Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > BMW Related News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBMW & Fiat Alliance

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BMW & Fiat Alliance
    Posted: 08-July-2008 at 21:23

BMW and Fiat mull parts alliance

Mini production line
BMW and Fiat have signed a memorandum of understanding

German car maker BMW and Italy's Fiat have signed a memorandum that could result in the use of common parts for their Mini and Alfa Romeo brands.

BMW said that the joint production and development of common components and platforms would help achieve economies of scale and reduce costs.

The results of the discussions are expected by the end of the year and further details were not disclosed.

Minis are produced at the BMW plant in Cowley, Oxford.

Fiat chief executive Sergio Marchionne said the proposed alliance is a significant cornerstone of Fiat's strategy and would improve the competitive position of both parties.

"We are delighted to work with such as esteemed and respected partner in the automotive industry," he said.

Alliances have been an important part of the turnaround of Italy's largest automaker, helping it to share costs and expand into key markets.

source...

Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
Sponsored Links

kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-July-2008 at 12:33
Official Release...
Quote BMW Group and Fiat Group Automobiles sign Memorandum of Understanding
08/07/2008

+++ Cooperation on architectures and components under consideration +++ Proposed use in MINI and Alfa Romeo vehicles +++
Munich/Turin. The BMW Group and Fiat Group Automobiles (FGA) are considering the possibility of co-operation in the areas of architectures and components for their MINI and Alfa Romeo vehicles. A Memorandum of Understanding to this effect was signed by Friedrich Eichiner, member of the Board of Management of BMW AG responsible for Corporate and Brand Development, and Alfredo Altavilla, Senior Vice President, Business Development, Fiat Group Automobiles and CEO of Fiat Powertrain Technologies.

"We are currently examining with the Fiat Group possibilities for the joint use of components and systems in MINI and Alfa Romeo vehicles in order to achieve economies of scale and thus cost reductions within the framework of our Strategy Number ONE", Eichiner said in Munich.

"The proposed co-operation with BMW is a significant cornerstone of our strategy of alliances. We are delighted to work with such an esteemed and respected partner in the automotive industry with the clear objective of improving the competitive position of both parties," Sergio Marchionne, CEO of Fiat Group and FGA, said in Turin.

The two partners have agreed not to divulge details of the possible collaboration. The results of the cooperation discussions will probably be achieved by the end of the year.

this is all in addition to the reports that BMW are assisting the launch of Alfa Romeo in the USA - Article: BMW to help Alfa Romeo in North America
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic