Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedE39 screen washers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 523 iAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: E39 screen washers
    Posted: 23-December-2007 at 16:43

i tell you i could have pulled my hair out (if i had any!)

my screen washer's packed up yesterday even though i could hear the pump working, no water was coming through the jet's? .. i knew the water bottle was full (just filled it on friday) so seen as ive had a problem before with the pump i thought i'd look in to the problem more, today i took off the O/S front wheel, took off the mud flap then removed the plastic inner splash gaurd to get to the bottle and pump i then removed the pump and it's fillter to which all was clean? .. so i then flushed through more water via the filler hole, i then got my wife to pull on the lever to operate the pump and checked it was pumping (which i knew it was .. but double checking) i then put the pump and fillter back on to the bottle, filled the bottle again and tried the washer's ...  nothing!!!! then i noticed something?, water was spraying up between the wing and bonnet shut?, opened the bonnet to find that all it was, was a join in the hose had came apart   .. pushed them back together and "Hey Presto" i have water now spraying on to my windscreen again.

i could have saved myself about an hour and a half of doing all the above if i'd have noticed the joint first not to mention lying about in the damp while i'm loaded with the cold

so if anyone else comes across the same fault "check the join in the hose, just next to the pollen fillter box on the drivers side" .. it might save you some time?  

2003-530i SE
Sponsored Links

stephenperry View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenperry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-December-2007 at 16:57

i've had that too, i thought the washer bottle pipe might have been cracked which is surprisingly awkward to get out apparently, turned out that the pipe had come off the washer nozzle and was soaking the underbonnet felt, an easy fix thank goodness

2007 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCI Titanium X Auto

1983 Ford Sierra XR4i
    2000 Alpina B10 3.3 #118
    1999 BMW 323Ci
    1995 BMW 318i SE
    1994 Vauxhall Omega 2.0 GLS
    1995 Ford Mondeo 1.8 LX
    1990 Honda Concerto 1.6 EX
    1986 Ford Orion 1.6 GL
    1989 Ford Fiesta 1.1 Firefly
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-December-2007 at 07:49

I had bother with my went pipe on my E39.  the vent pipe goes up in the inner wing over the wheel arch, but the outlet of the vent pipe was lower than the filler cap level.  So when you filled the tank to the brim it would slowly drain out about 2 inches or so and I would get wet feet as the screen wash would then run out of the inner wing just behind the temp sensor just in front of the O/S/F wheel.

I went to move the vent pipe but it still dribbled out.  I think the longest job with the E39 washer bottle is removing the eleventymillion plastic nuts and clips that hold the wheel arch liner in place!

So how come you never spotted that then Ian?  You must be loosing it bigman!  Glad you got it sorted.  Easy fixes are a real bonus.

Andrew

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
523 iAN View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 523 iAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-December-2007 at 08:20
Originally posted by Andrew Rolland Andrew Rolland wrote:

So how come you never spotted that then Ian?  You must be loosing it bigman!  Glad you got it sorted.  Easy fixes are a real bonus.

Andrew

think it was more a case of "O-aye thet'll be the fillter clogged up again" and i never thought of looking for any other fault   .. at least it gave me something to do, and get out from doing any house work  

2003-530i SE
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-December-2007 at 10:24

Yeah been there before, had bits all stripped out as they failed last time only to find that it was something else. Usually followed by lots of sweary words.

Or alternatively putting the wrong side of brake pads on the front and having to strip them all back out to do the otherside!! Ahem!!

Have a good one.

Andrew

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
B7TMW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B7TMW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-December-2007 at 11:05
Mine used to freeze and blow the pipes off the jets just under the bonnet. The sound deadening fely would be soaking. I tie wrapped mine in the end with small straps. Poor design I think.
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-December-2007 at 11:11

Originally posted by B7TMW B7TMW wrote:

Mine used to freeze

mine froze completely the other morning, even though I had a 50/50 mix in them  I had to pull over on the M5 hard shoulder to spray the screen clean with de-icer! Which then ran out So I stopped at the service station on the M42 to buy more concentrate for the washers - and a new spray de-icer.

I'll be ok now - the de-icer works down to -48 deg C

Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
523 iAN View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 523 iAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-December-2007 at 11:14

Originally posted by B7TMW B7TMW wrote:

Mine used to freeze and blow the pipes off the jets just under the bonnet. The sound deadening fely would be soaking. I tie wrapped mine in the end with small straps. Poor design I think.

i think this is what happened with the pipe on my car, the more i think about it  i think it might have been a clever design feature? if the jetts are frozen and the pump get's back presure due to the water being pumped through with no escape to spray through it might cause the pump to break? so as the water presure builds in the pipe it forces open the joint?

2003-530i SE
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-December-2007 at 12:22
The plastic pipe running to each nozzle actually split on mine about a year ago. Same diagnosis issues as Ian!
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
Tomski View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-December-2007 at 13:08
I had the same problem Ian.It looks like after some time the hoses like to break.As mine were broken.It was a quick job changing all of them.It cost 5pounds to get second had set from scrap yard.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic