Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > General E30
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMy New Toy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Bavarian-Board Contributor
UK Sport Evolution.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHEPSM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My New Toy
    Posted: 15-December-2007 at 22:03

Been looking for a low mileage 318is for a while and this 84,000 mile one came up a couple of weeks ago. After alot of thought and a view this morning I handed over some cash

She needs a little work to get her upto my standard, as there is a scratch on the o/s/f wing and lower front spoiler, also a small patch of surface rust on the bottom of the n/s door about an inch in diameter. The o/s door mirror also needs painting in the body colour. The o/s/f wing has been painted before, but could do with a repaint and re-align. Also the front bumper cover looks like its about to come off in the pics, but when I viewed this had already been fixed and lines up perfectly.

Interior can only be described as new and it drives extremely well. Under the bonnet is like new too. Drive train is ultra quiet and the gearbox slick and smooth with no slackiness. Its even got the sticker on the rear spoiler still.

I am pretty chuffed with this car, finding one in this sort of condition these days is getting harder and harder as I have found out.

Not very good pics as was a camera phone, paint also looks a little pink, but is completely bright red. She is also crying out for some alloys too. Also the drivers door is slightly ajar in the pics making the front wing look totally misaligned.

What ya'll think?

Edited by SHEPSM3
[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1a1.jpg">[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1b1.jpg">
Sponsored Links

Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2007 at 22:24

Very nice, makes me want another E30...

Looks like the same colour as my first one, is it Zinobar?

(did a bit of photoshopping to adjust the colour a bit)

Edited by Rhys
V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
Joey View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2007 at 22:25

looks like a nice startin point for a project

think you'll get the v10 from the new m5 in there with a bit of effort hahahahahaha

its not what you drive its what drives you
(INITIAL D)
E36 M3 Cabrio Cosmos Black
SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
UK Sport Evolution.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHEPSM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2007 at 23:25

Originally posted by Rhys Rhys wrote:

Very nice, makes me want another E30...

Looks like the same colour as my first one, is it Zinobar?

(did a bit of photoshopping to adjust the colour a bit)

Thanks mate, thats better. Its not Zinobar, its Brilliant Rot! lol

Anyway, Yes I think a V10 should fit, I know of a V12 in one already!

[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1a1.jpg">[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1b1.jpg">
Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-December-2007 at 16:44
Nice... set of 7 x 15's and your away.

Sport Evolution Schwarz #043
stephenperry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenperry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-December-2007 at 16:55
cool, i thought the e30 is had cross spoke alloys like garys?

2007 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCI Titanium X Auto

1983 Ford Sierra XR4i
    2000 Alpina B10 3.3 #118
    1999 BMW 323Ci
    1995 BMW 318i SE
    1994 Vauxhall Omega 2.0 GLS
    1995 Ford Mondeo 1.8 LX
    1990 Honda Concerto 1.6 EX
    1986 Ford Orion 1.6 GL
    1989 Ford Fiesta 1.1 Firefly
Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-December-2007 at 16:57

Originally posted by stephenperry stephenperry wrote:

cool, i thought the e30 is had cross spoke alloys like garys?

What you see there is standard fare IIRC, 6x14's and the 7x15's were optional extras.

stephenperry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenperry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-December-2007 at 17:01
gotcha, my mistake, i've got an original advert for it in a really old car magazine and it had the wheels on there

2007 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCI Titanium X Auto

1983 Ford Sierra XR4i
    2000 Alpina B10 3.3 #118
    1999 BMW 323Ci
    1995 BMW 318i SE
    1994 Vauxhall Omega 2.0 GLS
    1995 Ford Mondeo 1.8 LX
    1990 Honda Concerto 1.6 EX
    1986 Ford Orion 1.6 GL
    1989 Ford Fiesta 1.1 Firefly
fozzymandeus View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fozzymandeus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-December-2007 at 18:02
Originally posted by SHEPSM3 SHEPSM3 wrote:

Anyway, Yes I think a V10 should fit, I know of a V12 in one already!

Crikey...

I'm planning on getting a professional engine conversion on an E30 to put in the engine from the 318is...

...if you want an engine transplant car then you should take a look at my old wreck:

A 316i that I'm spending quite a lot of money upgrading to be a 318is!!
Beating around the bush.
SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
UK Sport Evolution.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHEPSM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-December-2007 at 22:40

Originally posted by Sporty1 Sporty1 wrote:

Nice... set of 7 x 15's and your away.

Yes, thats what I thought, but I also have some 16" Alpinas to go on too, but then it would need a slight rethink on ride height then, and when you do that the shocks would need looking at.. where do you stop?

You are right 15"s it is.

Edited by SHEPSM3
SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
UK Sport Evolution.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHEPSM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-December-2007 at 00:19

Right, picked the car up tonight and it drives very well, except when under braking while going over undulating sections of road and white lines. Also has an interesting erge to want to go sideways around right hand corners. I suspect the lollypop bushes so I am going to order some M3 ones tomorrow and fit them tomorrow night. Also center section exhaust has the baffles rattling too, so I will fit a brand new system right through. I have a genuine system lying around somewhere which I purchased for another 318is, but never got round to fitting it.

Some other mods will be probably be billies B8's and just a minor lower of around 30-35mm and fit the 15" BBS's I have or the 16" Alpina Reps I have. May leave the suspension alone if the lollypop bushes sort the handling. Maybe a lower ball joint gone, but the car is totally silent over bumps big or small.

I will keep you all posted with what I do to it.

Joey View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-December-2007 at 03:20
the boy u thinkin ahead with the v12 good lad
its not what you drive its what drives you
(INITIAL D)
E36 M3 Cabrio Cosmos Black
Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-December-2007 at 10:19

Some other mods will be probably be billies B8's and just a minor lower of around 30-35mm and fit the 15" BBS's I have or the 16" Alpina Reps I have.

If the car is on original shocks at that age and mileage then they are probably quite tired, in which case billies and lowering and 16's is the order of the day IMO............ this is where it all get a little infectious.

SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
UK Sport Evolution.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHEPSM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-December-2007 at 18:32

Some other mods will be probably be billies B8's and just a minor lower of around 30-35mm and fit the 15" BBS's I have or the 16" Alpina Reps I have.

If the car is on original shocks at that age and mileage then they are probably quite tired, in which case billies and lowering and 16's is the order of the day IMO............ this is where it all get a little infectious.

Its just gotta be done init!

SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
UK Sport Evolution.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHEPSM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-December-2007 at 22:12

Cat 1 alarm and imobiliser fitted, so too is a top of the range Kenwood radio/CD player with all sorts of rubbish and a remote control.... Lord knows what I am gonna do with that? Tweaters fitted on door mirror covers inside.

OBC is almost fully fitted. While we were there we fitted the OBC, loom behind dash and the units which go above the glove box and above the engine ECU. Just need to cut out the hole for the gong, feed the wires through to the engine bay and to the horn and outside temp sensor, fit the OBC indicator stalk...have a new one comming, fit the 318is coding plug into the instrument pack and plug the OBC wire loom into the pack aswell.

Got to replace the headlamp adjuster regulator which I have on order. I also have front and rear mudflaps too, genuine BMW ones, but unsure whether to fit these or not  

Dunno whether to get my 15" BBS's referbed with nagaro silver centers or fit the 16" Alpina replicas?

Fitted a red o/s door mirror now, which kinda transformed the car too lol.

Edited by SHEPSM3
SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
UK Sport Evolution.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHEPSM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-January-2008 at 01:14

Right, just an update after a whole days work on the 318is...

OBC now fully fitted, including correct 318is coding plug, indicator stalk, gong, outside temp sensor and horn. The OBC buttons do not luminate when the lights are switched on. I have a new bulb for this, but didn't have pliers small enough to replace it

New headlamp adjuster (from inside) fully fitted - what a pain in the butt that was!!!

Replaced rear subframe bushes with genuine items and also the front lower arm lollypop bushes with the more solid eccentric M3 ones and reset the front wheel alignment.

Fitted some 15" BBS alloys I bought from a member of another forum which really set the car off nicely.

The osf fog lamp has decided to fog itself up so on the look out for another.

The exhaust has been welded in a few places and the baffles rattle nicely, so its going to be replaced with a full genuine system soon. The front brake disc's are warped and seems to be highlighted now I have done the front bushes, so these will be replaced again with genuine items.

She's comming along nicely and the drive and handling is transformed with the new bushes and wheels.

Will update again once further work's been done

Edited by SHEPSM3
kevin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-January-2008 at 17:58
Paul,

Looking very nice and tidy, good to see it with someone who appreciates it and is spending the time to get it just right.

Cheers

Kevin
'04 E46 330Ci Convertible
'08 E61 535d Touring (TorqueMeister Towbarge)
95 E34 M5
89 E30 M3 (Cecotto)
SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
UK Sport Evolution.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHEPSM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-January-2008 at 18:36

Thanks Kevin, I am acutally very pleased with it now.

Today, I replaced the wiper motor with a brand new motor and was an easier job than I seem to remember. The price of the motor was about double what I remember it too .

I also replaced the front disc's too. The ones which come off were the original items which backs up the low mileage . The brake pads have not long been changed by the previous owner and looked as good as new, so I thought it was pointless replacing these.

With anything, if I don't carry out all the repairs as soon after purchase as possible, it will get left in the corner and in a few years time I will be wondering why the hell I bought it in the first place  So I am keen to get everything done ASAP.

Edited by SHEPSM3
Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-January-2008 at 17:52
That's looking very nice Paul.

SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
UK Sport Evolution.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHEPSM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-January-2008 at 00:40

That's looking very nice Paul.

Thanks buddy

Its going into the bodyshop for some attention to that front wing and a few other touch ups.

1st gear seems a little too nitchy from cold for my liking, It could be just the gear oil needs changing, so I will try this before ripping the gearbox out to change the clutch. I am also looking at a lighter M20 flywheel to fit with a larger clutch - incase of a FI mod  If the gear oil change doesn't sort the nitchy 1st then I will have it overhauled.

I have also got a 3.91:1 LSD to fit too. Although its reported to be in very good condition, I am having it stripped and overhauled aswell. I hate fitting anything second hand only to find it needs things doing. Reason for getting a 3.91:1 and not a 4.1:1 LSD is that these IS's feel like they need another gear on the motorway. I did consider the 3.64:1 LSD, but I think that would make it too lazy on the motorway. Also I think the 3.91:1 ratio is a good compromise between the two and shouldn't upset acceleration much if atall. Should give a little better economy too

When I get round to sorting the transmission, I will fit the new exhaust system. Its pointless doing that before I do the clutch as this would have to come off anyway. I like being economical with labour

Edited by SHEPSM3
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic