Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCan crank sensor cause car not to start?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote L8RNS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can crank sensor cause car not to start?
    Posted: 26-February-2008 at 22:02

HI MY CRANK SENSOR WAS DIGNOSED FAULTY A MONTH AGO IT WAS HAVING PROPBLEMS STARTING BUT NOW I TRY TO START IT IT TURNS OVER FOR AFEW SECONDS THEN MAKES A ZZZZZZZZ NOISE THEN I KEEP TRYING TO START AND IT KEEPS HAPPENING?THEN EVENTUALLY AFTER 10 MINS IT STARTS.

ANYONE HELP?

Sponsored Links

L8RNS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote L8RNS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2008 at 22:17
OH AND I HAVENT REPLACED THE SENSOR YET,IM JUST VERY PARANOID WITH THIS CAR BECAUSE IT SEEMS TO ME THAT A SENSOR COULDNT GIVE ME THEESE OUT COMES.
< FORZA WEST View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote < FORZA WEST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2008 at 22:23

The crank shaft sensor is needed for the firing order reference.If the signal fails it cant start.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZz no idea

L8RNS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote L8RNS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2008 at 22:26
SORRY LOL OK IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU TURNED THE HOOVER ON AND THE TICKING OVER HAS STOPPED.I HOPE THATS BETTER
jetsetwilly2000 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetsetwilly2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2008 at 14:37
DOES YOUR KEYBOARD HAVE A CAPSLOCK KEY? 

what car is it? 
The zzzz/hoover noise - could it just be the starter motor winding down?

had endless trouble with my E34 a while ago, turned out to be a failing alarm/immobiliser.  The CPS showed a fault but was not to blame, but in theory it certainly could be the CPS.

The takehome message unfortunately is you have to start investigating - I'd start with listening in the boot for the fuel pump, then changing the fuel filter (cheap and easy tests).

Best of luck!
E90 M3 DCT, E46 330d Touring, VW T5 wannabecamper

Previous: Disco 3 TDV6, 2x E34 540i6,

E34 535iS

stheaney2007 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stheaney2007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2008 at 21:35

yes mate definatley, i had an e30 325i, when i tried to start it would wind and wind, when u take the HT lead off one of the plugs and hold it to the head it wont spark, this is the the crankshaft sensor.....thats what mine was!!!

Current : BMW e36 328i Coupe, Angel eyes, Lowered, Leathers

Previous : E34 540i, 525i, 535i, 518i, E30 325i, E30 316
< FORZA WEST View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote < FORZA WEST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2008 at 23:15

Thats probabely the secondary air intake system firing up,runs for about 2 - 3 mins during warm up phase.

They become noisy and sound just like a hoover.

thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2008 at 23:42

L8RNS - please don't shout

Originally posted by <FONT face=Arial><strong>Forum Rules and Guidelines Forum Rules and Guidelines wrote:

No Cap Locks.
Please do not post messages with the subject or post all in capital letters, or your message will be deleted. Words all in capitals are not only annoying but are read 50% slower than normal writing.

lookie here...... http://www.bavarian-board.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=10&P N=1

Thank you.

Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
540 V8 View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-February-2008 at 12:04

Failed crank sensor will cause the engine not to start. The control unit needs to know what position all the cylinders are at so it can send signals to the rest of the systems that run the engine. Without knowing this basic information the engine has no way of running.

Mike

Current:E34 540i Touring 6 speed manual(Mpower bodykit & suspension)& Chrysler Voyager 3.3 V6 auto
Previous:E34 530iSE AC Schnitzer suspension.
E28 525e auto-Standard
Cambell View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-February-2008 at 16:27
My E39 had the crank sensor go, caused intermittent starting and then failed while doing 50MPH (not a good feeling) Just change it mate, only a few £££s from ECP
L8RNS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote L8RNS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-March-2008 at 14:43
thanks guys i had the crank sensor done and WOW it has made a big diffrence in drive,gearchange and starting.the wind noise was the starter motor but its ok now that i had the crank done.thanks guys
540 V8 View Drop Down
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2008 at 20:29

Originally posted by L8RNS L8RNS wrote:

thanks guys i had the crank sensor done and WOW it has made a big diffrence in drive,gearchange and starting.the wind noise was the starter motor but its ok now that i had the crank done.thanks guys

That's what we are here for!

Mike

Current:E34 540i Touring 6 speed manual(Mpower bodykit & suspension)& Chrysler Voyager 3.3 V6 auto
Previous:E34 530iSE AC Schnitzer suspension.
E28 525e auto-Standard
bmr4evr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmr4evr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2008 at 08:32
Originally posted by L8RNS L8RNS wrote:

congratulations!  did you replace both crank sensors (intake and exhaust), or just one of them?

to all experts in this board, i replaced my intake crank sensor only and the car was fine for a week, but now it seems like i am having the same problem again.  did the exhaust sensor just failed, or maybe i didn't do a good job installing the new one?  thanks, any help would be appreciated!

kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2008 at 09:49
There is only one crank sensor!
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
bmr4evr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmr4evr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2008 at 06:42
Originally posted by kbannon kbannon wrote:

There is only one crank sensor!

hmmm, maybe i got myself confused between crank and camshaft...

an auto-part store employee told me that a camshaft position sensor is the same as crank position sensor.  we were discussing code P0340 which stated that "the camshaft position sensor is monitored for error" for my car.  i expressed my doubts that they were the same, but he insisted that they were.  so are they really not the same thing?  sorry, if this question sounds dumb...  and thanks for clarifying...

kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2008 at 09:47
My 523i has only one cam sensor also
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic