FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWood removal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Tomski View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wood removal
    Posted: 16-March-2008 at 21:03

Are you going to buy a new silver set ?Did you think about painting old one or some kind of self adhesive material to stick on ?

Sponsored Links

Cambell View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-March-2008 at 08:09

Originally posted by filipharvey filipharvey wrote:

The car would be for the Mrs and I'm trying to convince her that a 5er is better than an A6 but she hates the wood.

Hey Phil,

I currently have an E39 and previously had a 2.6l V6 A6SE to be perfectly honest, the A6 was a lovely car and went like a scolded cat, the only thing it couldn't pass was a petrol station. it was a very substancial feeling car.

My E39 is a 523iSE although its still a 2.5l straight six, there is no way it would catch the A6, if I'm honest, my old 525iSE wouldn't have cought it either which all sounds negative for the BMW but here's where it changes. The cabin in the E39 is far more luxurious than the rather "cold and clinical" A6. Everything works as it should and the comfort is second to none.

The drive in the BMW is far more "sorted" and you have a feeling of actually being part of the process whereas the A6 had a very detached feeling.

Both great cars, hope you make the right choice. If you do, you wanna sell a bit of the wood trim, I've got a damaged bit.  

filipharvey View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote filipharvey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-March-2008 at 22:55
Thanks for the info chaps!
Previous:
BMW E34 525i SE (2.7 ETA Conversion w/Schrick Cam)
BMW E34 530i V8 Touring

Current: Alfa Romeo 156 1.8 TwinSpark
Mick525i View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mick525i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-March-2008 at 22:04

Its all easy to change except for the Gear leaver soround. To do this you need to start at the back of the cenre console. Remove the plastic pocket or cup holders and then remove the air vents. They just pull out when the plastic pocket is removed.

You will then see 2 screws to remove. There are also 2 8mm bolts holding down the centre console lid. If you get down low and look into the area where you just removed the heating vents you will see them. Once the lid is out you can then get accsess to the first 2 screws of the gear lever soround.

Now prise out the hazard warning switch. It pulls out with the aid of a small flat screwdriver.  Under here you will find another screw.

Finally pull up the gater adound the gear lever and you will see 2 more screws. Remove these and it all should come up. Be carefull of the cables attached.

HTH.

Mick

Cheers
Mick

BMW E21 318 1980
BMW E39 525i 2002 MTech
VW Golf Gti 2003
Tomski View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-March-2008 at 21:28
Yes door cards are easy ,just clips.But i m worried about one that covers the head unit and one around gear knob.
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-March-2008 at 17:15
It just pulls out, on the dash anyhow! I'd say the door cards are as easy.
When pulling it out, be careful that the plastic slots don't break
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
filipharvey View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote filipharvey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-March-2008 at 13:22
Thinking of getting another 5er, E39 this time and I was just wondering how easy it is to remove the wood trim on the dash/doorcards.

The car would be for the Mrs and I'm trying to convince her that a 5er is better than an A6 but she hates the wood. There are a couple that I'm looking at that both have the wood but I have seen the alu and silver trim and she likes that, so if its fairly easy to swap it could well be the clincher!

Any help appreciated!

Phil
Previous:
BMW E34 525i SE (2.7 ETA Conversion w/Schrick Cam)
BMW E34 530i V8 Touring

Current: Alfa Romeo 156 1.8 TwinSpark
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic