Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 7 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked740d

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dekra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 740d
    Posted: 26-November-2007 at 14:24
hello to all new member here. any one any info on changing 740d from lhd to rhd . thanks
530d 540i
Sponsored Links

AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-November-2007 at 22:59
Doubt it's worth the hassle.

Finding a RHD dash will be difficult & probably expensive. As for fitting it - it sure isn't going to be as easy as an E30. There's bound to be something you won't be able to get working.

Then you'll have the problem of insuring it. Insurers hate anything out of the ordinary so they'll load your premium.

All told, you have two easy routes:

1. Put up with it being LHD (E30 M3 drivers get by ok as do all Yank Tank enthusiasts
  2. Buy a 740i instead (they're cheap enough) & get an LPG conversion.

AndyS
Live each day as if it's your last - one day it will be.

dekra View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dekra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2007 at 13:00
thanks andys .yea pity our roads are different to mainland europe . it restricts certain models .my main worry was steering or is there enough room to convert .dashboard and insurance is ok .but as u say threh would be a lot of messy work
530d 540i
AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2007 at 18:20

In theory it should be a straightforward swap but there's often problems with steering column clearance etc. There was never a RHD 745 or E24 Alpina S because the turbo sat where the steering column went.

If you have the car in front of you then you can have a look for such things but as I said, the benefits don't really outweigh the hassle.

AndyS

dekra View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dekra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2007 at 19:40
yes i think that is usually the proplem.as far as i know it has two turbos one on each side of engine that would mean lhd or rhd should not make much difference.any thoughts.
530d 540i
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2007 at 22:15

Originally posted by AndyS AndyS wrote:

Doubt it's worth the hassle.

I agree. My (LHD of course ) E30 M3 is a daily drive - no problems.

If you really want/need RHD it's probably cheaper to sell the LHD and buy one.

Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
dekra View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dekra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2007 at 22:49
forgot to mention i have not bought 740d yet .road tax is a killer here in ireland for car like that 1360euros.twice the price of insurance.still would be a unique car nice to have something different cheers andys.
530d 540i
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2007 at 22:55

Originally posted by dekra dekra wrote:

forgot to mention i have not bought 740d yet .road tax is a killer here in ireland for car like that 1360euros.twice the price of insurance.still would be a unique car nice to have something different cheers andys.

Buy it and leave it LHD...

...or...

...If LHD is a problem - don't buy it

Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-November-2007 at 13:29
Or move to somewhere cheaper or somewhere that drives on the right
AndyS

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic