Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > General Motors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedStripped Sump Plug

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Starting a Collection

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeemaBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stripped Sump Plug
    Posted: 21-March-2008 at 10:45

Hi All

Encountered a bit of a problem with servicing my 740I!!!

The flippin sump bolt is stripped! It looks like the PO has tightened it soooo much that it has stripped the threads on the oil pan! The bold now just turns and what looks to be the almost tight position...meaning that I cannot even get a flatblade screwdriver in there to help force it out!

Has anyone got any suggestions...as this obv means that I cannot change the oil until I get this sorted!

What would be the plan of action after I get the bolt out though...does it mean I need a whole new oil pan???

Thanks

BB

87 E30 320I
95 E34 525I Auto, Executive Package, Arctic Silver
98 E38 740I Steptronic, Silver
Sponsored Links

Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2008 at 12:38
Get a tap and dye set and re 'tap' the thread, although yoy would probably want to remove the sump to do this as you don't want and metal debris being left in the sump.

Sport Evolution Schwarz #043
< FORZA WEST View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote < FORZA WEST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2008 at 19:31

At a stealer we tend to fit a new sump..Its only a small section of sump a easy enough to fit...whilst its off check the oil pump bolts are tight.Have come across a few that have become undone.Thats not a cause for panic everyone.

To repair the sump you need to take the lower pan off anyway,unless you enjoy oil running down your arms.You can try a tap of the treads but it is sometimes hard to get a good seal again.

Nick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor
BMWCC Area Organiser Yorks & Humber

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-March-2008 at 10:08
You can suck the oil out of the dipstick tube with a syphon pump.. and never have to remove the drain plug again!
BeemaBoy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Starting a Collection

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeemaBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2008 at 09:26

Originally posted by Nick Nick wrote:

You can suck the oil out of the dipstick tube with a syphon pump.. and never have to remove the drain plug again!

Could be somewhat time consuming ...

Luckily, I finally managed to get the sump plug out. Turns out that it was the bolt that was stripped and was also the incorrect size...thanks to the IDIOT PO!!!

So I bought a new one from the dealers and torqued it to the correct values. A small and relativily easy fix...thanks goodness

Thanks

BB

87 E30 320I
95 E34 525I Auto, Executive Package, Arctic Silver
98 E38 740I Steptronic, Silver
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic