Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > General Motors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedE38 740I Cutting out Issue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Starting a Collection

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeemaBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: E38 740I Cutting out Issue
    Posted: 13-November-2007 at 14:18

Hi Guys

Got another problem that occurs on my newly aquired 740I. When I start the engine from cold, there are no problems and the car starts and idles at about 1000RPM until warm...when it then settles at about 550RPM.

The problem occurs when the engine is warm. When I start the car, the engine revs to about 1200RPM and then immediately dies. No spluttering or missing, it just turns off!

I can try starting it again, and I get the same thing! The engine does not battle to start and catches immediately for about a second

The only way to get the engine to stay running is to rev it to about 2000RPM right after starting it. The idle then settles down to about 500RPM and the engine is fine...

Any ideas...all thought welcome ...

Thanks

BB

87 E30 320I
95 E34 525I Auto, Executive Package, Arctic Silver
98 E38 740I Steptronic, Silver
Sponsored Links

bmw1066 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
GOOD OLD E23

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmw1066 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2007 at 14:58
Sound like it could be a MAF on the way out? You need to get a diognostic scan cared out to be shoure so the sensors can be monated.
Mark 735 se 1982
RED BARON A E23 is for life not just for x-mas
BMW e34 530 v8 Sport kit
Spelling always Bad
BeemaBoy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Starting a Collection

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeemaBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-November-2007 at 06:46

Hey bmw1066

Are these classic signs of a failing MAF?

Got an update...

After letting the car stand for a day, I tried to start it last night to take it to my friends house. My original diagnosis that revving the engine will get the car to start has proved to be incorrect!

WHen the engine was cold, I tried to start it and it died immediately! I tried it again and revved it to 2000RPM...then it died again. Tried again, same thing...

Let it sit for about 30 seconds and tried it again, and is started and idled fine...

Now, when I tried to demonstrate this to my friend, the car would not do it. Started the car about 3 times and there was no problem. Left it to stand about 15 minutes and then tried again. Started and then died...Tried this 3 times again, while revving tryng to get the engine to stay started...on the 4th time, it started and went to idle with no problem!

The car also has a very lumpy idle, which shakes the entire car. I sat with the car idling at my friends house for about 5 minutes, feeling the car shake and splutter (which also makes the interior lights flicker)...when it suddenly revved itself up about 100RPM and started to idle perfectly!!! It did not return to the lumpy idle after that! Would this be the computer trying to componsate for the bad MAF maybe?

Is it possible to clean the MAF? I read a link on the net about doing this to the M5 MAFS?

Also meant to say that after starting the car on the 4th attempt, there was a NASTY smell of unburnt fuel pouring out the exhaust!!!

I assume as this car has 2 cats, that is not a good thing!

Many Thanks

BB

Edited by BeemaBoy
87 E30 320I
Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-November-2007 at 09:56
Cold start sensor?.... get it plugged into some diagnostic equipment, probably be cheaper in the long run.

Sport Evolution Schwarz #043
greylag View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greylag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-November-2007 at 17:21

Definitely a sensor problem BB. Other similar symptoms from fuel pump, MAF, oil down plugholes, etc. Check the 7seriesregister for additional help.

JP

GREYLAG

E32 740i E32 750i

BeemaBoy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Starting a Collection

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeemaBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-November-2007 at 08:50

Thanks Guys

Going to try and get it to my local service centre on Saturday morning and see if they can read and print the codes for me for a case of beer ...

So, place your bets...???

Likely culprits...

Camshaft Position Sensor...

MAF Sensor...

Fuel Pump Relay...

Faulty Spark Plugs...

Or the mystery sensor for 1000points

Will report back

Thanks

BB

87 E30 320I
bmw1066 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
GOOD OLD E23

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmw1066 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-November-2007 at 20:48

Well I would place my bet's on crank shaft poshion sensor CPS or the MAF sensor don't think it is plugs or oil down the bores as there is no missfier if there was she would not run right at all. could also be the throttle body but unlikley. Good luck hope she is OK or a simpol fix

You could try cleaning the maf but it's not too good a idear on the modon sensors as there quight delacat.

Mark 735 se 1982
BMW e34 530 v8 Sport kit
Spelling always Bad
BeemaBoy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Starting a Collection

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeemaBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-November-2007 at 09:19

Well guys

Managed to get the car into a friend of mines workshop on Sat morning...

He read the codes and gave me the following printout...

108 - Open Circuit, continuous power supply

204 - EWS 3.3 random-code storage

112 - Signal, camshaft position sensor

10 - Signal, oxygen sensor before cat., bank 1

18 - Oxygen sensor before catalytic converter, bank 2

That is as it came out of the machine...

So I guess the CPS is faulty...bit worried about the other stuff though???

He did reset all the codes for me and then restarted the engine for a few minutes and read the codes again. Everything else was gone, but the CPS immediately came up again...

I assume this means that it is shot and that I need a new one?

Thanks

BB

87 E30 320I
bmw1066 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
GOOD OLD E23

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmw1066 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2007 at 13:47
Well I'd get a CPS ASAP the otheres could be old coads. but as CPS came back is a problom replace it.
Mark 735 se 1982
BMW e34 530 v8 Sport kit
Spelling always Bad
BeemaBoy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Starting a Collection

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeemaBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2007 at 09:03

Thanks bmw1066. I have ordered one and I picked it up yesterday. I will fit it this evening as it only looks like a 15 minute job ...

Would I see the difference staight away with the stalling and running at cold issue or would the car need to run for a few days to adapt to the new sensor?

Thanks

BB

87 E30 320I
bmw1066 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
GOOD OLD E23

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmw1066 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2007 at 23:29

Should see a diffrence for the stalling but I would get a diag nostic dun again to see if any faults have come back on if your still getting probloms runing.

How did it go BTW

Mark 735 se 1982
BMW e34 530 v8 Sport kit
Spelling always Bad
BeemaBoy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Starting a Collection

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeemaBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-December-2007 at 07:22

Well guys, I am happy...no wait...ECSATIC to report that changing the Camshaft Position Sensor has solved the cutting out issue !!!

I have restarted her a number of times and the problem has not come back!

Just to emphasize...the sensor looked brand new and had no signs of going bad. The only problem that I had was the occasional cut out after I started the car...there were no stalling issues or bad running from this...

Many thanks to bmw1066 and Sporty1 for pushing me to get a diagnostic check done. It is simply expensive guess work without having a check!!!

Big Thanks guys...

Has anyone got any suggestions to the other problems I have posted about in the 7 Series Technical Section? Would be a HUGE help

BB

87 E30 320I
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic