Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > BMW Related News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedProduction 2009 BMW X6 revealed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Production 2009 BMW X6 revealed
    Posted: 09-March-2008 at 22:24

from here...

Quote Just three months after the official debut of the X6 Concept, BMW has revealed the production version of the X6 coupe-crossover, which it calls a "Sport Activity Coupe." Along with the wild exterior comes an all-new twin-turbo V8 that will find its way into other new BMWs next year.

BMW is the first automaker to bring such an SUV to market, although other automakers are said to be planning similar coupe-like utility vehicles. Land Rover, for example, recently unveiled its LRX coupe-crossover concept.

Compared with the concept, very little has changed. In fact, you'll have a hard time noticing any differences at all. The only obvious design tweak was made to the crossover's side windows. On the concept, the B- and C-pillars are not visible, but on the production car they clearly divide up the glass.

Even the X6's complex front fender design made it to production. Each front quarter panel surrounds the entire headlamp, creating a very seamless appearance. The X6's aggressive front fascia is also carried over from the concept, with its large air intakes and stylish fog lamps.

Daring design

As the photos show, the X6 is anything but a conservative design.

The X6's roofline begins arching downward after the B-pillar and continues plunging right to the X6's rising waistline. As a result, second-row headroom and rear cargo volume are both compromised.

The new X6 will be longer and lower than the new X5, seating only four. But what the sporty X6 loses in seating and storage, it is expected gain in performance.

Compared to the X5, the X6 has almost an inch of additional wheelbase length, and two inches of added width. The overall height of the X6 is a whopping 3.3 inches lower than that of the X5.

All-new twin-turbocharged V8

The range-topping X6 xDrive50i is propelled by an all-new twin-turbo 4.4-liter V8 unit producing 407 horsepower at 5500 rpm and 446 pound-feet of torque between 1750 rpm and 4500 rpm. The sprint to 62 mph takes just 5.4 seconds and fuel economy is estimated at around 19 mpg (U.S. gallons).

The engine is designed as a replacement to the company's current 4.8-liter naturally-aspirated V8. It is expected to filter into other models like the 5-Series, 6-Series and 7-Series in the near future.

The engine seems to represent the second stage in a shift at BMW from high-displacement naturally-aspirated motors to slightly smaller turbocharged powerplants. BMW's twin-turbo 3.0-liter engine that powers the 335i and 135i has been met with overwhelmingly positive reviews, and it appears BMW is hoping for similar results with its new V8.

The X6's other engine is also a twin-turbo setup. The xDrive35i will come with the aforementioned 3.0-liter inline-six from the 335i, producing 306 horsepower.

A diesel model will be offered in Europe, but it is unlike to come to America.

X6 to be BMW's first hybrid?

BMW has comitted to delivering an X6 hybrid, but official details have not yet been released. Visually the hybrid is identical to the regular X6 but BMW claims that the model is 20 percent more fuel-efficient.

Various reports indicate the X6 will be BMW's first production car offered with the option of a hybrid powertrain.

Production Version

Production Version - Video

< 412="" width="500"> < name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rFL4pJLYqNA&rel=1"> < name="wmode" value="transparent">< src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rFL4pJLYqNA&rel=1" ="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" height="412" width="500">

Concept Version

Concept Version - Auto Show Images

Edited by kbannon
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
Sponsored Links

thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2008 at 16:28

So, what's it meant to be? A Sports Hatch? An Off-Roader? Wait until Top-Gear get their hands on it - lets see if they can drive this to the top of a mountain

And I bet they produce a MX6 (X6M?) version!

Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-March-2008 at 09:55
Originally posted by thepits thepits wrote:

So, what's it meant to be?

One for the yanks...........

Sport Evolution Schwarz #043
Coasting View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
www.TOTALTORQUE.net

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coasting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-March-2008 at 16:57

I think it's a cracking looking car.

One of our members has seen one on the roads, on test, and from not liking it at all in the press shots he said it's a stunning looking car with huge road presence.

Now with FREE HPI CHECK and FREE GLASSES GUIDE VALUATIONS for all members!

Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-March-2008 at 20:57
Originally posted by Coasting Coasting wrote:

I think it's a cracking looking car.

One of our members has seen one on the roads, on test, and from not liking it at all in the press shots he said it's a stunning looking car with huge road presence.

Looks like a new car on the driveway soon eh Coasting?
V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
540 V8 View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2008 at 23:04

I have to say, I like it but then I am modern and contemporary, being young an all!  It's like the 6 series meets the X5. I like the X5 and the 6 is a real looker so I can't find too much fault with the looks. As for it's actual use, it may just end up being another school run limosine which will get slated for looking better than it's functionality but if that's progress then I'm not one to stand in the way.

Mike

Current:E34 540i Touring 6 speed manual(Mpower bodykit & suspension)& Chrysler Voyager 3.3 V6 auto
Previous:E34 530iSE AC Schnitzer suspension.
E28 525e auto-Standard
Coasting View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
www.TOTALTORQUE.net

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coasting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-June-2008 at 23:23

I recalled commenting on this back in March so thought an update was due.

I test drove an X6 35i earlier this week.  That's 3.0 litre twin turbo petrol variant putting out 306 bhp and 400 Nm of torque.  I was incredibly impressed.

In respect of the original question about 'what's it for', well I can certainly answer that now - it's by far the best handling SUV anywhere.  Far superior to a Cayenne, in a completely different league to a Range Rover Sport, and an absolute barnstorming B-Road hooligan.

The noise from the two very large chrome pipes jutting out of the rear of the valance is, well, sublime.  Addictive doesn't even begin to describe it.  From someone who is a V8 addict I can tell you the 35i gives a tone that very little else will compete with in my opinion.

The interior of the car is far superior to that of my 6 series, the build quality is better, the materials are in a different class and the car exudes the presence of somewhere you want to be.  It was a total eye-opener to me. 

In respect of grip it is nothing short of incredible.  This car will destroy corners like nothing else in it's category in my opinion - and a lot better than a good few Coupes too.  The rear 315 width tyres provide superglue like traction and when coupled with the X-Drive 4WD system it's something you have to witness to believe.

It rides firmly, but not uncomfortably, has a collosal amount of road presence (a potential downside is that the car attracts a lot of attention) and I personally think it looks fabulous - particularly the direct rear or rear/side quarter view. 

The reversing camera system is a must though because rearward visibility is as poor as in the 6 series Convertible. 

If wanting a car that combines 4WD with sports handling, excellent performance, space (thought limited boot space there is a good amount below the floor in a deep recess) and simply unique looks - well I can't think of anything better. 

Price wise I specced one up from it's 43k base to 51k without much trouble and I'll be making a decision about one this weekend.

I liked the looks originally but wasn't sure on the purpose - but driving one is a revelation.  I've test drive the new M3 numerous times this year, tried RS4's, M5's, M6's, 911's and I've not been able to settle on something that I thought gave genuine value for money and a feeling of something that I could change my beloved 645 Cab for (a car I've owned longer than any other as it approaches 3 years old now) - and the X6 gave me a huge surprise in being a car that gave me that special feeling I'd not had from anything else.

Drive one - you'll get a shock at the zero body roll and incredibly tactile handling and performance.

Edited by Coasting

Now with FREE HPI CHECK and FREE GLASSES GUIDE VALUATIONS for all members!

kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-June-2008 at 00:51
You were obviously impressed Coasting - best of luck with the purchase if you do go for it!
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic