Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > Detailing & Car Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedRemoving overspray from Alloys

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Removing overspray from Alloys
    Posted: 11-April-2008 at 13:15

Does anyone know how to get overspray off from the inside of alloy wheels?

My E60 was touched up (a wee scratch) before I bought it and on cleaning the insides of the front alloy wheels I discovered that one had silver overspray on the inside of the rim.

The overspray has sort of sealed in the brake dust and tar spots to some extent and I couldn't remove them with a clay bar.  The other front wheel came up lovely with Autoglym wheel cleaner and rubbing over with my old clay bar.

The clay wouldn't work on the overspray alloy.  It was too rough a surface, the clay really dragged over the surface.

Any thoughts?

Andrew

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Sponsored Links

Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2008 at 13:57
T-Cut, wouldn't use this on the body but should be Ok for the inside of an alloy.

If you don't want to use T-Cut then try a more aggressive clay, like Meguiars Overspray Clay or Sonous Aggressive clay.

Edited by Sporty1

Sport Evolution Schwarz #043
ACS330 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACS330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2008 at 14:25

Just don't forget, if you do use T-Cut make sure you use a polish afterwards to seal the finish, any good polish will do the trick, you could then use poorboys wheel sealant on top to provide extra protection so they are a lot easier tio keep clean from the front without having to remove the rims periodically.

Alan

ACS 330 Supercharged, some others, some long gone, some forgotten, some not, e39 528sport, e36 323Msport, e30 M3, e36 318se, e36 318is, e34 525se, e30 318is, e30 325sport and some unmentionables in between...
JohnH View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2008 at 22:53
Use a clay bar - that'll do it
Allan320 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Obsessive Detailer!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allan320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-April-2008 at 21:21

Hey Andrew.  Megs do an agressive overspray clay available from their shop.  Only have mild at the moment tho :( http://www.meguiars.co.uk/cgi-bin/specwd.pl?pc=C2000&tp= 0

What im worried about is, if they have oversprayed paint onto the alloy, then they will probably have oversprayed clear coat ont them too, thus sealing it in.

Try the t-cut method also, before trying the clay.  Also look into a wheel sealent for protecting the wheels and keeping them looking better for longer   Just clean the alloy, polish if you like, then use the wheel sealent (poorboys wheel sealent gets a good write up)

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-April-2008 at 08:39

Yeah there is also clear coat on it to, sorry, that is what has sealed the brake dust on to the rim!

Thanks for the tips guys.

Andrew

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic