Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > BMW Related News
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - PR: BMW PRESENTS HYDROGEN 7 TO EU PARLIAMENTARY PRESIDENT
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedPR: BMW PRESENTS HYDROGEN 7 TO EU PARLIAMENTARY PRESIDENT

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PR: BMW PRESENTS HYDROGEN 7 TO EU PARLIAMENTARY PRESIDENT
    Posted: 25-April-2008 at 00:32
Quote BMW PRESENTS HYDROGEN 7 TO EU PARLIAMENTARY PRESIDENT
23/04/2008

Strasburg. During his visit to the European Parliament in Strasburg on 23 April 2008, Dr. Norbert Reithofer, Chairman of the Board of BMW AG, presented the first series hydrogen saloon in the premium segment to the President of the European Parliament, Hans-Gert Pöttering.

In line with the European Parliament's efforts to take measures to reduce its own CO2 emissions, President Pöttering agreed to receive this car for institutional use for a limited trial period.

During the presentation, Dr. Norbert Reithofer said: "Our goal is sustained mobility. We can only make this possible together with the help of politicians and under reliable conditions. The Hydrogen 7 shows that we have initial solutions and are on the right track. We are convinced that regeneratively produced hydrogen has the most potential to secure our mobility in the future. We are both delighted and proud, President Pöttering, that we have managed to make this mobility concept reality today."

The BMW Group is one of the leading companies in the international automobile industry that is committed to sustained mobility. Already today, BMW is demonstrating its responsibility by the introduction of EfficientDynamics measures in the current model range. It is expected that 700,000 BMW vehicles with EfficientDynamic measures will be sold this year in Europe alone. The fuel saving of all new BMW vehicles sold in Europe compared to 2006 will be around 150 million litres. In terms of CO2, this means a saving of 373,000 tonnes.

At the same time, BMW has for more than two decades consistently focused on advancing hydrogen technology. In the long-term, hydrogen is to replace petrol as a fuel. Since 2007, the BMW Hydrogen 7 has been presented to selected representatives from Lifestyle, Politics and Industry. A small series of 100 vehicles has initially been produced. The BMW Hydrogen 7 combines the total integration of hydrogen technology with BMW typical driving dynamics, smooth running and comfort features.
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
Sponsored Links

kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2008 at 21:43
Quote PREEMINENT ENVIRONMENTALIST JOHN PICARD LATEST TO RECEIVE KEYS TO BMW HYDROGEN 7
25/04/2008

The Accomplished Sustainability Expert is Among the First Americans to Hit the Road In BMW's Hydrogen-Powered Luxury Sedan
Woodcliff, NJ - April 25, 2008... Sustainability Expert, Builder and Entrepreneur John Picard was handed the keys to one-of-25 BMW Hydrogen 7s on the U.S. roads as BMW today announced that he is the latest person to evaluate the technology of the world's first hydrogen-powered luxury sedan. The BMW Hydrogen 7 melds the polished luxury of BMW's largest sedan with the virtually emission-free power of a hydrogen combustion engine.

The BMW Pioneer Program gives industry leaders and prominent figures in entertainment, politics and business a BMW Hydrogen 7 for their daily use as proof that hydrogen powered vehicles could someday be viable for everyday driving. Picard joins Will Ferrell, Jay Leno, Ed Norton, Cameron Diaz, and Jason Bateman, among others, who have opted for a BMW Hydrogen 7 as their energy-efficient ride of choice.

"I love cars and I love the BMW Hydrogen 7. I have owned many cars, raced them, built them, and converted performance cars to natural fuels so I have a HUGE respect for what it took for the BMW Group to design and engineer this vehicle. BMW has kept the integrity, performance, and luxury of the 7 Series in tact while giving the driver an awesome sense of being responsible in the world. Hydrogen is the ultimate molecule and I commend BMW for creating a vehicle that breaks through the institutional barriers in the transportation space. The Hydrogen 7 can create and inspire the kind of sustainability we need on the planet."

Picard's commitment to sustainability has helped him to become one of the most sought-after experts in his field. He was one of the first members of President Bill Clinton's Greening of the White House team that developed environmental energy audits and innovative upgrade recommendations for the White House. In 1995, John received international attention when he built his own home completely "off the grid" to operate independent of all traditional paid utility services. Picard is currently serving as Sustainability Expert for Planet Green's major programming initiative that tells the real story of a town in Kansas that is re-building green after a tornado. GREENSBURG, produced by Leonardo DiCaprio and Craig Piligian is a 13 - episode series that will air on Planet Green - the newest member of the Discovery Network Family - in May.

The BMW Hydrogen 7 is not a concept car, but a production model vehicle that has successfully completed the entire Product Development Process. While the BMW Hydrogen 7 is not for sale, it is considered to be a milestone in bringing forward hydrogen as the sustainable fuel for individual transportation. Running in hydrogen mode, the BMW Hydrogen 7 essentially emits nothing but water vapor, representing a major step in reducing harmful CO2 emissions.

BMW coined the term "EfficientDynamics" to define a combination of short-term, mid-term and long-term measures for the continued reduction of fuel consumption and emissions while at the same time enhancing the performance and driving characteristics that are at the core of BMW. While BMW believes that hydrogen will replace petroleum as the long-term alternative to fossil fuel, it has worked consistently to optimize the efficiency of its gasoline engines. Further, BMW looks to its Advanced Diesel technology as another nearer-term solution and will introduce its first hybrid vehicle by 2009.

Previously announced members of the BMW Hydrogen 7 Pioneer Program include Will Ferrell, Jay Leno, opera star Placido Domingo, Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie, Richard Gere, Sharon Stone, Oscar® Award-winning producer Davis Guggenheim ("An Inconvenient Truth"), and famed director Steve Gaghan, among others. The vehicle has also made an impact oversees, with luminaries such as Michael Glos, German Federal Minister for Economy and Technology, and Günter Verheugen, Vice President of the European Commission, and many others.
1997 E39 523i
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2008 at 09:30

BMW hydrogen car offers near-zero emissions luxury

Updated Tue. Aug. 5 2008 6:25 PM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

A snazzy new 7-series BMW currently on tour in Canada has a water bottle sitting by its exhaust pipe -- one labelled "exhaust."

Liquid hydrogen powers this Beamer, which showed up in Montreal's old port on Tuesday as part of a tour.

"There (are) almost no emissions," BMW's Jochen Frey told reporters.

"And what happens is, if you drive in the city you actually clean the air. Usually in (the) downtown of the city, the air is a little more polluted."

But after going through the vehicle's emissions controls system, any air released back to the atmosphere will be somewhat cleaner, Frey said.

Auto expert George Iny of the Montréal-based Automotive Protection Association was impressed by the vehicle.

"We've been reading about it, so I'm very happy to see it in person. It's brilliant from an engineering standpoint," he told CTV Montreal.

The vehicles were brought in Monday night from Trois Rivieres, and will head to Toronto on Tuesday night. The cars are exclusive (the 7 series are the already the most luxurious model of BMW).

The 7 series cars normally go for about $175,000, but BMW say the hydrogen models are literally priceless.

"I think they are, at the moment, unpayable," Frey said. Fewer than 100 exist in the world, and have mostly been snapped up by celebrity clients.

On its website, the BMW Group touts hydrogen-powered vehicles as a way to fight the carbon emissions that drive global warming and climate change.

Alternative fuels won't cut it in the long run, it said.

"Only hydrogen fuel -- won from renewable sources such as sun, wind, water and biomass -- can provide a reduction in total CO2 emissions and meet our energy needs in a sustainable way," BMW said.

BMW's vehicle is powered by a 6.0-litre, 12-cylinder hydrogen combustion engine, with water being the only emission substance -- when operated on hydrogen. The BMW engine can also operate on gasoline.

BMW said its vehicle can "seamlessly" use existing refueling infrastructure. Refueling with hydrogen is "clean, easy and secure," it said.

The car uses cryogenic liquid hydrogen technology, which BMW said is more energy dense than other techniques such as compressed hydrogen gas.

Iny said that the car  is "way ahead" of being ready for the average customer. Besides its cost, liquid hydrogen isn't exactly available at the local gas station yet.

"This is not something you're gonna be driving home anytime soon," he said.

Here are some performance statistics about the vehicle:

• 191 kW / 260 hp
  • 390 newton-metres / 290 ft-lb. at 4,300 rpm
  • Zero to 100 kilometres per hour in 9.2 seconds
  • Top speed: 143 miles per hour / 230 kilometres per hour (electronically governed)
  • Total range: 435 miles / 700 km
  • In hydrogen mode: 125 miles / 200 kilometres
  • In gasoline mode: More than 300 miles / 500 kilometres

source...
1997 E39 523i
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2008 at 11:58
260hp is a little bit poor from a 6 litre engine though.
Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
spokey View Drop Down
Offensive and obnoxious tub of lard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spokey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2008 at 13:37
Personally, I would have preferred that they presented the head of the EU with a hydrogen bomb. One that was ticking.

Ciao,
Spokey

kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2008 at 18:55
Whilst using Hydrogen, it has only 1/3 of the range compared to that of petrol.
How much energy is spent / whats the CO2 output from making the Hydrogen compared to that emitted by 1/3 of a tank of petrol (which covers the same distance)?
1997 E39 523i
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic