Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW ///M Power
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedE30 M3 centre silencer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyclient Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: E30 M3 centre silencer
    Posted: 22-December-2007 at 11:03

I have an E30 M3 and like most on here running a Miltek system have had numerous problems with the centre section grounding on speed humps , cracking the weld an then blowing.

I haven't got the original receipt as it was on the car when i bought it , so i can't get another under warrenty.

My question is has anyone run an M3 without a centre silencer and if so was it to loud for road use or was there any drop in performance ?

I'm thinking of cutting out the centre silencer and replacing it with a lengh of pipe as this would solve the grounding on speed humps and even some multi story car park ramps

cheers

Andy

01 E46 320d Touring
88 E30 M3 Sadly Gone
93 E36 325 TD Gone but still going
87 E30 Hartge 325 (gone but not forgotten)
Sponsored Links

BMG M3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMG M3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-December-2007 at 12:10
That would make it pretty much the same as the Supersprint Race system,which is just a back box,and this is loud.If you fab-up a replacement pipe section, you could always add a small universal stainless box.
Quite what all of that would do to the performance is anyones guess though.
Andy S View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-December-2007 at 11:32
i had a couple of cherry bomb type silencers welded into the middle of my old exhaust and they fitted nice and snug. It made it slightly noisier than standard but nowhere near as loud as the race system.
E30 M3's never die
Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-December-2007 at 15:00
supersprint race systems have been measured at over 100dB, to give you an idea of how loud.

Sport Evolution Schwarz #043
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-December-2007 at 01:20
Originally posted by BMG M3 BMG M3 wrote:

That would make it pretty much the same as the Supersprint Race system,which is just a back box,and this is loud.If you fab-up a replacement pipe section, you could always add a small universal stainless box.

It's not only the missing centre box what makes the Supersprint too loud. the rear "silencer" is tiny and the material is very thin. I am running a Eisenmann back box (no Brian, I am not trying to rub it in...)
and no centre box and it's not loud at all. But the Eisenmann is as big as OEM and probably twice as heavy at the Supersprint.

I would dare to try the Miltek without a centre section. You can always add someting later if it's still too loud. The question is if you are able to fabricate a replacement pipe, why don't you "flatten" the Miltek box a little at the bottom and keep it?
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
andyclient View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyclient Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-December-2007 at 11:49

Originally posted by UweM3 UweM3 wrote:

Originally posted by BMG M3 BMG M3 wrote:

It's not only the missing centre box what makes the Supersprint too loud. the rear "silencer" is tiny and the material is very thin. I am running a Eisenmann back box (no Brian, I am not trying to rub it in...)
and no centre box and it's not loud at all. But the Eisenmann is as big as OEM and probably twice as heavy at the Supersprint.

I would dare to try the Miltek without a centre section. You can always add someting later if it's still too loud. The question is if you are able to fabricate a replacement pipe, why don't you "flatten" the Miltek box a little at the bottom and keep it?

I did find another (blowing) Miltek centre section on ebay that i or rather a friend of mine is going to remove the centre section and replace with a bit of pipe , the problem at the minute is finding a piece of pipe the correct diameter .

He is also going to weld up my original centre section so if it does turn out to be to loud i can refit my repaired original.

Hopefully the newly fabricated exhaust will be ok though as this will solve my grounding issues

Thank you all for your input

cheers

Andy

01 E46 320d Touring
88 E30 M3 Sadly Gone
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2007 at 09:03
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyclient Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2007 at 11:54

Originally posted by UweM3 UweM3 wrote:

Look here

and here

Cheers Uwe

01 E46 320d Touring
88 E30 M3 Sadly Gone
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2007 at 12:00

Originally posted by andyclient andyclient wrote:

I did find another (blowing) Miltek centre section on ebay....

Nobody on here wanted my old, slightly blowing, one - even though I was GIVING it away

Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyclient Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2007 at 13:27
Originally posted by thepits thepits wrote:

I did find another (blowing) Miltek centre section on ebay....

Nobody on here wanted my old, slightly blowing, one - even though I was GIVING it away

I would love it if it is still on offer, as it has got to be better than my battered and blowing original and the one i got off Ebay has already had the silencer cut out of it awaiting a length of pipe

cheers

Andy

01 E46 320d Touring
88 E30 M3 Sadly Gone
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2007 at 13:57

I would love it if it is still on offer, as it has got to be better than my battered and blowing original and the one i got off Ebay has already had the silencer cut out of it awaiting a length of pipe cheers Andy

Sorry Andy, much too late - it went to the scappy ages ago

But don't care.
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyclient Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2007 at 14:07

I would love it if it is still on offer, as it has got to be better than my battered and blowing original and the one i got off Ebay has already had the silencer cut out of it awaiting a length of pipe cheers Andy

Sorry Andy, much too late - it went to the scappy ages ago

Oh well i'll have to stick to plan A then

cheers

Andy

01 E46 320d Touring
88 E30 M3 Sadly Gone
falkster View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote falkster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-January-2008 at 19:15
So there is no chance of replacement without reciept from Miltek? I got mine from Bexleys Im sure they could give me a duplicate reciept as I am in the same boat at the moment.
Z3M Roadster (gone....just...but not forgotten...yet)
E30 M3 (Toy)
Alfa 147 (just gone)
BMW 330d (new work horse)
Daimler Double 6 (no idea yet)
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-January-2008 at 20:39

Originally posted by falkster falkster wrote:

So there is no chance of replacement without reciept from Miltek? I got mine from Bexleys Im sure they could give me a duplicate reciept as I am in the same boat at the moment.

Give Milltek a call - I've always found them to very receptive to E30 M3 owners

But don't care.
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyclient Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-January-2008 at 19:09

Give Milltek a call - I've always found them to very receptive to E30 M3 owners

I did send them an email a few weeks back now , they haven't got back to me yet but with the christmas hols and all that I haven't given up hope yet

01 E46 320d Touring
88 E30 M3 Sadly Gone
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-January-2008 at 21:07

I did send them an email a few weeks back now , they haven't got back to me yet but with the christmas hols and all that I haven't given up hope yet

Phone them - it may be old-fashioned , but I think it is always the best approach, ask for Dave Marshall - he's always helped me out. 

But don't care.
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyclient Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2008 at 13:39

Phone them - it may be old-fashioned , but I think it is always the best approach, ask for Dave Marshall - he's always helped me out. 

Thanks for that i'll give them a ring

cheers

Andy

01 E46 320d Touring
88 E30 M3 Sadly Gone
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyclient Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-January-2008 at 14:26

Well i rang Miltek but I fear the result appears to be the same

I didn't get any further than the receptionist who was very polite, but seemed more concerned with how and where i had got Mr Marshalls name from.

After listening to my problem she informed me that if Mr Marshall felt it necessary to contact me then he may do but I felt from how the conversation went that would be highly un-likely , which at the moment its looking like being the case !

I am not overly suprised as i am not the original purchaser of the exhuast and it has been on the car for three years now , but i must admit i do feel a little disappointed that they have not replied to my email or returned my phone call.

Not to worry i'll just have to stick to the original plan

01 E46 320d Touring
88 E30 M3 Sadly Gone
falkster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote falkster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-January-2008 at 21:53

I tried them aswell the other day and got the same response. I did get a little arsey as proof of purchase is the fact that it does have Milltek on the tail pipe.....they come with a lifetime warranty so they should honour it.

Metcalf Motorsport said they will remove the centre section, repack if needed and weld it back up

Job done

Z3M Roadster (gone....just...but not forgotten...yet)
E30 M3 (Toy)
Alfa 147 (just gone)
BMW 330d (new work horse)
Daimler Double 6 (no idea yet)
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-January-2008 at 22:02

....they come with a lifetime warranty so they should honour it.

The lifetime warranty is only to the original purchaser - unfortunate, but that's the way it is

But don't care.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic