Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > General Motors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMetric Tyre Sizes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Metric Tyre Sizes
    Posted: 30-December-2002 at 11:34
I am a new member to this forum and I'm experiencing problems getting Metric Tyres for my BMW 525i (N Reg)

The problem being that the majority of tyre companies now produce tyres in a different format and I am finding it increasingly difficult getting the correct tyre size at a sensible price.

Can anyone suggest a company who will supply the tyres I need without spending a fortune!

Tyre Size TD 230/55 ZR 390 which I am told are only available by Dunlop called the Dunlop SP Sport D40

Rob
Sponsored Links

Nigel Marston View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-January-2003 at 13:06

Rob

I have used Hendon Tyre Services in London in the past. I have also used Elite which are a styling company based in Essex.  WHat about Black Circle that advertises in the club magazine.

I hade 220 55 VR 390 metrics on my M535i for years.  I treid Michelin and Avon. Avon often started to crack around the sidewalls and I actually amanged to get some money out of the to compensate me for the lost wear. I eventually saw the light and replaced the wheels with standard 15 inch cross spokes off an E34 and put Michelin Pilots on - what a difference! I wish I had done it years ago.

Nigel

Howard View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Did I say thaaaat?

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-January-2003 at 16:18

It would seem that some tyres are going out of production. Currently 635, M635, and early 535 tyres are no longer being produced. Michelin are supposed to be producing a run of tyres for the 6 series, but only 500 of them. After this there will be no more. Basically, if you can lay your hands on some then do so now.

I had a set of Hartge wheels with some low profile tyres (non metric) on my M6 and it handled like a dog. Switched back to the original TRX ones and it was great.

Cost Co advertise that they will obtain any size of tyre that is manufactured. May be worth a try. They have branches all round the country.

1963 700 LS
1988 635 CSi
1990 M635 CSi no longer!
2001 E38 728i Individual

http://www.tyneships.co.uk
mark m power View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-January-2003 at 17:16
HI IM IN NIRELAND AND CAN GET NEW TRX MICHELINS BUT ARE EXPENSIVE AND HAVENT A LOT OF GRIP AVON STILL MAKE SOME SIZES AS WELL AND GOT 4 THERE BEFORE CHRISTMAS FOR A 535I £95 EACH MICHELINS DEPENDING ON SIZE FROM ABOUT £150 HAVE ALSO CONTACTS IN HOLLAND IF U WANT E MAIL ME AND ILL HELPU IF I CAN OR CALL ME ON 07903509841
many thanks mark
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-January-2003 at 18:11
Thanks for all your help.
Managed to get some tyres in the end for £95 each.

But I was told by the tyre fitters that the tyre size I was after for my 525 were slowly being fazed out and that BMW UK were trying to buy the remaining tyres to sell through their dealers for a vast mark-up!

so get them while you can!

Robert
Kein Lenkrad View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-February-2003 at 00:53

I have a set trx Michelin M&S winter tyres (75%). They are mounted on restored TRX alloys. They are V rated and give the car very good traction in sludge and snow. Also have another set 2Michelin (one 100%, one 85%, and two Avons(40%).

would consider selling.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic