Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Irish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedPrivately Run Speed Camera’s

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Privately Run Speed Camera’s
    Posted: 28-February-2008 at 13:24

Sport Evolution Schwarz #043
Sponsored Links

UJM3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UJM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2008 at 14:16

Might as well give up.

2k a year road tax.

main motorway is a 2 lane car park

trying to bring in a congestion charge in Dublin when the public transport is sh!te

VRT is gonna cost me 6k

Emigration is the only option

kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2008 at 14:35
from http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/motors/2008/0227/1203619480 467.html

Privatised cameras get the go ahead

Funding for the provision of privatised speed cameras was finally approved by Cabinet yesterday. The long-awaited decision will see a private firm provide 6,000 hours of speed camera enforcement a month, writes David Labanyi .

This will result in a significant increase in speeding enforcement. Last year 198,820 motorists were caught for the offence.

The cameras will be moved around approximately 600 roads and junctions identified by gardaí as being "prone to collisions". Decisions on when and where to site a camera will be taken by gardaí.

Asked when the cameras would begin operation, a spokesman for the Department of Justice said: "As early as possible this year. Until the contract is concluded we cannot confirm a date."

The Road Safety Strategy had set a target of June for having the cameras in place.

Concern over the expected cost of the project emerged late last year. Initial Government estimates put costs in the region of €5 million per annum but these proved to be significantly below the tender estimates that put annual costs closer to €25 million per annum.

The higher than expected figures prompted the Department of Justice to review the project, resulting in a delay which drew an angry response from the chairman of the Road Safety Authority Gay Byrne, among others.

Yesterday, however, the Cabinet agreed to proceed with the "outsourcing of a countrywide safety camera network, in line with the Road Safety Strategy".

The Department of Justice said in a statement it would contact the preferred bidder with a view to starting contract negotiations.

Any additional funds required for the project will be provided through a supplementary estimate.

Neither the Minister for Justice Brian Lenihan nor the Minister for Transport Noel Dempsey made a comment on the matter last night. A spokesman for the RSA declined to comment until the Authority was provided with more information.

A speed camera working group estimated that the revenue accruing to the Exchequer from speed cameras will be about €70 million.

© 2008 The Irish Times
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2008 at 14:37
I think the most important line in that article is the last one!
1997 E39 523i
dryle View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dryle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2008 at 15:51

© 2008 The Irish Times

this one??

Dave Ryle

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -- George Bernard Shaw
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2008 at 16:10
yeah!
Not the one about the new system reaping €70 million per annum!
1997 E39 523i
Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2008 at 16:32

Originally posted by kbannon kbannon wrote:

yeah!

At least Dick Turpin wore a mask.

Sport Evolution Schwarz #043
Fey! View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Funs over, Scotty; beam down my clothes!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fey! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2008 at 20:35

"The cameras will be moved around approximately 600 roads and junctions identified by gardaí as being "prone to collisions". Decisions on when and where to site a camera will be taken by gardaí."

May I suggest that whenever anyone sees one of these new cameras, you use a camera or cameraphone to take a picture of it, and note where and when you saw it.  Then send the picture and the details to each of your local TDs, as well as to the minister of justice, asking for details of at least 3 collisions at that spot in the previous 2 years, and see what the response is.

lukeduke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lukeduke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2008 at 20:51
their just out to get us ... bleed us dry!!!
Previous:
2001 M3
2004 M3 CS.
Current:
2007 318D SE SALOON.
dryle View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dryle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2008 at 20:57

Originally posted by kbannon kbannon wrote:

yeah!

doh

Dave Ryle

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -- George Bernard Shaw
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-February-2008 at 20:59

"A speed camera working group estimated that the revenue accruing to the Exchequer from speed cameras will be about €70 million."

So that will easily pay to fill in all the potholes

Now, before you all start to laugh, think about it.......

fill in all the pot-holes....

smooths out the road....

increases the average speed....

= more speeders = more money.

See! Logic at it's best

Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
larzyh View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larzyh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-February-2008 at 07:43

Revenue collecting in disguise of safety-awareness; I can already see speed-cameras up and down the nation's dual-carriageways and motorways.

The figures from Britain on the effectiveness of speed-cameras in reducing road fatalities is inconclusive to say the least. An expected reduction of 20% is ridiculously optimistic.

Larzyh.
Previously or currently, in the family: '77 E21 320, '78 E21 320, '79 E21 320, '87 E28 520i, '88 E30 325iC, '95 E34 525i, '98 E39 528i, '98 Z3 2.5, '98 E38 740iL, '95 E36 Compact, '99 E36 318iT, '02 E46 318iT, '96 E34 525tdsT, '98 E38 740iL...
irelandoffline View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandoffline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-February-2008 at 09:13
Mmm, it says nothing about saving lives or preventing road deaths.

It does mention "junctions identified by gardaí as being "prone to collisions"", so it's save to assume now that we have loads of cameras to take pictures of collisions.

Maybe they should use that €70 million in "revenue"(easy money), to vet the gobsh*tes who know very little about actual driving or of "the rules of the road".

The funniest line in that extract has to be this one...
"Last year 198,820 motorists were caught for the offence", note the word caught. 

Edited by irelandoffline
E39 Black, DSG off.

elara.ie - boards.ie
Daveco View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daveco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-February-2008 at 10:37
I would have no problem in destroying these scameras; it is grossly unfair that the people who pay the most to use the roads are being penalised the most. So the next question is, what would be most effective?

-Expanding foam?
-Hammer & chisel?
-Spray painting the lens?
-Setting them on fire?

dryle View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dryle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-February-2008 at 12:31

Originally posted by Daveco Daveco wrote:

I would have no problem in destroying these scameras; it is grossly unfair that the people who pay the most to use the roads are being penalised the most. So the next question is, what would be most effective?

-Expanding foam?
-Hammer & chisel?
-Spray painting the lens?
-Setting them on fire?

Dont be like the guy in Holland who was caught on camera busting one because he was done so many times.

Dave Ryle

dryle View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dryle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-February-2008 at 12:34
Originally posted by larzyh larzyh wrote:

Revenue collecting in disguise of safety-awareness; I can already see speed-cameras up and down the nation's dual-carriageways and motorways.

The figures from Britain on the effectiveness of speed-cameras in reducing road fatalities is inconclusive to say the least. An expected reduction of 20% is ridiculously optimistic.

Hit the road from porthsmouth to holyhead, along a 4 mile stretch I counted about 8/10 cameras

Dave Ryle

Fey! View Drop Down
Funs over, Scotty; beam down my clothes!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fey! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-February-2008 at 12:58
Wasn't it Gordon Ramsey who cling-filmed a camera, so that the "damage" wasn't obvious to a casual glance?
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-February-2008 at 13:06

Originally posted by Daveco Daveco wrote:

Expanding foam

(so I've been told)

Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
The blue bullet View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II
Surfs Up!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The blue bullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-February-2008 at 14:42

We can learn a lot from the UK on this matter

http://www.speedcam.co.uk/welcome.htm

Incidentally Captain Gatso drives a M3. bless you sir.

beemerchris View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beemerchris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-February-2008 at 15:41
Originally posted by The blue bullet The blue bullet wrote:

We can learn a lot from the UK on this matter

http://www.speedcam.co.uk/welcome.htm

Incidentally Captain Gatso drives a M3. bless you sir.

Thanks good link very informative.

Think it's time to buy a petrol driven cutter expanding foam and a jammer and join the club of MAD  

Chris

Chris
3rock-Car-Electronics-Services

Cars.:
e34 540t 6sp
e24 635csi
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic