FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedNewbie

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newbie
    Posted: 12-November-2003 at 16:53

Hey all, new to the forum, BMWs and the UK.  2 weeks ago I bought a 1995 520i and have a few questions about it.  The rear suspension is sagging and I would like to replace the springs/shocks/struts (whatever they are called).  I am not sure where to start as far as buying parts, finding a garage to fit them (if I decide against DIY) etc.  I also don't know what would be best to get. 

I imagine genuine BMW would be too costly, but I don't know enough about aftermarket BMW suppliers.  I don't want anything radically different, I am not a spirited driver, and I don't want to lower the car into the weeds, but if the stock ride can be improved upon then I would consider that.  

From my online searches I have seen "Bavarian Auto" springs highly recommended, but shipping from the USA and import duty would probably be quite high.  Are there any locally available suspension components that are the match or exceed the Bav auto?.  I checked Eurocarparts and they list "Ventura" springs for a very reasonable price.  Does anyone know if these are worthwhile?, also what shocks would be recommended.  Euro list many different ones which doesn't help as I have no idea how they perform.

Thanks.

1995 520i SE
Sponsored Links

e34m5 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2003 at 17:25
Hi,

When you say that the rear suspension is sagging what do you mean exactly ? Does it feel as if the shocks have worn out ? Or could it be that someone has already fitted some "sports" springs

Miles

1991 525i Sport Manual

Ascotgrun View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2003 at 19:38

The rear of the car sits lower than the front.  It would look good if the front was equally as low but it isn't.  The car was fitted with a tow bar (which I have since removed) when I bought it so the cause of the saggy bum is most likely due to towing than the fitment of lowering springs.  I have been under the car for a look around and the rear springs/shocks look to be in the same condition as everything else under there.  Basically, nothing to suggest anything had been replaced. 

The shocks do not feel worn as the car does not bounce over bumps etc, but to be honest I have never been in an E34 before buying this one so who knows.  What I may consider acceptable shock absorption might feel quite different to someone more knowledgeable about these cars.

Gregory

1995 520i SE
e34m5 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-November-2003 at 20:49
The rear of the E34 always sits much lower than the front, it must be a design "feature" Even the front of my M5 looks too high compared to the back.

Miles

1991 525i Sport Manual

Sohlman View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Coupe Chairman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2003 at 00:08
If your car has done a lot of towing the rear suspension will be knackered. If you buy some genuine BMW shocks for both the front and the rear you will transform the car. You are probably looking at about £60 per shock and a new set of springs will be about £200. It's probably no more than four hours work for a garage. If you don't want a sport set up that will make the car quite hard, a genuine BMW setup will give the best ride. I would give andy at Motormec a call who can supply you with some part pricing options on 01502 500590
Sunday 10th July Brooklands Sharkfest and Big Coupe Day. Coupe Events
ddccaa View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2003 at 07:34

And another option, if you can find a good mechanic, they can "repair" your suspension(springs cant be ofcourse). Yes,in my country you can repair them, I did so and I am very happy with it. It costs just 80 euro for 4 shocks. When your country is poor, people are starting to be more creative,right?

Ascotgrun View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2003 at 10:28

Thanks for all the suggestions.  Original BMW ride would be ideal but at those prices I will probably lean towards something aftermarket.  I don't necessarily *want* to lower the car, but if lowered sport springs are significantly cheaper than BMW originals then I can live with a lower, stiffer car.

Any recommendations on where to find good aftermarket parts?.  I have visited the Motormec site, but like many other sites (Euro, GSF etc) I can't tell what would be best to get.  Maybe I will try a new post asking for opinions on the various aftermarket brands I have seen advertized.

Gregory

1995 520i SE
e34m5 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2003 at 15:33
I had a set of Boge Lowering springs fitted to my 525 last week and they have improved the look and handling of the car no end They were around £65+vat from GSF.

Miles

1991 525i Sport Manual

west View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2003 at 16:31
e34m5,

Excuse my ignorance but to lower the car is it just the lowering springs that are required? is GSF - German and swedish??

Also, is this something thats easily DIY or a garage job?

Thanks
e34m5 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2003 at 16:35
It really depends on what sort of condition your shocks are in, mine had recently been replaced so it was just a case of swapping the springs over. My local friendly mechanic did the job for me and charged me 3 hours labour.

Yes GSF is German, Swedish and French

Miles

1991 525i Sport Manual

Ascotgrun View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2003 at 18:40
If that price was for a set of 4, I would be very interested in that option.  I would sooner trust the Boge name than the Ventura set  Euro is advertising for similar money.
1995 520i SE
e34m5 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2003 at 19:13
The price for a full set i.e. 4 Boge Lowering Springs is £65.00+vat from GSF. Part number is B99410 for E34 518-525 1988-1995.

Hope that helps

Miles

1991 525i Sport Manual

Ascotgrun View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2003 at 19:26
Yes that does help, thanks.  Do you have any idea how much it lowers the car?, the cars in your sig look a bit lower than I would like.  My car looks that way with 4 adults and a baby seat in it.  I can't imagine what it would look like with that payload after lowering springs.
1995 520i SE
e34m5 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-November-2003 at 19:31
The M5 Suspension is standard i.e. EDC Shocks and standard m5 springs and the ride is rather firm (or sporty) after having the Boge springs fitted to the 525 the ride is a bit firmer but still very comfortable and there is still plenty of suspension travel. What you really need is an M5 as it has self levelling suspension.

Miles

1991 525i Sport Manual

west View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-November-2003 at 11:08
e34m5

I must say your 525 looks surperb in my opinion, I might be giving GSF a call this weekend !

daddy cool View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2003 at 01:06

i dont wanna sound like a cheap skate but if its only the ride height ur worried about then the very cheapest option is buy a set of coil spring asistors which simply slide around your coils to stop them from compressing as much . they were designed to aid in towing caravans but they will be perfect for you , if your thinking that they will fall out then dont worry because when the car` is off the jack the springs  compress and hold the assistors  in tightly .  they only cost about £14  and take 5 minits to fit .
   if you cant find any , get back to me cos ive got two sets in my garage  (i had to use them in my last stereo demo car cos of the weight , they raised it up by at least one and a half inches , and the thing weighd nearly 3 tonn )

e30 2.7 cab
e30 325i
e30 325 sport
e30 318 touring
e28 m5
e28 m535
e34 m5
e39 540
e36 318ti (green)
e36 318ti (mauve)
Ascotgrun View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2003 at 11:30
I have heard about those before and have been thinking about it, but wasn't sure if they would be a good option for this car.  The car rides fine as it is and I wouldn't want to mess up the handling for the sake of appearance.  £14 sounds high if you are talking about the same things I am.  The ones I have seen were nothing more than hard rubber blocks that wedged inbetween the coils, and went for the equivalent of £3-4 when I saw them in the US.

Edited by Ascotgrun
1995 520i SE
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2003 at 14:30

these arent blocks ! they wind round the coil and are made of heavy duty rubber , and things arent as cheap in blighty as they are in the u,s.

and if you want to raise the height of the car then you are gna effect the handling  no matter how you do it ! a lower car will allways handle better than a high one !!

e30 2.7 cab
e30 325i
e30 325 sport
e30 318 touring
e28 m5
e28 m535
e34 m5
e39 540
e36 318ti (green)
e36 318ti (mauve)
Ascotgrun View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2003 at 14:34
what you are describing is quite different than what I was thinking of so price comparisons are out the door.  Do you know where would be a good place to look for them?. 
1995 520i SE
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2003 at 14:42

my ones are made by Grayston who make allsorts of odd bits for cars , a good alladins cave type accesory shop will probably stock them ! if not they can probably get them for you !

Where abouts are you in the uk ?

e30 2.7 cab
e30 325i
e30 325 sport
e30 318 touring
e28 m5
e28 m535
e34 m5
e39 540
e36 318ti (green)
e36 318ti (mauve)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>