Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 8 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCoolant Temperature

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keenan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coolant Temperature
    Posted: 21-June-2008 at 13:44
Hi guys - still getting to grips with my new baby but maybe you can help with your experience icon_biggrin.gif

It happened a few days back and again today. Went on a relatively short trip into town and probably averaged about 50-60kmph along the way; lots of starting and stopping and slow speeds. Anyway, I know it's not a "city car" but I found that the engine/coolant temperature gauage went up, close to red relatively quickly. Anyway, got a warning about "coolant temperature". I turned off the engine when I could and it went back down. Went on my travlels home shortly afterwards and same again.
I filled up the coolant a couple of weeks ago however my question is:
Is this normal, for such a journey? I know any of the long distance motorway journeys I've done, the guage is in the centre and normal.
However, just wanted to see what you guys might have to say icon_question.gif

Thanks as always, in advance,
Keenan icon_biggrin.gif
Sponsored Links

thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-June-2008 at 14:38

Originally posted by keenan keenan wrote:

I filled up the coolant a couple of weeks ago....

"filled up"? Why? Was it loosing coolant, or did you just top it up a little bit?

If you have replaced the coolant - then are you sure you've got all the air out?

Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
keenan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keenan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-June-2008 at 14:49

Hi thepits.

Well, I checked out the level and it was not at the level it should have been at i.e. with the end of the red floater rod flush with the rim of the filler - it wasn't at this level so I was just checking a few bits on the car and this was one of em. Would it not be normal to "top up" (as opposed to the fill up, as I've said above) coolant from time to time? About getting the air out - my apologies, but not sure how this is achieved?

thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-June-2008 at 15:02

Originally posted by keenan keenan wrote:

Hi thepits. Well, I checked out the level and it was not at the level it should have been at i.e. with the end of the red floater rod flush with the rim of the filler - it wasn't at this level so I was just checking a few bits on the car and this was one of em. Would it not be normal to "top up" (as opposed to the fill up, as I've said above) coolant from time to time? About getting the air out - my apologies, but not sure how this is achieved?

Yep - sounds like a normal top-up to me, as far as getting the air out I've no idea on an 8 either - sorry ....... but I'm sure that some-one will be along soon to tell us

p.s. - was it ok before you topped up?

p.p.s. - just thought - what's the fan system on 8's? Electric? Checked it/they are working??

Edited by thepits
Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-June-2008 at 16:16

Normal BMW VC Fan for cooling.

This is obviously not normal, run the car up and check taht all the hoses are getting hot, you may have a sticking thermostat.

Sport Evolution Schwarz #043
Paul_540i View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul_540i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-June-2008 at 14:37
There are two fans on the 8, one viscous (the main one) and an electric one that comes on whenever the A/C is on, and also when the temperature gets quite high it comes on to help the main fan. It's a two speed fan, so the combination of the viscous fan and electric fan on high speed means town driving shouldn't be an issue regarding coolant temperature. It's quite common for the electric fan to fail, either due to the internals corroding, or the resistor which controls the speed burning out. If the viscous fan is working properly though, that alone should be enough to keep the car cool on all but the very hottest days, as it can push a lot more air than the electric fan.

The 8 series, like many BMWs, has a buffered temperature gauge. So when it's warmed up, the gauge stays in the middle (actually very slightly to the left of centre). If it ever starts to go above this, you have a problem and should stop as soon as it's safe to do so and investigate it.

The coolant level shouldn't go down, if you have to top up at anything other than very lengthy intervals, this indicates a leak. Common points are both water pumps (one main one on the front of the engine, and another small one in front of the bulkhead for the heating system), the valves for the heater system also in front of the bulkhead, any of the hoses, or possibly the valley pan gasket in the middle of the two banks of the V8.

If you are having to top up coolant, chances are the leak is also letting air in, which can exacerbate the problem due to air locks. Bleeding the system involves opening the plastic screw in front of the coolant reservoir cap with the engine running -- beware, as once the air has escaped, coolant will start to come out. It helps to elevate the front end of the car when doing this to ensure the bleed screw is at the highest point. Parking on a hill facing upwards is the easiest way to do this.

Good luck!

Paul.

Edited by Paul_540i
540i 6-speed manual (sold)

840Ci 6-speed manual (sold)

318is (sold)

Yamaha R1 (sold)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic