Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Irish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked1st beamer - Looking at this one...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote workaccount Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1st beamer - Looking at this one...
    Posted: 01-March-2008 at 19:26
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/393989.htm

Hes looking for 2600GBP...it's a 96.

Why was this one sold for 400GBP extra when it's a year older. I know it's got leather seats. Seems to be the only real difference.
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/353451.htm

What do you think?

I'm a new newcomer to BMW and have not much experience in buying cars. I know the lower control arm bushes are a big one...what other things do I need to ask...look out for.

Thanks very much.
Sponsored Links

adzy216 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adzy216 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2008 at 20:12
First one looks the bizz ok. You'd have it for under 4keuro after vrt. A lot of car for the money. Gonna be a thirsty beast tho, be hard to drive it slow.
Always willing to learn
Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dergside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2008 at 10:29
At this stage, values of e34's like these has less to do with age and more to do with condition and history.  There is no indication of mileage on the newer car and its been messed with.  A clean, unmodified and relatively low mileage 525i Sport is considered a desirable car and ones that have been messed with, i.e. M5 looky-likey would be considered second best and worth a bit less.  If the mods and M5 look are what you are looking for then you can use this to your advantage.  However, if you have a mind to keep the car for a while and keep the mileage reasonable then the older car would probably get more of your money back at the end.
Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
Ben O Brien View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben O Brien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2008 at 16:25

For some odd reason i cant see pics, most days i can see them on pistonheads but some days i cant see any, anyway the second car was conans from the 5 series owners board.. It is a minter but i still think thats too much money to give for an E34. Sports havent reached that stage yet.

Ive had a few and all have been clean and bought for the right money. Duty is relatively small on these. ( was under 800euro last yr for pretty much any yr 525iS ). So they are a bargain in their own right.

M50's pretty much bombproof once you look after the water pumps and fit one with a metal impeller. I would buy a manual sport as it will always hold value and it would have the lsd etc.

They really are a fine car for the money but i wouldnt spend any more than around 2k sterling on one, a 3.6 M5 can be had for under 4k sterling these days. Maintenance costs are another kettle of fish however! :D

99' 740iL   
99' 728i Sport
98' E39 M5 - Avus Blue, Dec Car!
96' M3 Saloon - Estoril Blue
94' M3 3.0 Convertible
91' E34 M5 - 3.6, Macau Blue

*E36 M3's Breaking*
Ben O Brien View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben O Brien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2008 at 17:32

Again i cant see the photos but it might be worth checking this car out?

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/359285.htm

99' 740iL   
99' 728i Sport
98' E39 M5 - Avus Blue, Dec Car!
96' M3 Saloon - Estoril Blue
94' M3 3.0 Convertible
91' E34 M5 - 3.6, Macau Blue

*E36 M3's Breaking*
workaccount View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote workaccount Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2008 at 17:20
Ok. cheers for the advice. I won't go for the replica and I will wait around until something good comes up.

I would like leather seats anyway and that replica does not have them.

I have to have it before July though seeing as the new tax changes are coming in and could end up having to pay the highest rate of tax.
beemerchris View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beemerchris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2008 at 17:42

Give Treynor up north a shout for a quote on a leather interior as the e32/e34 are compatible, there are some nice ones around for cheap. Bought a 7 series(e32) for 500.- plain for the interior and wheels a couple of years ago for the 530 sold unforteunately

Chris

Chris
3rock-Car-Electronics-Services

Cars.:
e34 540t 6sp
e24 635csi
Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dergside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2008 at 18:16

Don't get too hung up on the VRT rate change. At the OMSP values of the e34, the difference between 30% VRT and 36% based on the same OMSP will be no more than about euro150.  I wouldn't feel the need to make a rush decision for a saving like that.

If the suggestions being made at the moment that Gormless will roll back on the announcements made in Decmember are true in relation to road tax on cars imported from July onwards then there is even less reason to rush a decision.

Prev:
e39 523i SE.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote workaccount Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2008 at 20:08
Originally posted by Dergside Dergside wrote:

Don't get too hung up on the VRT rate change. At the OMSP values of the e34, the difference between 30% VRT and 36% based on the same OMSP will be no more than about euro150.  I wouldn't feel the need to make a rush decision for a saving like that.

If the suggestions being made at the moment that Gormless will roll back on the announcements made in Decmember are true in relation to road tax on cars imported from July onwards then there is even less reason to rush a decision.

Hmm, somebody told me on another board that some cars that do not have official emmision figures will get charged at full tax rate (whatever that is...but the same as 4.0L cars etc) after July.

I don't know if the E38 has official emmision figures.
Ballcock View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ballcock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-March-2008 at 09:32
Originally posted by Dergside Dergside wrote:

I assume he meant the road tax D. If bought now then an E34 525i will cost c.€911 to tax pa but if bought in after July 1 will more than likely cost €2,000 per annum. I suspect even a newly imported E34 520i may indeed cost €2,000 in road tax pa after July 1 - assuming Gormely doesn't have the balls to (correctly) revert back to the old road tax system....

E34 Pilot - Keeping it Old School on Irish Roads.
Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dergside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-March-2008 at 10:33

It'll be interesting to see how the roadtax pans out.  Dead right, under the initial indications of the new roadtax regime, euro2k a year would be a killer for cars like the e34 525i. 

If the latest suggestions are followed through then its less relevant.  Going on the numbers published, it would cost the government more in lost revenue by having a large number of imports coming in after July and paying lower rates of roadtax based on co2 that it will cost them by letting off the relatively small number of imported cars that would otherwise have been hit with the euro2k roadtax. 

According to the figures from the Dept of Finance, only 4.7% of cars fall in to the top rate category (I don't know if imports are distributed across the rate categories in the same way).  That figure will diminish slowly over time as people respond to the new co2 based taxes and buy lower emitting cars.

There is a good chance that they will keep the roadtax on imports in line with the treatment of similar cars initially registered here.  The suggestion that they would be treated differently was a surprising anomoly when the details were first announced in December.  I'm fairly sure that there will have been some lobbying from groups such as SIMI about it too as their members would be disadvantaged with a lot of their stock if buyers could buy from the UK with potentially significant lower recurring running costs in erms of roadtax vs.their retail stock.

Given the figures on tax receipts released over recent days, I'd say there will be more emphasis on keeping the revenue stream of roadtax flowing at its current levels than introducing changes that would diminish it.

Edited by Dergside

Prev:
e39 523i SE.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote workaccount Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2008 at 22:31
Grrrr. There does not seem to be anything coming up on pistonheads at all. Is there anywhere else I should look?

autotrader.co.uk is not giving any results either.

Edited by workaccount

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote workaccount Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-March-2008 at 09:57
Originally posted by beemerchris beemerchris wrote:

Give Treynor up north a shout for a quote on a leather interior as the e32/e34 are compatible, there are some nice ones around for cheap. Bought a 7 series(e32) for 500.- plain for the interior and wheels a couple of years ago for the 530 sold unforteunately

Chris

Sorry there Chris. I don't actually understand your post fully.
Does treynor actually sell BMW's or does he just do leather outfits?
Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dergside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-March-2008 at 11:47
They are a breakers in NI that break quite a few BMW's.  Another to try is http://www.wysebmwgarage.com/index.htm  They are in Tipp.

Prev:
e39 523i SE.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic