Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > Detailing & Car Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedChoice of Sealant?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Choice of Sealant?
    Posted: 29-July-2008 at 18:01

Can anyone recommend a good quality Sealant to apply after polishing by pc machine my Titanium Silver E60?

I have read that Sealant will be better for my paint and preference of finish than a wax.

I plan to wash, clay and then use my shiny new PC with the different grades of Menzerna polish but I then need to put a Sealant on the paintwork to protect it.

Anyone got any good recommendations?

Thanks

Andrew

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Sponsored Links

Allan320 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Obsessive Detailer!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allan320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-July-2008 at 20:07

Ive always used Klasse EGP and Klasse AIO.  Nothing but praise for them and they look great on silver.

Until I got Zymol that is.

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-July-2008 at 08:10

Thanks again for more tips Allan.

I have heard of the same product as the Klasse stuff, but I hadn't looked at Zymol.

Andrew

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
DSK328i View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSK328i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2008 at 19:59

Currently got Zaino ZCS http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/zaino/zaino-z-cs-clear-seal/pr od_460.html, I can't say that I can find fault with it .....

However, I would really liek to try Zymol's seal, if anyone can provide me with a link where to get it, I'd be grateful

Let The Good Times Roll
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-August-2008 at 14:12

Well after a bit of diggin on the t'interweb I bought Carlack 68 Systematic Care and the Long life sealant.  It appears to be the same as the Klasse twins but just in a different coloured bottle.

Also the Jeff Werkstat spray acrylic stuff is meant to be just thinned out Carlack/Klasse product.

I used the Car lack stuff yesterday afternoon.  Wiped on the first one (AIO) and then buffed off with a microfiber cloth after letting it dry for about 30 mins.

I then wiped on the Long Life Sealant and left that to dry but I really struggled to buff it off with either a microfiber cloth or my PC with a microfiber buffing bonnet.  It set like rock and you could see where it had gone on thicker and it took serious buffing by hand to get rid of the excess.

Anyone got any tips on how to remove this sealant, or would have applying it thinner using the PC been a better move?

Thanks

Andrew

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
DSK328i View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSK328i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-August-2008 at 21:25

For a wide range of Zymol try http://www.monzacarcare.com/index.php

I am going to try Chemicalguys Jet Seal 109 fwiw.

Let The Good Times Roll
Allan320 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Obsessive Detailer!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allan320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2008 at 16:03

Your really need to put sealent on thinly (straight lines remember). If you put it on thickly, it will harden rock solid in places and be a pig to remove.

If it does this, use some quick detailer / spray detailer. This will help remove it, without removing the sealent ;)

Edited by Allan320
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-August-2008 at 08:32

Thanks again Allan.

I applied it in straight lines but I think my problem was that it didn't go on evenly as I used a cotton polish cloth, I could see lines and ridges etc.

What can I use to apply sealant thinly and evenly, any suggestions?

Andrew

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Allan320 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Obsessive Detailer!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allan320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-August-2008 at 12:46
I use one of the foam applicators that meguiars make.  You can feel if you are over doing it with the sealent because it will become soaked and there are no ridges or grooves for the sealent to hide in. So it will be applied smoothly.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-August-2008 at 12:18

Cheers for the tip Allan.  Got the Megs pads and used them.  It was a lot easier to use buff off this time thank goodness.

I bought a microfibre buffing bonnet to fit over my pads but it needs a 6" pad to fit over and I only have 5" pads, d'oh!

Andrew

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic