Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedE60 545I Satnav upgrade

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ken737 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: E60 545I Satnav upgrade
    Posted: 11-August-2008 at 23:43
Hi guys. Just bought a 53 plate 545 with "Business" satnav, ie no map. Anyone out there know if I can upgrade this to the "professional" which has the map function? Also, I cannot for the life of me get the system to tell me how much engine oil I have, it just says 6000 miles till the oil change. Any ideas?
Thanks, Ken.
Who needs petrol anyway...
Sponsored Links

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-August-2008 at 09:15

Hi Ken

Wohoo another V8 E60 owner and not too far from me either!

Where did you source the car from?  I think I have only ever seen two other 545i other than the two I have owned and only two 550i.  About as common as rocking horse manure.  Never seen an E60 540i.

Upgrading an E60 Satnav will be expensive and probably not worth the hassle.  You would be better off buying a tomtom.  It will be cheaper and most probably more accurate.  If you have the high gloss dark wood on the dash, the sucker for the mount can stick to this rather than the window.

The system will not tell you how much oil you have, just when it wants changing.  Atleast we have a good old fashioned dipstick to measure the level!

You have 8 litres of sump oil.  I can't remember where I found that out but I'm sure I remember thinking that it was one litre of oil for every cylinder!

I don't think it tells you the capacity in the handbook either.

I also had a terrible time working out what oil to put in it.  BMW are suitably vauge, they say either BMW longlife 01 or longlife 04.  Now longlife 01 can either be 0W-30 or 0W-40.  It is a minefield!

I think the Castrol website will tell you what to put in it, but the bottle I bought from Halfrauds was about £12-13 for 1 litre!

Just mind and not take your beast to this garage for an oil change!

Andrew

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
ken737 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ken737 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-August-2008 at 10:47
Hi Andrew, good to hear there's someone else as daft as me! I got the car from a company called Evolution in Leicester, and they were very fair. I'll get some photos when I find out how to post them. This is my first E60, my previous have been 540, 540 touring and two M5s, all E39. I hate the fact I don't know how much oil is in the engine...there must be a way to check. The last service bill says it has Mobil 1 synthetic. Great car, fantastic engine, and not all that slower than the M5. So far, so good!
Ken.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-August-2008 at 17:50

Yeah that's what I like about mine.  It looks like a 520d but goes very nearly like a M5 (E39 anyway) but doesn't have the drawbacks of being a M5.  You don't get folk egging you on at the lights cos they haven't noticed the little '4' on your boot lid.  It doesn't stand out as being a fast car.  Nice and subtle till you horse past them!

BMW recommend Castrol oil so I would be inclined to fill her up with that stuff.

Andrew

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
ken737 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ken737 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-August-2008 at 18:25
The only problem with Castrol is the horrific cost. The 10w60 I was using in the M5 was about 80quid per 5 ltr. I switched to Miller competition oil, at £49 for 5 litres and had no trouble. No-one knows them in the UK, but they are huge in the US. I have been recommended George Morrison for servicing...any comments? 
stevie53 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevie53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-August-2008 at 19:38
Ken, glad to see didn't leave the fold after all and hope you enjoy the E60 btw you can pick up Castrol Edge Sport 10W-60 for about £40 per 4ltrs from Opie Oils

Andrew, the only drawback about owning an M5 are the guys in E60s thinking they they have the beating of you

///2000 E39 M5 Imola Red/// NO MORE

una volta lei ha avuto l'italiano lei non andrą mai tedesco di nuovo haha
ken737 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ken737 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-August-2008 at 23:01
My 545 is very nice. It is not, however, an M5, nor ever will be. Do I sound bitter? Regretful? Hmmmmmm
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-August-2008 at 12:42

Originally posted by stevie53 stevie53 wrote:

Andrew, the only drawback about owning an M5 are the guys in E60s thinking they they have the beating of you

Hee hee!

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
caldersj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caldersj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-August-2008 at 20:10

Ken,

Let me know what you decide on the SatNav.  I acquired a 2004 545i SE yesterday which has 'business SatNav' and it is frankly rubbish - in fact a major downgrade from the map-based system in the E39 540i Sport I traded in.

The only option I'm aware of is a £1,200 upgrade to 'professional' - an absurd cost.  I have the impression that the 'business SatNav' spec has been improved to include maps at some point since 2004, because I also read that dealers were recently offering an upgrade on new models from no SatNav to Business SatNav + 6-CD changer for £350, and that this came with maps, if not the full widescreen professional edition.

Tomorrow I'm going to call the dealer who sold it to me to see whether they would offer me a similar deal (except I already have the 6-CD changer).  I'd pay £200-£300, but not £1,200.  I really don't want the security hassle of a portable (Tom Tom or equivalent) but I simply can't live with the pathetic no-maps version so it is a dilemma.

Otherwise I'm pretty pleased with the 545, the only other gripes being excessive wind noise at motorway speeds, which seems to come from the sun-roof area, and the Logic 7 hifi upgrade, though that may just need some tweaking.

Stuart.

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-August-2008 at 12:12

They are coming out of the woodwork now.

Welcome on board Stuart.  Both you and Ken will need to post up some pics of these beasts.

How did you get on at the dealer?

Andrew

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
caldersj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caldersj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-August-2008 at 13:11
No news from the dealer, but I'm not hopeful.  To quote from my post on BMWLand, I've concluded that maps = professional satnav = widescreen = hardware upgrade = £1,200, so I'll just have to live with the useless no-maps version.

Satnav gripes apart I've been fairly pleased so far, especially the excellent bluetooth integration.

I'd be interested if anyone else has auto cruise (detects distance to car in front and brakes automatically) and would actually trust it!

I also have Dynamic Stability Control which is supposed to maintain a flatter attitude in bends, but have only done 150 miles so haven't really noticed. Does it work?

And does anyone else get too much wind noise at motorway speeds?  The quietness of the engine accentuates this, but I can't figure out whether it is normal or there is something amiss with the electric sunroof mechanism not sealing completely.

Re fuel consumption, I used to average 24mpg dead in my E39 540i sport, and was hoping for at least 10% improvement given the same driving style (mostly restrained, occasional bursts of acceleration for the hell of it.)  So far the 545i seems no better.  I didn't buy it to save fuel, but was hoping for a bit more nonetheless (newer engine etc).  Is this naive?

Things I'm less thrilled with:

Auto headlights - what's the point? Even the manual says they are no substitute for human judgement.
Indicators - the electronic self-cancel seems fiddly compared with the manual E39, especially when just changing lanes.
Logic 7 hifi upgrade - good, but not awesome.
I-drive - I could write a book.  Just awful.

Also, having gone from a Sport to the ES model, I'm not in love with all the chrome trim - a bit pipe and slippers.  Might get the windows de-chromed if it can be done at reasonable cost.

ken737 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ken737 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-August-2008 at 16:53
Hi Stuart, The I-fumble WILL grow on you, but it ain't easy to begin with. I would agree that 300 beer vchrs would be fair to upgrade to profi satnav, but 1200...no way. There's some guys on the web selling upgrades so will let you know if I succeed there.You'll get used to the winkers too, it's just new technology. Have you indicated with your cruise control yet, or turned off the cruise with the winkers? Done both! My machine is dead quiet at all speeds, but I have no s/r, and this seems to be the issue. I sat at *5mph with the cruise on on the way back from Leicester where I bought it and returned 28.7mpg. I am now averaging 25 on mixed, mostly short stuff, which I'm ok with for the performance. I'm going to HID the peepers and will let you guys know how it goes. How do I post pics????
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-August-2008 at 16:57

Hmm no suprise there from the dealer!

I don't have auto cruise so can't help.

DSC, one statement of advice, don't switch it off!  Rear tyres will be turned into smoke after a few miles in the dry or the car pointing out of a hedge in the wet.

Sounds like your sunroof mibbie isn't closing properly.  Mine is a whisper on the motorway.  It would be even quieter if it weren't for the low profile tyres.

My 545i will return on average 28-29 mpg.  Worst recorded was just over 25 mpg.  Motorway runs low 30's.  Derby to Glasgow I got 33 mpg including stop start traffic in Derby.

Auto headlights, never used them.  I always drive with my sidelights on.  I have found that some road users find it difficult to see an oncoming silver car so to help them out I drive with the sidelights on.

Go into the iDrive and you can switch off the annoying indicator 3 clicks.  The cancel is difficult yes but you will get used to it coming from the E39 as I did.

Standard radio/CD is way way better than the standard radio from my E39.

I really can't see what the problem is with the Idrive.  Once you know where everything is it is o.k.  All I use it for is the heating, turning from the red/hot to blue/cold distribution.  The vents, I have set once so there is no need to mess around with them.  Switching between CD and radio is straight forward.  Most other things you do not need to change once you are moving.

There are toys that I just do not use.  I wanted the big thumping V8, anything else I got was a bonus. 

I wouldn't describe a 545i as being a bit pipe and slippers.  Yes it looks like a cheapskate 520d but it does not go like one!  That is the best bit.  It looks ordinary but it most definately does not go like an ordinary car.  The vital stats put it within 0.7 seconds of the 0-60 time of a M3.  Like you are going to notice 0.7 seconds. 333bhp 450Nm 0-60 5.9secs it does make impressive reading.  You can get 4 adults in the car plus luggage with no effort.  It has ISO fix kiddie seat holding points and it will tow my trailer without breaking sweat.

Saying that, I'm just used to it now.  I have been driving various E60's for nearly a year now.  Just give yourself time to learn its wee things and you'll be rightly.

It's a tremendous V8 and it is the mutts nutts.  Overtaking acceleration is brisk shall we say.  Best car I have ever owned.

Just don't take it here for servicing!

All the best with it

Andrew

Current

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
caldersj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caldersj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-August-2008 at 18:01
Re I-drive, I guess the best you can say is that you don't need to use it much once you are set up, and yes I am getting used to it, but it is still a poor effort in my view.

The pipe and slippers comment referred to the SE trim compared with the Sport, not the performance!  I really bought the 545 for similar reasons to yourself: stonking performance, OK fuel economy, unobtrusive looks, quiet and comfortable when not trying, and a few toys.  Nothing else ticked all these boxes so well.  No doubt it will depreciate like a stone, but I got a £53k car after 4 years for £17k so can't complain when it is worth £4k when I replace it in 3 years time.

Still plugging away at the satnav maps, will of course update here if any news.

caldersj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caldersj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-August-2008 at 12:06

I Mis-spoke when I said Dynamic Stability Control (though it does have that.) I meant Dynamic Drive, which gives active steering (fewer wheel turns at low speed) and on-the-fly rollbar adjustment in bends.  Jury still out on this one.

On the other points, I came across this quote on Evo, which is actually about a 645i but sums up my thoughts on the 545i quite neatly:

"It seemed that when BMW's undoubtedly brilliant engineers designed the car they became obsessed with re-inventing things that worked perfectly well in the first place. Before the 645 arrived I never knew how much I liked conventional steering and suspension, or a stalk that clicks into position when you put the indicators on, or a row of buttons and knobs to control the radio. These things have all been honed over time and didn't really need meddling with in the first place."

On mpg, I've been pretty gentle but haven't seen better than 26, so if you can get 28-29 it can only be the thin, pure Scottish air.

I've given up on the satnav maps, as detailed in my post here:

http://www.bmwland.co.uk/talker/viewtopic.php?p=646554#64655 4

No marks for BMW on this one.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic