Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW ///M Power
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBattery Drain

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3cK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battery Drain
    Posted: 02-May-2008 at 23:01
..The boot lock and light switch have recently been checked/adjusted but I still seem to be getting some drain from the (new) battery.

Just this week, half of the instrumentation lighting has gone awol! I seem to recall hearing about there being a small battery (on a circuit board?) somewhere which, when past it's sell by date, can cause zees problemz??? Is zis true???

Edited by M3cK
'89 E30 M3

Made in Munich
Sponsored Links

Lancastrian View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lancastrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2008 at 22:55

The batteries are on the service indicator board in the instrument housing. They are rechargeable but eventually they stop taking charge the way they should. This does tend to cause some odd faults like rev counter not working. Not sure about losing dash lights.

Also not sure if this would be the cause of your current drain.

You can replace the whole SI board which comes with new batteries or you can just replace the batteries.

click to find out more

E30 M3 Project - Specification TBC
Hoofty View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoofty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2008 at 00:45

Have you checked the voltage output from the alternator? I had odd battery problems which eventually turned out to be the alternator conking out. I expected something like that to cut out quickly but it was intermittent over a long period of time - it was only producing 7V by the time it stranded me in a Welsh camp site...

Rev counter runs off the alt on the same fuse as the stereo, don't think it's due to the SI board batteries. Some of the interior lights might be the same - it's always worth running through the fuse box to check all is ok.

New SI board is about £70-80 from the stealer, btw. This includes a £15 surcharge to return your original. Prices correct as of mid 2006 - I still haven't put mine in!

Nick

'89 E30 M3
'99 106 GTi
M3cK View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3cK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2008 at 13:07
Thanks for the comments, chaps. That link for the SI board is useful!

'89 E30 M3

Made in Munich
Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2008 at 09:49

I had fun and games with a friend Motorsport Convertible yesterday which was going flat after 4-5 days, fuse # 21 & 28 being the culprits.

Found not one but two old Trackers in the car both still live, and the instrument cluster itself causing the problem.

The drain is currently at 5 mA, still a little high, but we're going to see how it goes, if not instrument cluster will need to be opened up.  

Sport Evolution Schwarz #043
215DMX View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 215DMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2008 at 18:18
worth checking that pesky torch in the glove box...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic