Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFiring on all 8 up to 6700 RPM at last!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2008 at 13:23

Chris has said the things I was trying to say, glad someone knew what I meant.

Mine has a slight wobble as too did my previous E60 (that was stolen with the keys from a BMW dealer) when hot just as Chris has said.

It must be fuel related, black smoke, poor emissions.  I was thinking about this on the train back from Edinburger this morning.

Have you had it plugged into a diagnostic machine when the car has been driven.  This should give you read outs of all the sensors so you could tell what say the AFM is reading or the O2 sensor etc.  Obviously you you would need a helper to either drive or read the hand held diagnostic machine in the car.

Andrew

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Sponsored Links

540 V8 View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-August-2008 at 11:45
Originally posted by Andrew Rolland Andrew Rolland wrote:

I think there is still an underlying problem Mike.

You said it failed its MOT due to emissions and it chuffs out black smoke on start up.

You obviously feel the car just isn't quite right when you drive it. 

I would take a guess at a fuelling problem rather than an ignition problem. 

I would take some Wynnes Carb and fuel injector cleaner to the throttle body and any exhaust gas recirculation valves, crank case/cylinder head breather hoses. At your age of car things might be a bit blocked up.

Also give it a good few tank fills of Shell VPower that will help clean things out.

Andrew

Already done the two things you suggested Andrew, I used injector cleaner when I changed the plugs a couple of weeks ago and I have been running her on V-power for the last year or so.

The smoke upon start up is like a grey/blue colour and smells like fuel, i.e. running rich but literally the secong she is running after firing up all seems ok. I'm trying to guage what is classed as rough running.

If I sit in the car with the engine running as with any car, there is some vibration from the engine, it's the nature of the beast, engines make noise and shake, fact! but I can't work out whether mine is running rough ir it's all in my head?!?!?!?

I wish I knew of another 540 owner who lives local so I could compare them but I think you guys are out of reach for me.

I think you are definatley right about the possible fuel problem though Andrew purely based on the smoke smelling of fuel on start up. I will perhaps start looking at cleaning my breather hoses and checking the vacuum pipes for leaks too.

I will solve this mystery dammitt!!!

Mike

Current:E34 540i Touring 6 speed manual(Mpower bodykit & suspension)& Chrysler Voyager 3.3 V6 auto
Previous:E34 530iSE AC Schnitzer suspension.
E28 525e auto-Standard
540 V8 View Drop Down
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-August-2008 at 11:51
Originally posted by Andrew Rolland Andrew Rolland wrote:

Chris has said the things I was trying to say, glad someone knew what I meant.

Mine has a slight wobble as too did my previous E60 (that was stolen with the keys from a BMW dealer) when hot just as Chris has said.

It must be fuel related, black smoke, poor emissions.  I was thinking about this on the train back from Edinburger this morning.

Have you had it plugged into a diagnostic machine when the car has been driven.  This should give you read outs of all the sensors so you could tell what say the AFM is reading or the O2 sensor etc.  Obviously you you would need a helper to either drive or read the hand held diagnostic machine in the car.

Andrew

I have had it plugged in a couple of times and the only fault it showed was crank sensor which has now been sorted.

I'm going with your fuelling theory Andrew and as mentioned in my previous post, i'll start with breathers and hoses (filters were changed last service so I know it's not them) and see how I go.

Mike

Current:E34 540i Touring 6 speed manual(Mpower bodykit & suspension)& Chrysler Voyager 3.3 V6 auto
E28 525e auto-Standard
beemerchris View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beemerchris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-August-2008 at 15:47

Hi Mike

the cyclone valve (crank breather) will not trow a fault code if it's on it's way out. However the car will start using oil if it gets worth. The o2'sensors and or cat's will only trow up a fault if they are realy bad but you should be able to check them in a garage that has a gas analyzer and a fast reader for the o2 sensor values as they cxan see how fast the values change when you rev the car.

Hope you find the problem soon

Chris

Chris
3rock-Car-Electronics-Services

Cars.:
e34 540t 6sp
e24 635csi
540 V8 View Drop Down
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-August-2008 at 18:27

Nice one Chris, I'll check that out. Where would I find this breather and where does the breather pipe go from/to?

Cheers

Mike

E28 525e auto-Standard
beemerchris View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beemerchris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-August-2008 at 14:49

the valve is screwed into the back of your intake manifold

its no 3 in this picture

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HK32&mospi d=47398&btnr=11_1498&hg=11&fg=40

you probably need 4 and 5 as well when you take it apart.

HTH

Chris

Chris
3rock-Car-Electronics-Services

Cars.:
e34 540t 6sp
e24 635csi
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-August-2008 at 16:14

Hmm how much stripping would you need to get at that bit? 

Would you need to take the whole manifold off as on mine you are right at the bulkhead and access would be a tad tricky.

I really must have a poke about my engine, still haven't got the top cover and spark plug covers off yet.

Andrew

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic