Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedE46 323ci oil light??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
THE BOSS!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Issy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: E46 323ci oil light??
    Posted: 23-July-2008 at 23:59

Hi guys

Wonder if any of you have seen this happening?

I start the car all fine all the lights go out as they are supposed to. When I start to drive off and the yellow oil light comes on and remains on for about 20 secs max then goes off and doesnt come on again.

I have checked the oil level and it fine but getting a bit paranoid that it might be the oil pressure and could cause damage? Help would be appriciated.

I have also noticed that it is using allot of water too......scared to think about that one lol please dont say gaskets!!!!

Many thanks guys

Issy

Sponsored Links

plymouth-Ci View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plymouth-Ci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-July-2008 at 01:09
can help you with that one, its the oil level sensor which sits in the bottom of your oil sump, real easy job to do - once you drain the oil!!!!!!!! had the exact same problem on my E46 323ci, a silver one too lol!! the part is about 80 quid from a dealer, you can get others from websites and the like for bout 15 quid less. like i did, but the connector pin was in correct so had to the use the dealer in the end.

dunno bout the water, hope this helps though!!!

martin
DubhGhaill View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DubhGhaill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-July-2008 at 08:57

I'm having the exact same problem. Orange light has been coming on for weeks now but only after I have her parked in work? Flat parking but maybe their some weird slope. Anyways Orange light comes on, I drive off, turn first corner & it goes off. It has never come on once when started from home or anywhere else. I suspected it was the sensor as oil levels are fine. Will talk to local Indy & get it replaced.

Further to this is it safe to leave it like this & put up with the light every now & again or could the sensor fault cause issues down the road?

Thx,
DG

E46 M43 318i 2001
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DubhGhaill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-July-2008 at 11:11

Just rang the local BMW dealership for a price on this part €150 Euros which is approx £120 Sterling. Bloody hell thats 50% more expensive than the UK price!

OEM parts shop is looking for €130 Euros ~= £104 Sterling

& thats just the part for both prices.!

Be thankful you;re not on this side of the sea guys! A trip up North maybe in order/

DG

Edited by DubhGhaill
E46 M43 318i 2001
Issy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
THE BOSS!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Issy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-July-2008 at 00:40

Originally posted by plymouth-Ci plymouth-Ci wrote:

can help you with that one, its the oil level sensor which sits in the bottom of your oil sump, real easy job to do - once you drain the oil!!!!!!!! had the exact same problem on my E46 323ci, a silver one too lol!! the part is about 80 quid from a dealer, you can get others from websites and the like for bout 15 quid less. like i did, but the connector pin was in correct so had to the use the dealer in the end.

dunno bout the water, hope this helps though!!!

martin

Many thanks for the reply I will get it checked out before going to Gaydon. Dont want to do any damage to my pride n joy! lol

Cheers

Issy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plymouth-Ci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-July-2008 at 00:44
i didnt bother doing mine for 6 months or so, its just annoying to look at and if you keep an eye regularly oheck your level then it doesnt matter. try this link, they are really good and cheaper then you have found
http://www.c3bmw.co.uk/Page.asp?CategoryID=138

i would order over the phone with them though as there are two types of sensors, they look identical, its the electrical plug connector inside that difers so the plug and socket wont connect. hope it helps
Issy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
THE BOSS!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Issy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-July-2008 at 00:46
Originally posted by DubhGhaill DubhGhaill wrote:

I'm having the exact same problem. Orange light has been coming on for weeks now but only after I have her parked in work? Flat parking but maybe their some weird slope. Anyways Orange light comes on, I drive off, turn first corner & it goes off. It has never come on once when started from home or anywhere else. I suspected it was the sensor as oil levels are fine. Will talk to local Indy & get it replaced.

Further to this is it safe to leave it like this & put up with the light every now & again or could the sensor fault cause issues down the road?

Thx,
DG

I thought the light was orange at first but then decided it was yellow lol mines comes on whether the car is on a slope or on the flat. I will be taking mine to an indi too and hopefully the part wont be as expensive as that.

Cheers

issy

Issy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
THE BOSS!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Issy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-July-2008 at 00:48

i didnt bother doing mine for 6 months or so, its just annoying to look at and if you keep an eye regularly oheck your level then it doesnt matter. try this link, they are really good and cheaper then you have found
http://www.c3bmw.co.uk/Page.asp?CategoryID=138

i would order over the phone with them though as there are two types of sensors, they look identical, its the electrical plug connector inside that difers so the plug and socket wont connect. hope it helps

Cheers thats a relief that I dont need to rush to get it done! Its going to cost a fortune going down to Gaydon  I will check that out and keep that in mind.

Many thanks again

Issy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plymouth-Ci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-July-2008 at 00:51
yeah, fuel economy is awesome, even on long trips lol. esp if you played with engine mods???
Issy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
THE BOSS!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Issy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-July-2008 at 01:04

yeah, fuel economy is awesome, even on long trips lol. esp if you played with engine mods???

Mines is standard and i get 30MPG on a good day if im being sensible  but sometimes i cant help it and the car takes over  I love the way the engine sounds and moves when its giving lots of revs and I turn into a rally driver

So getting a dodgy oil light upset me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plymouth-Ci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-July-2008 at 01:16
id get 30 mpg if i drove sensibly, know what you mean bout the noise, if you open it up opve 4k going through a tunnel it sounds brilliant lol. the oil light was the 3rd light i had come on my dash in a matter of weeks, all silly things that are all sorted now, but know what you mean? so where is this gaydon??
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DubhGhaill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-July-2008 at 09:38

Upon further inspection Issy its defo yellow.! Maybe I need my eyes checked too.

DG

E46 M43 318i 2001
Issy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
THE BOSS!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Issy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-July-2008 at 23:15

id get 30 mpg if i drove sensibly, know what you mean bout the noise, if you open it up opve 4k going through a tunnel it sounds brilliant lol. the oil light was the 3rd light i had come on my dash in a matter of weeks, all silly things that are all sorted now, but know what you mean? so where is this gaydon??

See here there is a quite a few of us going down from the Scottish Region.

Cant wait

Edited by Issy

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic