Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 6 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedE24 door seal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote black m6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: E24 door seal
    Posted: 22-June-2008 at 17:41

Hi Guys

I could do with a new door seal ive got a small rip in my drivers side rubber .Has anybody got any idea where i could get one ?Thanx  

Sponsored Links

kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-June-2008 at 18:32
Have you gotten a price from a dealer?
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
black m6 View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote black m6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-June-2008 at 19:02
Went to local bmw dealer on friday to get a few bits and he said that they had nothing listed for a door seal on my car.I dont know if that means they dont stock anymore or they have none in stock.Maybe he just was not willing to try.
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-June-2008 at 19:38
Get the part number on http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do (under archive) and then ask them
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-June-2008 at 21:17
Originally posted by kbannon kbannon wrote:

Get the part number on http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do (under archive) and then ask them........
.........for a discount
Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
black m6 View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote black m6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-June-2008 at 22:14

Will do cheers lads.

bigok

AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-June-2008 at 21:51
You'll find they're bloody expensive - around £200 a side. One of my friends has just replaced his. They're a sod to fit on your own too unless you have 3 ft arms.

AndyS
Live each day as if it's your last - one day it will be.

black m6 View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote black m6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-June-2008 at 01:20

My mate said he would fit it for me he has a body shop ,i best not tell him i,ll just give him the seal and get out quick!!!

biglaugh  Thats what mates are for

caley64 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caley64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-June-2008 at 05:09

I've also done one a few years back. Might have to make a few adjustments after fitting to get rid of wind noise. As AndyS mentioned, make sure you're sitting down when you ask for the price.  Steve.

m3Cecotto View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Forum Sponsor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m3Cecotto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-June-2008 at 22:02
Originally posted by AndyS AndyS wrote:

.....They're a sod to fit on your own too unless you have 3 ft arms.

Here's a guide

And you'll probably need to adjust the door glasses afterwards.

Edited by m3Cecotto
1981 E23 735i
1989 E30 325i Motorsport Cabrio
1989 E24 635CSi Motorsport Edition

Bavarian Retro Cars
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-June-2008 at 11:03
Originally posted by m3Cecotto m3Cecotto wrote:

Here's a guide
registered users only?
Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
m3Cecotto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m3Cecotto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-June-2008 at 21:36
Sorry,

Following a question in the "Exterior" section:

Originally posted by Mike635 Mike635 wrote:

I'm about to replace the seals around the door apertures of my Highline (they're badly split and leaking). Has anyone done this who can offer any tips please? I heard it was not as easy as it seems...

....it was about time I did my own replacement. As luck would have it, the ever-helpful "JT" had been there already:

Originally posted by JT JT wrote:

Yes!  Just did mine.

...and had some ready instructions. Couldn't really go wrong, right :?:  I printed out his guide and set to work. What now follows is a photographic guide with JT's original hints, and my acerbic comments:

Quote   You need to remove the trim at the floorboard (only the piece that has the screws in it)

Quote and the interior b-pillar trim (two screws at the bottom, and the two screws at the pull strap). 

What he said.

Quote The old seals will pull right out. 

Copy that, Houston

Now this is an opportunity to show you just how badly perished my old l/h door perimeter seal was:

You might want to have a closer look at yours now. Both sides. Years of having the windows hitting the seals won't have done them any good, even if you use rubber preservative.

Quote At the top of the frame, there is a channel that the new one will slide into - clean it well, then lubricate it.  I used silicone spray. 

At which point, Drew chimed in:

Originally posted by Drew Drew wrote:

I used fairy liquid as the lube!!

Not having any silicon spray to hand, I went off to the kitchen sink:

There is indeed a metal channel leading back from the A-pillar, and following the roofline all the way to the B-post:

What JT and Drew probably didn't have was this entertaining little kink in the channel:

Whatever, I got the "new" seal out....

It's the one at the bottom.

I also cleaned & sprayed the top part of the seal that fits into the channel.  Starting at the forward part of the channel (nearest the engine), feed the upper rear corner of the seal into the channel.  Pull the seal back into the channel, while continually feeding it into the channel at the front. 

Ha, this is easy.

Really easy.

Working with two people might be quicker - working alone, I misfed it a few times and had to pull it back out part of the way to get it reseated properly. 

Originally posted by Drew Drew wrote:

much easier with two, going up the A-pillar is easy enough but once you're heading down the roof line you need someone to ensure that it doesn't pull off at the corner whilst you're pulling and pushing it around the track.

Now they tell me. There I was sliding easily along the channel, and all the time the little fecker hadn't actually gone into the channel at all. It took three goes to get this anywhere near right.....

2 hours later, including the entire output of a Clannad album, I had reached here:

When the grooves in the door seal properly engage INSIDE the channel, getting the whole thing to slide along is about as easy as trying to put on  an extra-thick reusable condom. ......Actually, you might not want to quote me on that  :?

Quote A little extra spray might be helpful from time to time.  Once it's pulled up snug to the corner the rest is a breeze, as it just presses onto the flange. 

Do you know how much Fairy Liquid went in there?

But it must have all worked, because:

...and the door actually shut properly with the window rolled up.  8)  I was well-pleased. Well-pleased until I spotted this:

The end of the seal had refused to go into the channel. This means at some point I'm going to have to do this all over again

Having moaned about this by firing off a few text (SMS) messages to various people, I had one response from a former E28 M535i owner and, thinking about it, what he says has a certain validity, and I quote:

Quote And thus is the key to old car ownership. It will let you know when there is a problem. Otherwise, just enjoy. Like a wife but 1000 times cheaper...... And it doesn't tell you to wear a different shirt

1981 E23 735i
1989 E30 325i Motorsport Cabrio
1989 E24 635CSi Motorsport Edition

Bavarian Retro Cars
black m6 View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote black m6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-June-2008 at 01:39

Does anybody want to buy a m635 with a split door seal.

only joking but not looking forward to it.bigcry

Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsetan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-June-2008 at 13:02
Originally posted by black m6 black m6 wrote:

Does anybody want to buy a m635 with a split door seal.

only joking but not looking forward to it.bigcry

If ye're in London, I'm happy to do it for ye. Expect it to take a few hours, though

black m6 View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote black m6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-June-2008 at 02:04

Thanks Horsetan for the offer but i live in Merseyside,Have got her booked in on Tuesday so hopefully it will be done by Christmas?biglaugh

Big thanks to M3 Cecotto for the pictures have printed them off so will come in very useful.Thanks lads great site.

Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsetan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-June-2008 at 21:57
Originally posted by black m6 black m6 wrote:

...Big thanks to M3 Cecotto for the pictures have printed them off so will come in very useful.

Should do. I wrote that Guide, and that's my car in the photos

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic