Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFiring on all 8 up to 6700 RPM at last!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
jetsetwilly2000 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetsetwilly2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2008 at 09:19
Nice one Mike.  Where is this connector?

Watch the A9 lads.  Was merrily making progress on sunday when I got nabbed by a hairdryer unit hiding in the bushes about 15 miles south of inverness - in that "CCTV Survey" area.  89 in a 60.  Bugger.

Anyone been banned?  Does it affect your insurance afterwards?
E90 M3 DCT, E46 330d Touring, VW T5 wannabecamper

Previous: Disco 3 TDV6, 2x E34 540i6,

E34 535iS

Sponsored Links

Bigian View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-July-2008 at 19:21

Great to hear your firing on all 8 again.

Have lots of smiles with all those horses

If you can't be good don't get caught
--------------------------
Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-July-2008 at 15:22
Well done Mike.

Sport Evolution Schwarz #043
PaulS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
East Anglia BMWCC Regional Chairman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-July-2008 at 11:28
Nice one Mike, it's nice to be enjoying all those 286 horses again!!

95 E34 530i V8 Auto Maldives Blue
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-July-2008 at 08:55

Good news Mike.

What drew your attention to that particular connection?

I know what you mean, after spending most of the previous week towing a trailer behind my V8, slowly so it didn't bounce about on the bad roads, she was finally let of the leash on Friday on my day trip return from Glasgow to Rannoch Station in the middle of Perthshire.

There is no such thing as no overtaking on the A9.

I hope the missing plug sealing ring didn't end up in the cylinder!

Sounds like it didn't, which is good.

It is quite scary to think of a big 4 litre V8 revving all the way up to 6700 rpm.  That is a lot of metal moving about very quickly.  I'm not sure if mine will rev that high.

All the best

Andrew

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
BeemaBoy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Starting a Collection

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeemaBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-July-2008 at 07:31

Hi 540 V8

GLAD TO HEAR YOU GOT IT SORTED ...

Can I ask, what was the loose connection? The plugs that you speak of...are these the ones that plug into the coil packs or are you speaking about something else?

Thanks so much

BB

87 E30 320I
95 E34 525I Auto, Executive Package, Arctic Silver
98 E38 740I Steptronic, Silver
540 V8 View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-July-2008 at 22:21

Yes ok, it's taken me six months to investigate my misfire but when you got 8 cylinders, you don't often notice it until sitting in traffic when you can feel the uneven judder of the engine and it's at that point I think "damn, must take a look at that!"

I also had the issue of not being able to rev over 5000rpm and the crank sensor not solving the problem I had to look at the wiring. I had suspected wiring so I got one of the technicians at work to wiggle the plug as I revved. This caused the engine to rev up to 6k then other times only up to 4k so definatley a loose connection. I tried bending the pins a little and closing up the female pins so it was more of a snug fit but to no avail. I decided to then cut the plug off completely and about 6 inches of wire either side of that to try and eliminate the bad connection. Four shrink fit terminals, some cable conduit and a couple of cable ties later, an engine that red lines properly for the first time since I got the car.

My second issue, the misfire, was possibly going to be owed to the fact my rocker cover gaskets were leaking oil and covering the plugs causing a bad spark. Upon inspection after removing all 8 spark plugs, one of the coil pack boots was missing the sealing lip at the bottom and as the plugs had about 25,000 miles on them, I'm guessing worn electrodes and no sheilding caused the spark to find the easiest route, i.e. the rocker cover!

New set of plugs and the perished coil boot replaced set the missing cylinder to smoke into life! A few damn good revs and a blast up the road saw the V8 clear it's throat and roar once again. I treated her to 30 litres of V-power and a bottle of injector clean which put a huge smile on my face all the way to work!

Although I didn't really think much of the missing cylinder power wise, I can now feel the difference having it back and boy does it feel good!

Now all I have to do is sort the rocker gaskets and the suspension squeek.

All in good time

Mike

Current:E34 540i Touring 6 speed manual(Mpower bodykit & suspension)& Chrysler Voyager 3.3 V6 auto
Previous:E34 530iSE AC Schnitzer suspension.
E28 525e auto-Standard
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic