Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > Detailing & Car Care
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - cleaned my 328i putting in a bit more effort than usual
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedcleaned my 328i putting in a bit more effort than usual

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSK328i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cleaned my 328i putting in a bit more effort than usual
    Posted: 11-June-2008 at 15:55

Whilst I didn't have the amount of time I would have liked, I used Armourall Heavy Duty car wash with a wash mitt, followed by Meguiars Smooth Surface Clay Kit and finished off with that new Turtlewax Ice Wax (which is good if using in direct sunlight otherwise its best to stick to the the likes of Autogly/Meguiars polish & waxes).

Before Pics

Getting the hose out was hard enough ... any way below are the pictures after the wash, clay and wax (hadn't done the front or rear bumpers yet so took the pictures as a break )

Cleaned

Let The Good Times Roll
Sponsored Links

Pete330 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-June-2008 at 16:35
looking good
Previous:

E36 318is coupe, E36 323i coupe, E30 316 saloon, E30 318 saloon, E46 330ci Sport Conv
E92 325d M Sport(3.0),With Loads of gadgets

Current:
116i Sport F20
Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-June-2008 at 09:20
Great improvement. Didn't think that Ice stuff would be any good, looks impressive. 

Sport Evolution Schwarz #043
DSK328i View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSK328i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-June-2008 at 10:35

Originally posted by Sporty1 Sporty1 wrote:

Great improvement. Didn't think that Ice stuff would be any good, looks impressive. 

I'm not sure how the synthetic compound of that Ice Wax works, but as I get my auto stuff from an auto trade cash & carry, it doesn't cost a lot, so I usually buy the odd new item to give it a go.  The Turtlewax ICE wax, is very economical to use, picture it a bit like dabbing some baby oil over the car that buffs off easily on hot surfaces, in sunlight and is very quick and easy to work with.

Let The Good Times Roll
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-June-2008 at 13:05

The good result is from preping your surface.

You clayed the car so the polish looks much better.  Don't clay the surface and the end result is never as good.

Nice shine.  The blue is a really deep shine.  It is worth the effort to be able to see reflections like that in the paintwork.

Andrew

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
agaafear View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agaafear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2008 at 16:12
What is 'claying' the car?
DSK328i View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSK328i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2008 at 16:23

Originally posted by agaafear agaafear wrote:

What is 'claying' the car?

Its a clay bar, a bit like plastercine, that you go over the car's bodywork work to remove contaminents that that have stuck to the car's paintwork that you can't see or remove by washing etc.  Using a clay bar removes these contaminents and leaves you with a smooth surface for polishing and waxing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfEfLGL59GI&feature=relat ed

Let The Good Times Roll
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic