (sadly i dont see either anymore as my ex has dissapeared with both,possibly the biggest mistake of my life but thats another story alltogther) but that dog ended up being nearly 14 stone and stood nearly 6 feet tall , he had the potential to kill a whole housing estate but  would never hurt anything bigger than a wasp .

my old staffie aswell ,  gutted that he passed away in may of this year . he was the size of your average lab but again never bit anyone or anything .

they used to play fight with each other and it looked rough but they never actually bit or did any kind of damage , it used to look quite rough but NEVER went any further than play.

we now have a 6 month old staffie pup again , he's hard work and is very strong will'd (sp) but again hes very loving and and gentle when  he needs to be .

so what exactly is dangerous about these beautiful animals ?  they may have the ability to do major damage but so does a poodle so whats the difference ?  ITS THE OWNERS . 

dog licencing is a bloody good idea imho , it might stop these asbo wannabe's from getting hold of loving family pets and turning them into hated creatures .

and finally for the record , staffies werent originally bred for fighting . they were bred as nurserie dogs to protect babies and children.

im guessing some of you will never change your opinion on these types of dogs but if my experiences can give you a very small amount of positive feeling towards them then i guess my job is done .

Edited by thepits
e30 2.7 cab
e30 325i
e30 325 sport
e30 318 touring
e28 m5
e28 m535
e34 m5
e39 540
e36 318ti (green)
e36 318ti (mauve)
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-October-2007 at 17:40

We have a lot of staffies being walked in the woods.

In equal proportions, some are great, some are awful, in almost all circumstances when they are awful they are being walked by chav types with their caps on backwards, the owners are covered in spots and struggle to speak English without using the "F" word. When they are nice they are normaly walked by people with young familys, so I have to go with the comments above.

My own lovable breed, the labrador, are always in the top ten for biting people and other animals, but I've yet to come across anyone frightened of a lab, mores the pity !

Edited by Nigel
Best Wishes

Nigel

thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-October-2007 at 19:23

Originally posted by Rossi Rossi wrote:

Yes Mike, I'm sure thepits would love to meet them.. 

Yep I love hot-dogs -

but best left in the car I say (preferably in the boot)

Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
BeemaBoy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Starting a Collection

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeemaBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-October-2007 at 07:26

Hmmm...difficult dogs...

I use to walk home from school in my last few years, as my lift fell through on many occasion... I remeber one day that I was walking up the road just a few blocks from my house... In the middle of the road, with no visible human support, was a huge black Rottweiler! So, naturally I gave it a wide birth and did not look at it... Just as I was passed it, it suddenly decided for some reason that I was a threat and took off at me. I, instintively, ran as fast as I could(know now that that was the wrong thing to do) away from a huge dog that was snarling and snapping at me. He did catch me and proceded to bite though my bag...lucky for me!!!

Now, I consider that to be totally unprovoked! I was not on the dogs territory or was I behaving in a threatning manner!

Yet another story...my moms new dog, that she adopted from the SPCA, seems to have a serious problem with me. The dog is seriously aggresive one moment and then he is your best friend the next. When I get home, he will run up to my car and start wildly barking at it. When I get out he gets even more aggresive. I usually get fed up and end up telling him to shut up, which makes him even more angry. After I walk inside the house, and he comes to the sliding garden door, he is fine! Will lick my hand and leave his head at the door to be loved!!! Explain that! He has been with is now for about 2 years and he still sees me as a threat. I have noticed that he also tries to stare me down on a regular basis...getting very angry and aggresive when I ignore him!

I do agree that all of the above are owner problems, but not even sure how to sort out my problem with my moms dog. Guess this is the sort of risk you get by adopting a dog...

I must admit, I am not a dog person... I rather chose a cat as my companion! No risk there ...

BB

87 E30 320I
95 E34 525I Auto, Executive Package, Arctic Silver
98 E38 740I Steptronic, Silver
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic