Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > BMW Related News
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Article: No regrets from BMW over ’radical evolution’
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedArticle: No regrets from BMW over ’radical evolution’

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Article: No regrets from BMW over ’radical evolution’
    Posted: 20-February-2008 at 17:50
from http://www.planet-f1.com/story/0,18954,3213_3172927,00.html

No regrets from BMW over 'radical evolution'

Wednesday 20th February 2008

BMW Sauber are sticking to its guns over the decision to adopt a adventurous approach to the design of their 2008 car, although they have admitted they are experiencing a few teething problems.

The F1.08's design philosophy was described as a "radical evolution" by technical director Willy Rampf during last month's launch, but Nick Heidfeld and Robert Kubica's testing results have not showed much of an improvement.

Rampf insists the team have done the right thing with the design.

"In order to make a step forward our engineers pushed it to the limit in many different areas like aerodynamics, suspension, cooling, brakes, steering feedback and others," he told the official Formuala One website.

"This approach is the only option if you want to close the gap to the front-runners. You don't get to the top just by being conservative.

"The benchmark in Formula One is on a level that forces you to take calculated risks. And that's exactly what we did. For us as a team it's a new experience to work on such a level and we are going through a learning process which will make us even more competitive."

Rampf is confident Heidfeld and Kubica will soon start seeing the benefits of the F1.08.

"There is no doubt that the F1.08 is considerably quicker that the F1.07, but it is more difficult to exploit its full potential at any given time and condition," he said.

"We still need a better understanding of the car, and we are learning every day. However, I have no doubt that we are getting there."

Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
Sponsored Links

Jack735 View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack735 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2008 at 19:47

I feel a Ferrari objection coming on ........ I'm away for a lie down

Oooh, The machine of a dream, such a clean machine With the pistons a pumpin', and the alloys all gleam, When I'm holding your wheel, All I hear is your gear, With my hand on your grease gun, Mmm it's like a disease son, I'm in love with my car, gotta feel for my automobile, Get a grip on my .......
Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-February-2008 at 09:52
Originally posted by Jack735 Jack735 wrote:

I feel a Ferrari objection coming on ........ I'm away for a lie down

They'll only do that if there are being beaten by the BMW's, but from what I've seen little chance of that at the moment.  

Sport Evolution Schwarz #043
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic