Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 6 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHot Cabin

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronnie Reece Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hot Cabin
    Posted: 05-August-2008 at 16:27

Hello all my heater on my 1985 E24 635CSI is constantly blowing only hot air, i suspect that is is either the heater control valve and/or the thermostat playing up.....any other suggestions please??

I AM MELTING

Sponsored Links

AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2008 at 23:08
Most likely the valve.

With the ignition on, get someone to turn the heat control from max to min while you listen to the valve (bolted to the bulkhead on the LH (nearside)of the engine bay. You should hear it click as it opens. If it doesn't click there's an electrical fault.

The diaphragm wears & tears & it silts up if the coolant system is neglected. New one is easy to fit.
AndyS
Live each day as if it's your last - one day it will be.

m3Cecotto View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Forum Sponsor
Bavarian-Board Forum Sponsor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m3Cecotto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2008 at 01:32
New one is easy to fit, but the old one usually fixes OK too.  Get it out and split it, clean it all out and so long as the rubber diaphragm isn't torn, it should be OK.  Test it by putting 12v across the  terminals and it should close fully.

£35 or so from GSF IIRC.

I have a spare if you need it.
1981 E23 735i
1989 E30 325i Motorsport Cabrio
1989 E24 635CSi Motorsport Edition

Bavarian Retro Cars
Ronnie Reece View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronnie Reece Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2008 at 15:51

Thanks lads, i tried the inside the car turning the temp dial to hot and cold and got occasional click so i plugged a spare in that i have that has a split rubber seal and that cliks both on hot and cold which i assume is opening and closing as it should, so it would appear that this is the problem, i am looking at a valve on E Bay at the moment so i might give that a whirl, failing that i might try and make a working valve from the 2 i have. Thanks again.

Ron Reece

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic