Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW ///M Power
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedLPG conversion on an E39 M5?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hopalong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LPG conversion on an E39 M5?
    Posted: 08-November-2007 at 13:22
I am considering converting a 5.0l V8 BMW E39 M5 to run on LPG, as I am concerned about the running costs at 20mpg ish.

Are there any negatives to an LPG conversion on a high performance engine such as this?

Any reccomendations for installers?

Any 'Dos and Donts'?

Thanks

Sponsored Links

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-November-2007 at 13:27

Welcome aboard

The subject has come up on here a few times but I'm not convinced by LPG.  Nowhere near me sells it and it costs just over half as much as unleaded and you get just over twice the fuel consumption so I don't think it adds up.  If it did, more folk would convert to LPG and more manufacturers would install LPG tanks as standard.

Andrew

....but you don't buy an M5 and then worry about fuel consumption.

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
bmw1066 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
GOOD OLD E23

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmw1066 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-November-2007 at 14:06

It dependes on how many miles you do. LPG is great IMO it better for the engine I'v seen a 140k factery fit engine and it looked like new under the rocker cover and the oil was still clear arfter 6k. MPG will stay the same and you will be get the equ off 40 MPG on gas.

But you would need to uses the car to get your mony back but for me it's well work the out lay

Mark 735 se 1982
RED BARON A E23 is for life not just for x-mas
BMW e34 530 v8 Sport kit
Spelling always Bad
hopalong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hopalong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-November-2007 at 14:41
Thanks for these comments. I have read on some sites that there may be an issue with reliability?

I don't mind a bit of a drop in performance, as I can always switch back to petrol when I'm having my fun ...!
Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-November-2007 at 15:28

Personally in a M5 I wouldn't..... how much fun do you think you could still have with the weight of the gas tank in the boot....

..... mounted quite high up as well..it will not help the handling.

I'd probably buy an more economical runaround for a couple of grand, don't know what a coversion cost but I'm probably not far out, and keep the M as BMW intended.

JMHO of course.... it's your car so your choice.

Sport Evolution Schwarz #043
bmw1066 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
GOOD OLD E23

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmw1066 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-November-2007 at 16:48
Depend were you fit it, Can go in the spare wheel well.
Mark 735 se 1982
BMW e34 530 v8 Sport kit
Spelling always Bad
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-November-2007 at 21:33

Originally posted by hopalong hopalong wrote:

Any 'Dos and Donts'?

Dont!

Originally posted by Andrew Rolland Andrew Rolland wrote:

you don't buy an M5 and then worry about fuel consumption.

Exactly

(p.s. welcome to the forum by the way  )

Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
hopalong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hopalong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-November-2007 at 14:26
Thanks for all the reply's so far...

I understand the comments that I 'shouldn't' worry about fuel consumption on an M5.  But - what if I 'must' find a way to reduce fuel costs in order to turn the dream into a reality due to not having seriously deep pockets?

I accept that it wont be a cheap car to run, but need to ensure that it is at least workable.

Does anyone have any views on the likely performance drop (or not?)?

Also, will I do any damage / will it run OK with a modern multi point LPG system.

Obviously no point in me asking the LPG companies at this stage as they naturally enough will be biased in their opinions!

Further comments / help please!

Thanks.
jpboost View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpboost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-November-2007 at 16:09

I reckon you'd seriously devalue the car.

if/when you come to sell it on, having 'money saving' LPG fitted to a car like an M5, is not likely to be a good thing in the eyes of potential buyers.

hopalong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hopalong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-November-2007 at 17:30
JPboost - Thanks for your comment, but I would be very interested to know why, in your opinion the fitting of LPG will devalue the car? What is so negative about the conversion that will affect resale value in a negative way?
Lancastrian View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lancastrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-November-2007 at 17:51

JPboost - Thanks for your comment, but I would be very interested to know why, in your opinion the fitting of LPG will devalue the car? What is so negative about the conversion that will affect resale value in a negative way?

'cos very very few people will want to buy a performance car that has been compromised just to improve fuel consumption and reduce running costs. - Just my opinion but I reckon you will significantly reduce your already limited number of potential purchasers. If there is not the market then the price will suffer.

With respect - if you can't afford (to run) it buy something else (like most of the rest of us).

Doubt you are going to get many views saying what a brilliant idea.

However, as sporty said, it is your car so do what you like.

E30 M3 Project - Specification TBC
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-November-2007 at 18:25

Interesting to see that my point was not shot down in flames...makes a change!

An E39 M5 has 400 bhp and gets what 20mpg at a push IMO.  An 02 02 plate M5 will cost £18-20k

My E60 545i has 333 bhp and gets on average 25-26 mpg and it cost me £16k from a BMW dealer with all the BMW dealer back up and still with 1 years servicing . 0-60 in 5.9 seconds, 155mph limited speed, it's quick enough!

Will you notice the 67bhp difference between the two cars?  Ok the M5 will have better handling than my SE E60.

The M5 will mean you attract far more attention on the road that a seriously quick E60, you might be better off in a slightly more subtle car that has just about the same amount of poke but without the drawbacks of a 'flashy' M5 but the E60 545i will be far cheaper to run than an M5 without too much 'loss' in performance.

just my opinion....

Andrew

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-November-2007 at 18:32
Originally posted by Andrew Rolland Andrew Rolland wrote:

Interesting to see that my point was not shot down in flames...makes a change!

An E39 M5 has 400 bhp and gets what 20mpg at a push IMO.  An 02 02 plate M5 will cost £18-20k

My E60 545i has 333 bhp and gets on average 25-26 mpg and it cost me £16k from a BMW dealer with all the BMW dealer back up and still with 1 years servicing . 0-60 in 5.9 seconds, 155mph limited speed, it's quick enough!

Will you notice the 67bhp difference between the two cars?  Ok the M5 will have better handling than my SE E60.

The M5 will mean you attract far more attention on the road that a seriously quick E60, you might be better off in a slightly more subtle car that has just about the same amount of poke but without the drawbacks of a 'flashy' M5 but the E60 545i will be far cheaper to run than an M5 without too much 'loss' in performance.

just my opinion....

Andrew

One could go one step further on that line of thinking and buy 530d or 535d, real world performance on one of these is probably on a par, if not better than,  a 545i and probably still see 30mpg's or there abouts. Initial outlay maybe a little higher but looking around at diesel car values resale will reflect this. 

Sport Evolution Schwarz #043
Dannyboy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dannyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-November-2007 at 20:56
Isn't LPG lower octane than petrol! and apparently it will trash your engine
in the long run.
1992 clio 1.8 16V Good
1998 Subaru Impreza Turbo Terzo Great
1987 M3 Diamond Black Awesome (Now awesomer with Billys & Eibach)
Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-November-2007 at 21:52
Originally posted by Dannyboy Dannyboy wrote:

Isn't LPG lower octane than petrol! and apparently it will trash your engine
in the long run.

Originally posted by http://www.v8dualfuel.com/ http://www.v8dualfuel.com/ wrote:

The octane rating for LPG is very high compared to other fuel (LPG ± 110 octane. Regular-grade petrol ± 92 octane and premium-grade petrol ± 95 octane).

V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
Dannyboy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dannyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-November-2007 at 22:00
I am sure I have read that an engine produces less power when runing on
LPG, presumably this is because current petrol engines cannot be modified
to utilise the extra power available from the extra octane?
1992 clio 1.8 16V Good
215m3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 215m3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-November-2007 at 23:01
Originally posted by Dannyboy Dannyboy wrote:

Isn't LPG lower octane than petrol! and apparently it will trash your engine in the long run.

Danny you're talking rubbish. LPG has a RON of 108ish and better for the engine.

LPG cars run smoother and the engines prefer it to petrol.

I have just converted my GTB to lpg and have placed the tank in the wheel well.

Performance is 10% less than on fuel.

V Power is 103p to 106p and LPG is 43p to 52p, so 2.5 times less. LPG gets about 2-3 mpg less than petrol.

All those who have replied have not driven or owned a car with LPG, so guess what they are all negative.

I have seen an E34 M5 with a conversion, so the V8 should not be an issue. Make your own mind up, but go with a wheel well tank. You will need the Fastlobe and system that goes on the bentleys.

Edited by thepits
Toby
New Genuine BMW & Mini OEM parts - www.bmminiparts.com

1987 E30 M3 with turbo being added
bmw1066 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
GOOD OLD E23

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmw1066 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-November-2007 at 00:26

Thanks for all the reply's so far...

I understand the comments that I 'shouldn't' worry about fuel consumption on an M5.  But - what if I 'must' find a way to reduce fuel costs in order to turn the dream into a reality due to not having seriously deep pockets?

I accept that it wont be a cheap car to run, but need to ensure that it is at least workable.

Does anyone have any views on the likely performance drop (or not?)?

Also, will I do any damage / will it run OK with a modern multi point LPG system.

Obviously no point in me asking the LPG companies at this stage as they naturally enough will be biased in their opinions!

Further comments / help please!

Thanks.

1. If it mnt you haveing YOUR DREAM of owning a M5 Then you do it I know I wood.

2. It will make cluck all diffrence ti the resail off the car if anthing.

3. AS said LPG is great for the engine the Oil stays cleaner for longer, and the engine wear is a lot lot less.

4. On A modon LPG system You will lose nothing much on LPG you will get near the same MPG.

5. If fitted well the M5 along with all other BMW v8 run great on LPG.

IMHO It's very snobish to say no just because it's a M5 and all that. As I have said if it ment owning my dream car over not having my dream car for somthing stupid like have a LPG convershion I would go for a LPG system and have my Drewm car and rolocks to the lot off you Plese JMHO

Edited by bmw1066
Mark 735 se 1982
BMW e34 530 v8 Sport kit
Spelling always Bad
Dannyboy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dannyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-November-2007 at 05:17
I am happy to admit when I'm wrong and bow to greater experience.

Can you explain why cars that run on LPG produce less power even though it
has a higher octane rating? What I am wondering is that you get a
performance increase by remapping your car to run on higher octane fuel so
why is it not the same with LPG. This is a genuine question born out of
curiosity so don't take offence or think that I am having a dig.
1992 clio 1.8 16V Good
bmw1066 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
GOOD OLD E23

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmw1066 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-November-2007 at 12:18

I'm not 100% but it's partley due to the position off the injecters and were thay are. There placed as near as poss the the industion side off the manafold. best place is were the petrol injectors are most modon cars been direct injection now to give fare greater berning.

LPG has come along way from were it was sucked like a old carb just arfter the MAF it did and could calse a lot off probloms and the power was down but the new age of cars and LPG is so much better you will probloy lose 2% too 5% power mabe a little more in some car's.

The LPG system is put in and the car's Injecter loom is run through the LPG's ecu 1. to stop any fault lights coming up when the injecters are switched off. 2. So the LPG can utalise the injecter timing. it may and can be ajusted bye computer for the ignition time but its very good. LPG is also spliced in to the lamber sensors so it can stop any fault lights. We had a t5 volvo runing on a very simaler system and he was over harthin his fuel costs he did a lot of miles and got him £ back in 9 munths, theres a little more to it then that but I'm not very good at explaining things

But I must stress onley get it fitted at a well know and improved place. I have seen some very poor fitting, wiering must all be solded and heat shrunk and well taped up. I would always have a good look at car's thay have converted and the qualtey off the work that has been dun to your car.

Mark 735 se 1982
BMW e34 530 v8 Sport kit
Spelling always Bad
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic