Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > General Motors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedLooking at getting a BMW 320 or 323 coupe

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking at getting a BMW 320 or 323 coupe
    Posted: 27-December-2002 at 10:25

Hi there

I'm new to BMW's, i mean i've driven a few, M3 evo's etc etc, and i'm looking to buying a 320i coupe or a 323i coupe (92-94). What do i need to look for when buying these ???

Whats SE stand for on some editions ??

I've seen a few i like, but alot have 100k + miles, but i know BMW engines are pretty strong and if looked after, should last another 50k +, should i be worried about buying one with 100k + ???

Any info would be very helpful

Sponsored Links

JohnnyRob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-December-2002 at 14:05

I'd spend that little bit more and go for a nice 325.  They are a lot quicker (if that's what you want).

Check for the usual; accident dammage, poor repairs (rust - yep you'll find some rusters!) & a good service history.  I wouldn't touch an E36 without fsh unless it was almost free; ie trade stolen / recovered type.  I'd prefer a full BMW history which I'd verify with BMW UK over the phone (they are very helpfull and will do this no probs; you'll need the chassis number & reg), as these cars are sooo easy to clock.

SE stands for Special Edition and was an option on the saloons.  Buy a high spec car with either aircon / sunroof & leather (although the latter can be retrofitted with second hand trim) and a nice mettalic paint.  Avoid white as this is not so popular to move on.  Granite grey looks spot on on the earlier coupes....

100k with a full history is nothing to worry about.  The 6 cylinder lump will go on forever, if properly serviced.  Scrutinize the service history (and mileage intervals) and have a good look for any oil leaks/ smoke & you'll be fine.......

Enjoy!

BMW Adam View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-December-2002 at 17:13

Thanks mate for the info, much appreciated

After i posted this, i checked the insurance, looks like i'm going to go for either a 323 or 325. I'm only looking to spend around 5-6k. I've seen a few i like the look and sound of. I'm definatly going for a FBMWSH.

Still haven't decided on a colour, don't like red and white ones, already got a black car. I do like the grey and Green ones

bm.w View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2002 at 21:32

I have a BMW 320i Coupe auto sports for sale if you are intrested, K reg 1993 with only 78000 on the clock. excellent condition e mail me if you wanna know more.

bm.w@ntlworld.com

JohnnyRob View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2002 at 19:02

Adam; check out the for sale forum on www.e36Coupe.com ; might be worth posting a 'wanted' thread,

and keep an eye on www.findit.co.uk and www.bmwcarshowroom.com 

Where are you based?

Best tip is to get out there and try / see / drive as many examples as possible; they all look good, but they aren't all they seem. 

Saying that, there are a lot of good cars out there, too.  Don't let your heart rule your brain & you'll be OK.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers

John

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic