I have a G reg 318i Coupe.
Is that a 318is or just a 318?
How can you tell the difference?
Sponsored Links

Caesar Bob View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-November-2003 at 18:36

Chris D: unless you have 16v you've got a 318i not the iS. Other clues should be the sports front seats, M-TechI steering wheel & gear knob, no chrome (Shadowline) trim around the windows (front, rear or sides).

The E36 M42 engine altho basically the same as the E30 M42 does have the additional cat and knock sensors i believe but for the most part it'll probably be much the same. So if you have an E36 manual you should be ok. The Chilton is the only one that specifically covers the E30 318iS tho.

E30 318iS
Ist seitlich das neue nachschickt!
Matt318is View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-November-2003 at 20:28

Hi,

I just got my H reg 318is M-Technic limited edition. I have been informed by a friend who works for BMW that this car was 1 of about 300 or so made with the M-Technic package. Does anyone know about this?

I only paid £1200 for it from a member of the famially, its silver with pretty good body (few little scratches doors/bumpers) its got 150k on clock but runs well and i know it was never really pushed.

I would like to do a few things to the engine to unleash some power and would like advise if anyone can give it.

When looking at exhausts i have found that both Supersprint and Sebring both produce a similarly priced back box and centre pipe and wondered if anyone has had experience with either companies product.

I also found that Pipercross make a induction kit specific for this model but K&N make on for the E36 1.8is (140bhp) as they are both the M42B18 engine will this fit or have the air pipe bore sizes changed?

If anyone can help it would be much apprieciated,

Matt

Mark R View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
Wimborne, Dorset

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-November-2003 at 23:22
Originally posted by beema318is beema318is wrote:

Hello.. just purchased a H plate 318is.. clean bodywork, 115k on clock with all original usual refinements for £1000... Is that a fair deal? Os did i pay over the odds?

And which 318is is quicker/better? The E30 or E36?

Quick summary, £1000 assuming the car is in good nick is a good price, I assume the seller didn't know the difference between a 318i & a 318is... most start £1200++ see a few for £2200++, i also know of a couple priced at £3400...

The E30 in my mind is more suited to the M42/M44 engines, the E36 is a little too heavy.

I enjoy my 318is, apart from having spent the last two days replacing the suspension void bushes/shock mounts/freeing up the head light adjusters/replacing the rear brakes & fixing the PAS leak. If the MOT tester says it needs anything else doing i'll probably kill him

Plus i got a punture today... not to mention the idiot who reversed into the car a couple of days ago!

I still love my E30 318is, it's in very good condition and has been 100% reliable, also returns 37mpg on average.
Mark Roberts
E30 318iS

Wessex Region Secretary
E30 Registrar & committee member

Someone left a note on my windscreen. It read 'Parking Fine' that was nice
beema318is View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I
E30 318iS

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-November-2003 at 07:50

Yeah car is ok... body work very clean, just had the car for serviced in garage yesterday, was told engine has a oil leak!!! dont know where though, looks like the headgasket has already been changed, so i'm hoping it's not anything worse... will be gettin the engine steam cleaned and checked up again next week...

I just hope this isn't the start of my problems... but the mechanic did say, for the milage this engine sounds sweet...

BTW there is a E30 318is advertised in the autotrader.co.uk with FSH, lady owner, leather sport seats, e/w, PAS, sunroof with 93K on clock for £1995.  I was originally gonna get that, but the price then was £2595, i was prepared to pay about 2100, but the stupid seller was never available when ringing her, and now i see the same motor advertised 500 squid less... but i think that car looks in a very good nick.....

Senior Member I
Senior Member I
E30 318iS

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-November-2003 at 07:51
And to all E30 318is owners.. whats your milages guys... mine at 116000 should still give me plenty of good miles shouldn't it? but that oil leak is worrying me...
Senior Member I
Senior Member I
E30 318iS

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-November-2003 at 08:07
O yeah when i was buying the car, i just pretended i didnt know much about 318is... got it of some guy who deals in luxury/exec cars, he just had this in as a part exchange.. just wanted a quick sale..
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-November-2003 at 09:42

I bought my iS privately 18months ago with 62,700miles on it and this morning i just passed 87,900miles.

The oil leak could be the rocker cover gasket or the camshaft sensor on the front of the engine. The camshaft sensor has a rubber o-ring which can perish, mine was weeping quite alot but it's a piece of pi$$ to change. One allen bolt if i remember right.

Had the head gasket go on me last xmas, that'll be a £1,000 please sir!! and had the timing chain and pulleys, etc changed shortly after. Sure was a cheap new year. 

Oh yeah, and it's the profile gasket that can be a bit awkward on the M42/M44 engine coz you can really see it.

Edited by Caesar Bob
E30 318iS
Senior Member I
Senior Member I
E30 318iS

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-November-2003 at 10:41

What??? £1000 for headgasket change? i presume thats not something that can be done with an haynes manual?

still though CeaserB, you seem to have a nice motor, low milage and stuff... 

Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-November-2003 at 12:34

Head gasket is fairly major job involving half the engine being dismantled, head was also skimmed + i went to BMW for the work. I'm sure i could have got it done cheaper but i decided to have it done by them.

The timing chain was another £500! @ BMW.

To me these jobs are only DIY if you are a very competant mechanic (not me) and you have the time to do it (not me again).

E30 318iS
Senior Member I
Senior Member I
E30 318iS

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-November-2003 at 12:41
£500 for a timing chain change..?? takin the piss aint they...   best thing todo is have the chain reaDY.. call the AA.. they would do it for free...
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-November-2003 at 12:43

You are joking?? Right!!

There is an awful lot more to be changed than the chain alone and i really can't see an AA man doing it at the side of the road.

E30 318iS
Dave Nemesis View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-November-2003 at 12:46

Originally posted by beema318is beema318is wrote:

And to all E30 318is owners.. whats your milages guys... mine at 116000 should still give me plenty of good miles shouldn't it? but that oil leak is worrying me...

I bought a red 318is with full spec extras for £1900. It has just gone over 74K miles.

Can anyone beat that for mileage/price.

Dave

Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-November-2003 at 12:51

What do you class as "full spec extras"? I have only seen a couple for sale that ever had close to a full collection of options.

Stupid thing was if bought new an iS with all the options cost within a few £100 of a base spec M3.  

E30 318iS
Senior Member I
Senior Member I
E30 318iS

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-November-2003 at 12:53

hmmm maybe im wrong about the AA man doing a chain... but in previous cars with Timing Belts, ive called AA several times... once the AA man was there for 2 hours until he had the timing belt in place... and he done it outside my house...

but seriously though... changing the timing chain shouldnt be 500 quid though.. thats taking the piss... im never going to bmw..

TO DAVE NEMESIS :

You got a good deal mate... that engine must still be in mint condition...

Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-November-2003 at 13:03
Because its a chain as opposed to a belt, it's not expected to need changing on a regular basis & therefore isn't given such easy access. Plus you can't slide a chain onto toothed gear wheels like you can a belt onto a pulley. You have to remove a link, install the chain and then rejoin it. Bit like a bike chain only a double thickness one (duplex).
E30 318iS
Senior Member I
Senior Member I
E30 318iS

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-November-2003 at 13:37
and what the full extras spec for 318is ? i have all electrics... the only thing missing is leather interior... instead just standard sport seats ? are those seats by recaro ? or standard Bmw?
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-November-2003 at 14:05

- Baur Cabriolet Conversion (£4,475)
- Metallic Paint (£375)
- Exhaust Catalysor (£350)
- Leather Upholstery (£901)
- Anti-lock Braking System (£690)
- Spoiler Equipment - Front only (£160)
- Limited-slip Differential (£396)
- Alloy Wheels - 7J x 15 Cross Spoke Style (£1,074)
- Electric Sliding Sunroof (£745)
- Air Conditioning (£1,341)
- Front Seat Heating (£243)
- Rear-seat Head Restraints (£112)
- On-board Computer (£363)
- Anti-theft System (£397)
- Halogen Front Fog Lights (£149)
- Headlight Cleaning System (£310)
- Heated Mirrors, Driver’s Door Lock & Windscreen Washer Nozzles (£89)
- Map Reading Lights (£62)
- Rear Window Blind - Manual (£104)

These are the obvious options, there are also the special order ones like M-TechII bodykit and Aplina stuff which adds extra £££ to the price. I'd class a car with most of these as a well specced E30.

The Sports Seats as fitted to most E30s with the extendable thigh support were originally designed by Recaro but were not branded as such,  because of the volume required Recaro couldn't fullfill the obligation so BMW made them themselves under licence.

Edited by Caesar Bob
E30 318iS
Dave Nemesis View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-November-2003 at 14:05

to beema318is:

the engine is spot on. If I had the time or skills, id clean it up and put the car in to shows. The bodywork is pretty much mint :)

Caesar BoB:

As for full extras: it would appear as though I don't have the full extras kit fitted as I previously stated. I only have striped MTEC recaros instead of the leatherand the standard IS body kit instead of M3

I must say my favourite extra is the headlamp wiper system - v funky!!

Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-November-2003 at 14:08
The sports seats were standard and you couldn't get the M3 bodykit as this required almost every panel to be changed. The full bodykit would make the car look much like a 325iSport.
E30 318iS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic