Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > BMW Related News
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Article: BMW considering tii version of the next 3-series?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedArticle: BMW considering tii version of the next 3-series?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Article: BMW considering tii version of the next 3-series?
    Posted: 13-March-2008 at 10:10

BMW considering tii version of the next 3-series?

Posted Mar 12th 2008 2:29PM by Damon Lavrinc
Filed under: BMW

Click above for high-res gallery of the BMW Concept 1-Series tii

Of all the BMW 2002s still on the road, the tii models have remained the most highly prized. The combination of lightweight parts, Kugelfisher mechanical fuel injection and upgraded braking and suspension components made it the milestone of BMW performance offerings during the '60s and '70s. BMW recognizes the cachet that the tii badge carries among afficionados, and may be looking to officially bring back the badge to slot in below its M-line of products.

What began with the 1-series tii concept has evolved into the automaker's BMW Performance accessories range that now includes aero bits, uprated wheels and brakes, plus a range of interior components covering everything from heavily bolstered buckets to LED instrument clusters. BMW might be planning to offer similar parts for the next generation 3-series, due out sometime in early 2012. Aside from more traditional bolt-on accessories, this could included a tweaked version of the twin-turbocharged 3.0-liter straight-six currently found in the 335i producing 355 hp and sending power to BMW's new dual-clutch transmission on its way down the driveline to an M3-spec limited-slip differential.

Naturally, any news coming from Autobild has to be treated with a few grains of salt, but if BMW offers a tii version of the 1-series – rumored to be a possibility – it wouldn't be a tough sell for a similar version of BMW's best-selling 3-series.

Update: Gabe over at BimmerFile tipped us off that the electronic differential and DSC system found in the current 135i will find its way into the 335i in the next few years. The extra kit will likely be part of a performance package to keep the 335i relevant before the next iteration comes to market.

from here...
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
Sponsored Links

Webdunk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
M3 GT Register

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Webdunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2008 at 11:37
Pistonheads reports that the 1 series concept will not be making production
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2008 at 12:07
so they do...

BMW: NO PRODUCTION 1 SERIES TII

Firm launches retrofit range instead of production Tii

BMW has decided against a production version of the BMW 1-Series Tii, instead launching a range of performance parts for customers to add to their cars. The company has stressed the Tii concept was just that, but today BMW told PistonHeads it was unlikely a factory version would ever see the light of day. BMW Performance is a new range of driving-oriented aftermarket accessories that build on the success of the M cars and M Sport models.

They are all retrofit components, including upgrades to the engine, braking system, suspension and alloy wheels, as well as interior and exterior enhancements, all for BMW 1 and 3 Series cars. The Tii Concept was very well received when it broke cover at the end of last year, with many suggesting it would be a turbocharged reincarnation of the original E30 M3. It was named after the performance version of the 70s 2002 saloon and promised affordable performance for a younger market.

But a BMW spokesman told PistonHeads: 'There won't a be a factory production version but if that is what customers want then this is how they would do it.' BMW Performance does allow owners of six-cylinder 1 and 3 Series models to specify a carbon fibre air intake system. This system offers improved air flow and additional engine air supply, as well as making a particularly sporting induction note.

A BMW Performance sports braking package for enhanced stopping power can be specified. Featuring cross-drilled and vented brake discs on the front axle as well as motorsport-derived six-piston fixed callipers, finished in BMW Performance yellow, the package sharpens braking response as well as cutting braking distances. Those drivers wanting to enhance the agility of their cars will select BMW Performance suspension. 

The BMW Performance suspension package comprises recalibrated shock absorbers and coil springs, and it also lowers the ride height of the car by 10mm to reduce the centre of gravity. 

Cars equipped with BMW Performance suspension can be identified by their yellow coil springs. A BMW Performance carbon fibre front suspension strut brace that adds torsional rigidity to the front of the car can also be selected. There is a number of exterior body styling parts available, including a new front spoiler with fully integrated black high-gloss kidney grille surround as well as sculpted and contoured side sills.

Model-specific exterior carbon fibre accessories are also available.  BMW 1 Series owners can opt for carbon fibre exterior door mirrors. Alternatively, 1 and 3 Series drivers can select the new BMW Performance carbon fibre rear spoiler or carbon rear diffuser to enhance the appearance of the car as well as the aerodynamics. 

Inside owners can specify BMW Performance carbon fibre components. Weight-saving carbon fibre components for the dashboard, front and rear door panels and centre console are available.  Customers can also specify foot pedals and a footrest made from lightweight aluminium. Prices are yet to be announced.

1997 E39 523i
Webdunk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
M3 GT Register

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Webdunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2008 at 15:27
Go on then K - don't suppose you have tracked down any coherent info on 'BMW Performance' then..?
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2008 at 21:39
1997 E39 523i
Webdunk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
M3 GT Register

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Webdunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-March-2008 at 08:46
LOL You rock
Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2008 at 17:16

Looks like it could be back on the cards again.....

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=17838

Sport Evolution Schwarz #043
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic