Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 6 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockednew member

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote black m6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new member
    Posted: 16-May-2008 at 23:31

Just like to say hello have just joined bmw owners, hopefully will be able to get some good advice on how to get some problems sorted out on my 6.I have  got a M6 highline (89) she drives very well but under heavy braking she shakes a bit is this a common fault?She has a full history and i am in the middle of getting her back to former glory.Have got to agree the 6 is one of the most stunning coupes.Thanks

Sponsored Links

Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2008 at 00:09
Welcome to the forum. 
V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
alpina17 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alpina17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2008 at 15:11

Hopefully this may be as simple as a brake pad replacement. Also may be down to a faulty caliper/loose engine mount/front suspension components. Really will be a process of elimination, hope it starts & finishes at the pads...

Edited by alpina17
black m6 View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote black m6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2008 at 18:38

Checked the brakes today and looks like the pads are quite new but the front disks don,t  look great.The rears have been replaced have Bembos on so i think you could be right about the brakes being the problem look like the front disks.Hope so ! Thanks for your help Alpina 17.

3.0csl View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3.0csl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2008 at 19:41

You need to change the bushes in the control arms. Best thing to do is get polyurethane ones.

The discs could be slightly warped also as these cars are heavy on brakes.

I changed these and cured my old car's wobble - after those items you could hit the brakes from over a hundred down to a stop without a problem.

Rohan Murphy

3.0 csl 2285146
3.0 csl 2275522
black m6 View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote black m6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2008 at 20:10

I think i will change the bushes anyway if i am changing the disks as dont fancy stripping it down twice ,nice job for me to do next weekend.Thanks Rohan.

Does anybody have any idea how many M6 Highlines were made for this country? or how many are left

m3Cecotto View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Forum Sponsor
Bavarian-Board Forum Sponsor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m3Cecotto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2008 at 08:51
The 524 RHD M635s were built in rough batches of 50 or so at a time. There were, according to production records, 101 cars built after the late 1987 changeover to Highline  production of the standard car, so general folklore/assumption is that there were 101 RHD Highlines.  Guesswork says  that there are about half of them left, maybe a bit more.  Funnily enough the Highlines seem to rust a bit more than the earlier cars.

The 55 mph brake judder is a standard E24/E28 fitment and replacing the control arms bushes along with any dodgy track control arms/balljoints will tighten up your car to good effect.

The M635 CSi was introduced at the 1983 Frankfurt Motor Show. and deliveries to no doubt excited and wealthy customers started in 1984.   Producing an impressive 286bhp, from the 24 valve M88 engine from the M1, the M635 CSi remains one of  the most desirable BMWs ever. Only 5,803 models were produced with less than 10% of these (524) in RHD.   There were few major mechanical changes during the five-year period that the M635CSi was produced, though certain items with known mechanical defects (valve springs, two-piece wheels) were updated during the course of production.

The differences between the M635CSi and the standard car are significant, but  in true M Division style, almost impossible to spot without opening the bonnet.  Externally, the only clue to the fact that you were drooling over an M635 CSi rather than its standard derivative was the slightly deeper chin spoiler.  With the introduction of the Highline in the UK in late '87, all cars looked the same externally, but under the skin, it was all very different.

The M635CSi has the Getrag 280/5 five-speed manual gearbox and not as commonly believed the dogleg sports box.  All have limited slip differentials with a maximum locking of 25 percent and make use of the same MacPherson strut/semi-trailing arm suspension design common to all E24s.  The running gear was, of course, tweaked by the M division  and, ride height was reduced by 0.4 inches, an increase in  steering caster was dialled in, springs were stiffened by 15 percent and progressive rate rear springs were installed while all round specially-tuned Bilstein shocks were fitted.  The M635CSi has larger vented front disks  that measuring 11.8-inches (300mm) in diameter. These are clamped by four pistons instead of the normal two. The solid rear disks are the same as those found on the 635CSi.The interior of the M635CSi is very similar to all other  6 Series models. The instrument  cluster contains a 280 kph/170 mph speedometer and a special tachometer with the M logo instead of an economy meter. The battery of the M635CSi is mounted in the boot for better weight distribution.
1981 E23 735i
1989 E30 325i Motorsport Cabrio
1989 E24 635CSi Motorsport Edition

Bavarian Retro Cars
black m6 View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote black m6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2008 at 14:36
Many thanks for your info ,like the idea of having a rare car and it will spur me on to make sure i do a good job on her.Have not got too many rust spots on the car but the clear laq is starting to peel in places.Got her booked in for a respray next week so looking forward to getting her back mint.
black m6 View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote black m6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2008 at 22:47

Got car back today from the spray shop today, looks stunning they have done a top job .The only thing i dont like is the metric wheels have been looking at a few types of wheels but want it to still look right without looking over the top.Have been looking at BBS or ALPINAS do you think i would get away with these.Have be offered 17 inch bbs and a set of Alpina 10x18s.What do you think?

biggrinbounce2

mjf297 View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjf297 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2008 at 20:44

My own personal preference are BBS style 5's - I have a set of 17" with the deep dish from an 850 on my Highline. 17's look great but a word of warning - you will be replacing suspension and steering components regularly as the heavier wheels give them a real hard time, especially if you live somewhere like London like me!! You also get a lot more tramlining, I wish I'd gone with 16's... but then the 17s DO look nice!

1988 E24 635CSi HIGHLINE ZINNOBER RED - Whitesands Bay, Cornwall
black m6 View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote black m6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-June-2008 at 16:55
Yes i agree they do look very nice great looking car.Tryed the two sets on today and bbs 17 inch looked very well on the car but as you said the car does track on uneven roads,But thought the 18 inch Alpinas would be worse but they were very good car drove very well.Have not got a clue why ,but they do ride very well .Will send picture soon of car. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic