Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW ///M Power
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedLPG conversion on an E39 M5?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 215m3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-November-2007 at 22:25
Originally posted by thepits thepits wrote:

Originally posted by hopalong hopalong wrote:

About £2500 for the conversion...

for which you could get a nice (diesel) daily run-about, lay-up the M5 and only bring it out in the summer.

The best of both worlds

£1800 for a conversion, about 15k miles before it's paid for itself and then it's like filling up in the states.

Also 2 cars, 2 lots of tax and insurance and mot's!
Toby
New Genuine BMW & Mini OEM parts - www.bmminiparts.com

1987 E30 M3 with turbo being added
Sponsored Links

french View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote french Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-November-2007 at 17:20

an M5 is an OK car  on e bay right now is an Aston Martin with LPG did'nt bother the owner there .

I have had  a maserati converetd   & it went very well indeed .

I have also had a Twin turbo special Chasseur Jaguar converted & a guy came from Zurich just to buy it,did'nt put him off.

I then Had a nice 540 Manual converted & to be honest that went far better on Lpg it was so smooth , the BMW V8's go very well on LPG.

I now have a M3 .......NO I am not having that converted ,why because I beleive that the time of LPG savings has passed.

nothing to with it being an "M" car oh whoopee doo, no not at all.....

From this year on there will be an increase of 1 p per litre over & above that of petrol. Also, & this is the main reason,there is a dirty little secret of LPG that NONE of the LPG installers want you to know.

Dirty gas...after a while there is a build up of Gummy residue that gums the LPG injectors ,these are hard to clean the car runs like a pig & you lose your savings as you are on petrol & a trip back to the installer who tries to clean at cost £30 usually. ALL the injectors are affected on ALL of the kits , the gas sent here from Europe is of inferior quality & is more propane than over there ,ALL the LPG kits are designed for the europe LPG gas , there is one Kit called PIRO that has been designed specifically for UK  but thats got its problems too including the sticking injectors.

This has only recently been the case, 3 years ago everything was Rosy but Now LPG is well...The Pitts .excuse the pun old Bean.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic