Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedE36 316i coupe window prob!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bflatflute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: E36 316i coupe window prob!!
    Posted: 22-April-2008 at 21:14

ive got a 316i coupe 1995 and the windows are driving me ape!!! when i hit the automatic/pushing the button down as far as it goes, the windows go down perfectly, but when i do the same for to put them back up, they will start going up and then decide to go back down on me again!!! i went to my local bmw garage, they were telling me it would cost 1000 euro to put it right! any ideas what could be up with it? any help would be great, thanks a million

Sponsored Links

Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-April-2008 at 21:25
Maybe needs some more plastic guides (the ones that run along at the bottom edge of the window that the actuator arms fasten to) they don't cost that much.
Mine was doing this, ended up bending one of the arms.. Window came out of the runner - PITA to get sorted.

Ended up getting the RAC windscreen bloke to sort it out when I had my other window replaced after an accident. He put new runners on and straightened the arm. Gave him a tenner for his trouble.

I'd have it looked at before it gets too bad, removing all the trim isn't a big job but getting your hands in behind the gubbins can cause a bit of grief. Was told a new mechanism would cost a bit as the whole lot would need replacing.

Edited by Rhys
V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-April-2008 at 21:25
Oh, welcome to the forum btw 
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
ally View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-April-2008 at 21:46
It's the guides sticking right enough, just try lubing them up with white / silicone grease, sholuld do the trick, it's a safety thing with BMW, if the window meets any resistance going up, it will stop & drop back a tiny bit, incase a child or something was stuck in the window.
E39 530i Sport Aegean Blue Edition
Saab 9-5T SE Estate
E36 318i loon...sold
E36 323i coupe...sold

bflatflute View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bflatflute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-April-2008 at 00:49
legends boys, delighted i found this site, descent spot so it is! ill give yere suggestions a go anyways. just to make sure........them guides are the small white plastic rectangular yokes with the wire kinda running round them ya???? cheers thanks
Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dergside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-April-2008 at 10:12

bflatflute

Welcome along.  Depending on what part of the banner you are in and if you do need someone to look at it, try John Roche in Gort.  His details are in the Irish Contacts thread on the Irish section.  He's a good guy and knows his way around BMW's after years of working in dealerships in the UK.

Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-April-2008 at 19:09
Originally posted by bflatflute bflatflute wrote:

......them guides are the small white plastic rectangular yokes with the wire kinda running round them ya???? cheers thanks

That's the ones, the wire bits are clips that hold the guides onto the arms. One of my guides broke and kept coming off the arm. Might be they just need some lube spraying in (think you need special silicone stuff not normal castrol grease) Someone will know.

J Reg Saab 900i 16v
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
bflatflute View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bflatflute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-April-2008 at 00:58
mighty stuff, thanks a million, better look into it, been letting them away with annoying me long enough!!! sound out, thanks!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic