Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > BMW Related News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedArticle: BMW M1 Procar revival at Hockenheim

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Article: BMW M1 Procar revival at Hockenheim
    Posted: 30-June-2008 at 22:21
Quote This season’s German Grand Prix will see the return of one of the most spectacular single-make competitions in motor racing history. The legendary BMW M1 Procar series will be resurrected at Hockenheim in July for a one-off special event.

The celebrated competition, which ran as a support series for Formula One racing in 1979 and 1980, saw the five fastest F1 drivers from Friday practice for the Grand Prix compete against 15 young hopefuls in specially prepared versions of BMW's M1 supercar.

“There hasn't been a series as attractive as this before or since,” recalled TV pundit Marc Surer, who conducted set-up work for the series’ prototypes as a young Formula Two driver. "With its mid-engined layout, the M1 was a bit of an animal to drive and had an outrageous soundtrack.

“The series fed off the appeal of the cars and the opportunity for young drivers to measure themselves against the leading Formula One stars at the time. You were really somebody if you got to drive in one of those races. It was a unique opportunity to pit your skills against the F1 drivers - and they were certainly pretty quick in the M1.

“The handling of the car suited them down to the ground. Plus, in 1979 - the first of the two years the series was held - they always started from the front and were given works cars. That made it pretty tough for us junior drivers in the independent teams. We had to look after our car, but at the same time did everything we could to make our mark.”

The series, the brainchild of Jochen Neerpasch, the head of BMW Motorsport at the time, Formula One Management CEO Bernie Ecclestone and FIA President Max Mosley, is still remembered fondly by fans, despite it’s brief two-year stint on the schedules. One admirer particularly heartened by its return is current BMW Motorsport director Dr Mario Theissen.

"The M1 was unveiled 30 years ago as the first car created independently by the then BMW Motorsport GmbH,” explained Theissen. “It was a racing car which BMW customers could also drive on the road, a unique project which had to overcome some tricky administrative hurdles before getting off the ground.

"In order to gain Group 4 homologation, 400 units of the super sports car had to be built within a period of 24 months. The idea of organising a single-make series was born out of necessity - i.e. the requirements of homologation. Nobody expected the BMW M1 Procar series to go down quite so well. Just a mention of it today still triggers an enthusiastic reaction. This revival serves as a 'thank you' to the fans.”

During July's event a smaller field of 10 drivers will compete in two show races. Amongst those competing will be several past masters including Surer, Jacques Laffite, Dieter Quester, Christian Danner, Harald Grohs and Prince Leopold of Bavaria.

German driver and team manager Jochen Neerpasch will also be in attendance, at the wheel of the BMW M1 turned into an 'Art Car' by legendary artist Andy Warhol. His co-driver will be 72 year-old American painter Frank Stella, who also created an 'Art Car' - a BMW 3.0 CSL which raced at Le Mans in 1976.

source...
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
Sponsored Links

kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-June-2008 at 22:22
BMW Press Release:

BMW M1 Procar revival at Hockenheim.

06-30-2008 Press Release
BMW M1 Procar revival at Hockenheim.

Past masters roll back the years.

Munich, 30th June 2008. The F1 German Grand Prix programme this year will see the revival of the most spectacular single-make competition in motor racing history. The BMW M1 Procar series will be back at Hockenheim on 19th and 20th July as a field of ten cars.

BMW Motorsport Director Mario Theissen, for one, is looking forward to the event: “The M1 was unveiled 30 years ago as the first car created independently by the then BMW Motorsport GmbH. It was a racing car which BMW customers could also drive on the road, a unique project which had to overcome some tricky administrative hurdles before getting off the ground.” In order to gain Group 4 homologation, 400 units of the super sports car had to be built within a period of 24 months. As Theissen continues: “The idea of organising a single-make series was born out of necessity – i.e. the requirements of homologation. Nobody expected the BMW M1 Procar series to go down quite so well. Just a mention of it today still triggers an enthusiastic reaction. This revival serves as a ‘thank you’ to the fans.”

“There hasn’t been a series as attractive as this before or since,” says Marc Surer. Now working as a Formula One expert on TV, Surer is well placed to judge. As a young Formula 2 driver, he conducted testing and set-up work for the prototypes at the time. “With its mid-engined layout, the M1 was a bit of an animal to drive and had an outrageous soundtrack. The series fed off the appeal of the cars and the opportunity for young drivers to measure themselves against the leading Formula One stars at the time.”

The five fastest drivers from Friday practice for the Formula One Grand Prix earned themselves a drive in the M1 race. The 15 remaining 500 hp machines were piloted by hungry young hopefuls. “You were really somebody if you got to drive in one of those races,” recalls Surer. “It was a unique opportunity to pit your skills against the F1 drivers – and they were certainly pretty quick in the M1. The handling of the mid-engined car suited them down to the ground. Plus, in 1979 – the first of the two years the series was held – they always started from the front and were given works cars. That made it pretty tough for us junior drivers in the independent teams. We had to look after our car, but at the same time did everything we could to make our mark.”

The idea of developing the BMW M1, however, was the brainchild of Jochen Neerpasch, the head of BMW Motorsport GmbH at the time, and it was he who initiated the single-make series with Bernie Ecclestone and Max Mosley within the relatively relaxed structure of F1 three decades ago.

A handful of past masters are set to line up once again for the two show races at Hockenheim. Surer will be joined by Jacques Laffite, Dieter Quester, Christian Danner, Harald Grohs and Prince Leopold of Bavaria. Jochen Neerpasch will also be there, at the wheel of the BMW M1 turned into an Art Car by Andy Warhol. His co-driver will be none other than Frank Stella, who also created an Art Car – a BMW 3.0 CSL which raced at Le Mans in 1976. The 72-year-old remains a keen motor racing fan.

1997 E39 523i
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-July-2008 at 23:09
M1 @ Classic Endurance Race in the Ring 2007

1997 E39 523i
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-July-2008 at 19:13

BMW M1 Procar Revival.

07-19-2008 Press Release
Sport, art, sound - Lauda is first across the line.

Hockenheim (DE), 19th July 2008. After 30 years, the BMW M1 Procar Series made its comeback to the circuit today, Saturday, with a host of big names and a host of fun. Ten celebrity-manned examples of the close to 500 hp mid-engined racers delivered the first of two show races on the Hockenheimring as part of the support programme of the German Formula One Grand Prix.

In the words of three-times World Champion Niki Lauda: “It was such a hoot. We were allowed to drive how we wanted, we didn’t have to hold back on the pace. Actually, we should have been chasing Jochen Neerpasch in the M1 Art Car, but he didn’t get off to a proper start. And that gave me a clear run ahead. I’m going to have to seriously reconsider whether my career really is over! It was great fun.”

“I’ve always wanted to race against Niki Lauda,” said a grinning BMW Sauber F1 Team test driver Christian Klien, who was also behind the wheel of one of the legendary models. The Austrian, born some time after the M1 Procar, was surprised at the calibre of these classics: “It’s amazing the handling these cars already had back in the 80s. Even today they feel quite advanced. And as for the sound, it’s out of this world. You’re sitting right in front of the engine, and at 10,000 revs it’s awesome. You really get a sense of the car’s sheer power. I can’t wait for the next race!”

The second show race will be held on Sunday shortly before the start of the Grand Prix.

RTL commentator Christian Danner was scuffling with Lauda at the front of the field – “But in the end I deferred to the World Champion,” joked the ex-Formula One driver, “partly because I was being distracted by my co-driver Tim Mälzer, who wouldn’t stop talking about cooking.”

Indisputably the most valuable car on the track, the Art Car designed by Andy Warhol was driven by Jochen Neerpasch, one of the granddaddies of the most spectacular single-make competition in the history of motor racing. Neerpasch, who headed BMW Motorsport GmbH at the time, dreamed up the Procar Series together with Bernie Ecclestone and Max Mosley to feature within the relatively relaxed F1 format at the time. The revival marks the 30th anniversary of the M1 as the first vehicle to be created independently by the former BMW Motorsport GmbH.

In 1979 and 1980, the Procar Series thrived on the one hand on the sheer appeal of the car, but equally by giving young drivers a chance to pit their skills against the top Formula One drivers of the day. The five fastest in F1’s Friday practice were each granted a seat in the cockpit of an M1, the works cars coming under the technical direction of Ron Dennis. A further 15 cars were manned by eager young racing talents. “It was a matter of huge pride to be allowed to race against the established stars,” recalls Marc Surer, who was also involved in the Procar show race, along with veterans Dieter Quester, Harald Grohs and His Royal Highness Prince Leopold of Bavaria.

Despite a problem with the clutch at the start, Jochen Neerpasch relished the experience: “It’s marvellous that it all got off the ground. We will also publish a book to mark the 30th anniversary. It means I’ve been steeped in three decades of motor racing lately, which was also an interesting experience for me personally. A great deal happened during that time.”

Neerpasch’s co-driver in the Warhol M1 was none other than Frank Stella. The 72-year-old artist summed up the event: “The BMW M1 Procar Revival here in Hockenheim was amazingly good fun. It was an honour for me to be able to drive in this wonderful and unique Andy Warhol BMW M1 Procar. The car, the crowds, the whole ambience – it really was fantastic experience. Compared to 30 years ago, motor racing today hasn’t changed significantly, but everything round about it is completely different. Sport and art have one key thing in common: in the end it comes down to satisfaction. My philosophy is: always give of your best. Sometimes I’m surprised at what turns out, at other times I’m disappointed. Out here on the race track it’s very hard not to be thrilled.” Stella himself also designed an Art Car – a BMW 3.0 CSL which competed in the 1976 Le Mans marathon.

P90042950.jpg

P90042948.jpg

P90042943.jpg

P90042946.jpg
1997 E39 523i
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-July-2008 at 19:20
I'm sure vids of todays action will come online soon but in the meantime...

review on paddocktalk...
BMW M1 Procar Revival at Hockenheim: Sport, Art, Sound - Lauda Is First Across The Line

After 30 years, the BMW M1 Procar Series made its comeback to the circuit today, Saturday, with a host of big names and a host of fun. Ten celebrity-manned examples of the close to 500 hp mid-engined racers delivered the first of two show races on the Hockenheimring as part of the support programme of the German Formula One Grand Prix.

In the words of three-times World Champion Niki Lauda: “It was such a hoot. We were allowed to drive how we wanted, we didn’t have to hold back on the pace. Actually, we should have been chasing Jochen Neerpasch in the M1 Art Car, but he didn’t get off to a proper start. And that gave me a clear run ahead. I’m going to have to seriously reconsider whether my career really is over! It was great fun.”

“I’ve always wanted to race against Niki Lauda,” said a grinning BMW Sauber F1 Team test driver Christian Klien, who was also behind the wheel of one of the legendary models. The Austrian, born some time after the M1 Procar, was surprised at the calibre of these classics: “It’s amazing the handling these cars already had back in the 80s. Even today they feel quite advanced. And as for the sound, it’s out of this world. You’re sitting right in front of the engine, and at 10,000 revs it’s awesome. You really get a sense of the car’s sheer power. I can’t wait for the next race!”

The second show race will be held on Sunday shortly before the start of the Grand Prix. RTL commentator Christian Danner was scuffling with Lauda at the front of the field – “But in the end I deferred to the World Champion,” joked the ex-Formula One driver, “partly because I was being distracted by my co-driver Tim Mälzer, who wouldn’t stop talking about cooking.”

Indisputably the most valuable car on the track, the Art Car designed by Andy Warhol was driven by Jochen Neerpasch, one of the granddaddies of the most spectacular single-make competition in the history of motor racing. Neerpasch, who headed BMW Motorsport GmbH at the time, dreamed up the Procar Series together with Bernie Ecclestone and Max Mosley to feature within the relatively relaxed F1 format at the time. The revival marks the 30th anniversary of the M1 as the first vehicle to be created independently by the former BMW Motorsport GmbH.

In 1979 and 1980, the Procar Series thrived on the one hand on the sheer appeal of the car, but equally by giving young drivers a chance to pit their skills against the top Formula One drivers of the day. The five fastest in F1’s Friday practice were each granted a seat in the cockpit of an M1, the works cars coming under the technical direction of Ron Dennis. A further 15 cars were manned by eager young racing talents. “It was a matter of huge pride to be allowed to race against the established stars,” recalls Marc Surer, who was also involved in the Procar show race, along with veterans Dieter Quester, Harald Grohs and His Royal Highness Prince Leopold of Bavaria.

Despite a problem with the clutch at the start, Jochen Neerpasch relished the experience: “It’s marvellous that it all got off the ground. We will also publish a book to mark the 30th anniversary. It means I’ve been steeped in three decades of motor racing lately, which was also an interesting experience for me personally. A great deal happened during that time.” Neerpasch’s co-driver in the Warhol M1 was none other than Frank Stella. The 72-year-old artist summed up the event: “The BMW M1 Procar Revival here in Hockenheim was amazingly good fun. It was an honour for me to be able to drive in this wonderful and unique Andy Warhol BMW M1 Procar. The car, the crowds, the whole ambience – it really was fantastic experience. Compared to 30 years ago, motor racing today hasn’t changed significantly, but everything round about it is completely different. Sport and art have one key thing in common: in the end it comes down to satisfaction. My philosophy is: always give of your best. Sometimes I’m surprised at what turns out, at other times I’m disappointed. Out here on the race track it’s very hard not to be thrilled.” Stella himself also designed an Art Car – a BMW 3.0 CSL which competed in the 1976 Le Mans marathon.

1997 E39 523i
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-July-2008 at 20:37
1997 E39 523i
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic