Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 7 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedJust got my bmw

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fenderuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Just got my bmw
    Posted: 02-April-2008 at 11:15
Hi all just got my new bmw 740i and i love it, the best car i have ever drove, its the e38 m60 on a 95, and it has done 230k miles but feels like its done 25, the engine is so quiet the gear change is so smooth, and hell do is move, and i have not even used the sport button yet. The only thing that worries me is the mpg, i can help putting my foot down and listening to the sound of that engine, just need to find a tunnel..Anyway a few questions, does anyone know id it has an alpine stereo in, also it has an M powered badge on the back what does that mean? is it an m power or has someone just stuck a badge on, i dont know..

Edited by Fenderuk
Sponsored Links

Jack735 View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack735 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2008 at 12:36

I would think you probably have the standard business radio in it - check the manual.

The M powered badge on the back means someone stuck an M powered badge on the back.  There has been talk of an M Power E38 in South Africa but its bit like a unicorn - everyone knows what it should look like but no-one has seen one!

The E38 is a beautiful car all round and worth the petrol.

I'd take your email address off your message (edit) if I was you as some folk trawl sites like this looking for email addresses to spam.  If anyone from here wants to get in touch with you they can use the Personal Message (PM button) option.

Welcome to the site.

Oooh, The machine of a dream, such a clean machine With the pistons a pumpin', and the alloys all gleam, When I'm holding your wheel, All I hear is your gear, With my hand on your grease gun, Mmm it's like a disease son, I'm in love with my car, gotta feel for my automobile, Get a grip on my .......
Fenderuk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fenderuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2008 at 13:04

ok didnt think it was an m power, its fast enough anyway.. Anything else i should know about the car though, everything seems to run and work, well apart from the airbag light stays on, and when i got the car it had a new radiator fitted so i replace the thermostat and housing. Everything seems fine though, and is it more economical to use the cruise control or not?

Fenderuk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fenderuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2008 at 13:33
Also i found a switch it the glove box that says on/off what does it do? Is it something to do with the alarm? I dont have a owners manual for the car either, anywhere i can download one or buy one?
Jack735 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack735 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2008 at 16:58
Originally posted by Fenderuk Fenderuk wrote:

ok didnt think it was an m power, its fast enough anyway.. Anything else i should know about the car though, everything seems to run and work, well apart from the airbag light stays on, and when i got the car it had a new radiator fitted so i replace the thermostat and housing. Everything seems fine though, and is it more economical to use the cruise control or not?

They sure are!

I'd get that seen to.

I dont think it really makes much difference, maybe just a bit better.  On really long drives when its in cruise control I go to manual and put it in 5th and then come up to a round a bout and forget

Oooh, The machine of a dream, such a clean machine With the pistons a pumpin', and the alloys all gleam, When I'm holding your wheel, All I hear is your gear, With my hand on your grease gun, Mmm it's like a disease son, I'm in love with my car, gotta feel for my automobile, Get a grip on my .......
Jack735 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack735 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2008 at 17:36

Also i found a switch it the glove box that says on/off what does it do? Is it something to do with the alarm? I dont have a owners manual for the car either, anywhere i can download one or buy one?

I've just had my tea and very nice it was too

Anyway.

I've heard folk talk about a switch in the glove box but I dont have one.  There's fuses and the bit for the torch.

You can download owners manuals from http://www.e38.org/ right down at the foot of the page, left hand side.  There all from the USA so they're all wrong hand drive.  They are big, in terms of MBs, so will take a while to download.

PM sent.

Fenderuk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fenderuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2008 at 14:25

I still have no luck on finding out what the switch does, i have also just realised that when i fill the petrol tank up by half full it leaks, so jacking it up this weekend and am going to repair it with petrol patch, fingers crossed it will work..As a new tank from bmw is £591+Vat..Petrol patch is about £5.99..Try that first..

gilescooperuk View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gilescooperuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2008 at 23:23

I still have no luck on finding out what the switch does, i have also just realised that when i fill the petrol tank up by half full it leaks, so jacking it up this weekend and am going to repair it with petrol patch, fingers crossed it will work..As a new tank from bmw is £591+Vat..Petrol patch is about £5.99..Try that first..

Is this a common problem my brother just bought a 728 and has the same issue a leak in the tank. Although a mechanic friend says it looks like some numpty tried to jack the car on the tank!

Giles Cooper

http://www.gilescooper.co.uk

Tiger Cat E1 (fun car)

1989 BMW 525i (commuting car)
BeemaBoy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Starting a Collection

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeemaBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2008 at 07:41

The airbag light is usually one of the following...

The front seat connectors which are under the plastic covers. These are for the seat-belt pre-tensioners and if they are disconnected when the battery is connected then the airbag light comes on...

The other common problem is the front seat occupancy detector. This sits inside the seat and tells the airbag module if someone is in the front seat or not. This was implimented to keep repair costs in the event of an accident, as if no one was in the seat, no need for an airbag! This also has a connector under the seat, so check that too...

Best thing is to also get a diagnostic check to tell you exactly what it is. If it is the occupancy detector, you will probably have to replace it...which is a PIG of a job! Best thing to do is get the sensor disabled by the dealers so that the airbag fires irrespective of whether anyone is in the front seat or not...as these cars have lost sooo much value now, any accident is usually a write off anyway

BB 

87 E30 320I
95 E34 525I Auto, Executive Package, Arctic Silver
98 E38 740I Steptronic, Silver
BeemaBoy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Starting a Collection

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeemaBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2008 at 07:57

There is nothing in my manual or the ones I downloaded off the net about a switch being there?

I am with Jack on this one...something for the alarm. Possibly to disable the inteior motion sensor? Try testing this...lock the car and sit inside with the switch in both position to see if it sets off the alarm? Could it also be to disable or enable a chirp when the car is locked?What type of remote do you have? Is it the one with 3 buttons and the remote integrated into the key?

Could also be the switch for the bonnet light...if you have one?

BB

87 E30 320I
Fenderuk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fenderuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2008 at 21:21
Hi thanks for all your help on the problems, everything seems to be in good order not, went for an mot and it failed but not on much, so not an expensive fix. Although the petrol smell seems to be confusing, i tried the car without the petrol cap in for a while and did a run to cornwall, which was about a 500 mile trip, and for a few days after no smell..But as i had to have the car mot'd had to put the cap back on it, and guess what the smell has come back..So im wondering if there is an overspill pipe or something, that maybe under pressure may leak a little? But when i undo the cap there is no sign of pressure? Im stuck on this one..
Fenderuk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fenderuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2008 at 12:47

I have just been out to the car this morning and now it is leaking petrol, what can i be? Is it a vent pipe are they easy to get to?

BeemaBoy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Starting a Collection

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeemaBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2008 at 14:11

I had this exact same problem on my old 320I. That was the seal that connected the filler tube to the actual tank...seems that it had perished. Everytime I filled the car up past the half way mark it would vommiit petrol out the bottom. Took the mechanic a while to find that and a while for me to realize that I was throwing money on the road for 3 weeks!!!

The thing that was leaking on my car was in the same place that number 18 is on this diagram of an E38 fuel tank... Hope it helps you...

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=GF82&mospi d=47517&btnr=16_0193&hg=16&fg=05

Cheers

BB

87 E30 320I
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2008 at 14:17
Can you start the car when the switch is off? COuld it be a cheap immobiliser?
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2008 at 14:18
...obviously making sure there isn't petrol leaking about first!!!
1997 E39 523i
Fenderuk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fenderuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2008 at 23:12
Haha yes i can start the car with the switch off..
BeemaBoy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Starting a Collection

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeemaBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2008 at 09:48
If the leak is ocuring around the tank...have a look here...

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/311555

Cheers
BB
87 E30 320I
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2008 at 09:54
good article - pity about Sharon not taking one for the team! 
1997 E39 523i
BeemaBoy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Starting a Collection

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeemaBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2008 at 10:46
It is a rather interesting choice of words isnt it
87 E30 320I
Fenderuk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fenderuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2008 at 18:47
Its leaking on the passenger side, i have had a look under the car and the tank seems to saddle over the prop shaft and exhausts, but can seem to see where its leaking from, buts on the passenger side..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic