Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Website Forum > Website Announcements & Feedback
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHelp With Site Improvements?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help With Site Improvements?
    Posted: 14-August-2008 at 22:20
Just wondering, what kind of overall site improvements would you recommend?
Has the site lost some of its flair? (Did it ever have any?)
What would you like from the site? How can it be made better?
Are people wanting more events in their area?
Or what?
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
Sponsored Links

PaulG1991 View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulG1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-August-2008 at 22:33
I'd like to comment on this, im registered on a few forums but on a bike forum i was on there was a live chatroom, tht was ace, wasnt near as many members as this site but still proved popular. Tht same site also had a garage function, search by model or username and incorporated a gallery and spec sheet. Very Cool
316i Compact
Pete330 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-August-2008 at 22:35
works well the way it is IMHO
Previous:

E36 318is coupe, E36 323i coupe, E30 316 saloon, E30 318 saloon, E46 330ci Sport Conv
E92 325d M Sport(3.0),With Loads of gadgets

Current:
116i Sport F20
stephenperry View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenperry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-August-2008 at 22:46

there is a chatroom function already but it doesnt seem to be very popular

the garage function might be useful for a motoring forum where users own different makes and models, but i think it would be unnecessary here seeing as most people already have their cars mentioned in their signature or avatars

just my two pennies worth, what do other people reckon?

Edited by stephenperry

2007 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCI Titanium X Auto

1983 Ford Sierra XR4i
    2000 Alpina B10 3.3 #118
    1999 BMW 323Ci
    1995 BMW 318i SE
    1994 Vauxhall Omega 2.0 GLS
    1995 Ford Mondeo 1.8 LX
    1990 Honda Concerto 1.6 EX
    1986 Ford Orion 1.6 GL
    1989 Ford Fiesta 1.1 Firefly
PaulG1991 View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulG1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-August-2008 at 22:51
hehehe i just noticed that . nobodys on tho. i thought the spec sheet wud of been a good thing, for all mods n even suppliers of mods.
316i Compact
davy tombstone View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davy tombstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-August-2008 at 23:21
dont change it yet, us newbies are just getting used to it.angry1
Rossi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rossi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-August-2008 at 23:37
In the Technical Sections:
What about starting a vote of thanks league..(with maybe a monthly, bi-annual or annual forum prize)

i.e.
The original poster of the thread with the car problem, is given the right to allocate say 10 points which can be shared amongst
contributors to solving the problem.
Once the owner/original thread starter, is happy that the issue has been resolved, he or she allocates the points accordingly to contributing members.

References to old threads which instantly solve a problem get 10 points. This could be used to remove old threads which
are now doubled up as a 'solved' question/ problem.

The thread starter then has to fill in a 'Solved' box relating to appropriate section of the car and model then the thread is auto-locked.

The 'solved' box data could then be used as a reference guide for the appropriate model of car in categories.

3 Series |engine | electrical | emissions...etc
5 Series |engine | electrical |emissions....etc

The info is already in there it just needs sorting out and getting shot of double/ treble posts hence reducing the database size.

just my thoughts..

stephenperry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenperry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-August-2008 at 00:03

Originally posted by Rossi Rossi wrote:

In the Technical Sections:
What about starting a vote of thanks league..(with maybe a monthly, bi-annual or annual forum prize)

i.e.
The original poster of the thread with the car problem, is given the right to allocate say 10 points which can be shared amongst
contributors to solving the problem.
Once the owner/original thread starter, is happy that the issue has been resolved, he or she allocates the points accordingly to contributing members.

References to old threads which instantly solve a problem get 10 points. This could be used to remove old threads which
are now doubled up as a 'solved' question/ problem.

The thread starter then has to fill in a 'Solved' box relating to appropriate section of the car and model then the thread is auto-locked.

The 'solved' box data could then be used as a reference guide for the appropriate model of car in categories.

3 Series |engine | electrical | emissions...etc
5 Series |engine | electrical |emissions....etc

The info is already in there it just needs sorting out and getting shot of double/ treble posts hence reducing the database size.

just my thoughts..

that's a good idea Rossi

could work a bit like this?

http://www.experts-exchange.com/

2007 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCI Titanium X Auto

1983 Ford Sierra XR4i
    2000 Alpina B10 3.3 #118
    1999 BMW 323Ci
    1995 BMW 318i SE
    1994 Vauxhall Omega 2.0 GLS
    1995 Ford Mondeo 1.8 LX
    1990 Honda Concerto 1.6 EX
    1986 Ford Orion 1.6 GL
    1989 Ford Fiesta 1.1 Firefly
Rossi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rossi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-August-2008 at 09:48
that's the idea Stephen, more or less what I was thinking of
(nice find, bookmarked too)

The forum would then be a valuable database on how to fix opposed to asking the same questions over and over again <yawn> over time within technical sections.

My thoughts on this would be that forum members would need to achieve a certain amount of posts or contribute towards the site cash wise to gain access to the database of fixes.

edit:Forget the above part and make it available to all, so no-one needs to even be a member of the forum to read it then

Edited by Rossi
hoggr View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoggr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-August-2008 at 09:52

A minor thing. When you move the cursor over the topic heading it displays the topic start date and time. I am sure it used to be the case that the first couple of lines of the post were shown. Which I think is more useful.

Rob.

Robert
Jack735 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack735 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-August-2008 at 12:09
Originally posted by hoggr hoggr wrote:

A minor thing. When you move the cursor over the topic heading it displays the topic start date and time. I am sure it used to be the case that the first couple of lines of the post were shown. Which I think is more useful.

Rob.

Just noticed that's now working, how fast are these admins?

Although all the sites I’m on can be accessed through my phone one has a stripped down version for mobiles, no photos, avatars etc. and the width matches the available width of the screen.  It makes it very quick and so easy to navigate.

I’m not sure how it does it but I don’t have to do anything to say if I’m on the PC or the phone – it just knows and there's a wee note automatically comes up to say ‘posted via a mobile device’.

Apart from that this site is great. Well done to all those involved in keeping it going.

[not posted via a mobile device]

Oooh, The machine of a dream, such a clean machine With the pistons a pumpin', and the alloys all gleam, When I'm holding your wheel, All I hear is your gear, With my hand on your grease gun, Mmm it's like a disease son, I'm in love with my car, gotta feel for my automobile, Get a grip on my .......
stevie53 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevie53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-August-2008 at 12:27

The forum would then be a valuable database on how to fix opposed to asking the same questions over and over again <yawn> over time within technical sections.My thoughts on this would be that forum members would need to achieve a certain amount of posts or contribute towards the site cash wise to gain access to the database of fixes.discuss..

your second statement will just draw newbies into asking the same questions over and over again, because they can't access the databases of fixes without having to dip into their pockets.

please don't try and fix something that ain't broken.

///2000 E39 M5 Imola Red/// NO MORE

una volta lei ha avuto l'italiano lei non andrà mai tedesco di nuovo haha
Webdunk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
M3 GT Register

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Webdunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-August-2008 at 12:50
I quite liked the idea of a garage... to take it a wee step further it would be very cool if the data and images in 'the garage' could be used to generate a single A4 'show sheet' which folk could print off (either using Print CSS or creating a PDF on the fly). Naturally this would include a forum logo so :
  • this should help owners showing cars
  • good advertising for the forum
  • improve the perceived quality of stands at shows - folk like to know what they're looking at

• I've never seen it anywhere else so it would be nice to have a 'first'
Rossi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rossi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-August-2008 at 15:34
Originally posted by stevie53 stevie53 wrote:

The forum would then be a valuable database on how to fix opposed to asking the same questions over and over again <yawn> over time within technical sections.My thoughts on this would be that forum members would need to achieve a certain amount of posts or contribute towards the site cash wise to gain access to the database of fixes.discuss..

your second statement will just draw newbies into asking the same questions over and over again, because they can't access the databases of fixes without having to dip into their pockets.

your so right lol, what do you suggest?
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-August-2008 at 15:45

My thoughts on this would be that forum members would need to achieve a certain amount of posts or contribute towards the site cash wise to gain access to the database of fixes.

Whatever about the former, I'd be against the latter as the forum is here to help people and not as a money making project.
This ain't the BMWCC anymore!
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
Issy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
THE BOSS!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Issy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-August-2008 at 16:08

I agree with Stevie I like it the way it is... although I like the idea that Duncan suggests also.

I am on other sites whaich have a forum and this one is far the best and easiest to use. Although I think a bit of general housekeeping would be in order to shorten the main menu as there seems to be alot on there which has not been used for a while. Just a thought! Keep up the good work though its a great site!

hoggr View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hoggr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-August-2008 at 17:53

Jack735 wrote

Just noticed that's now working, how fast are these admins?

Yes it works in the main forum sections. I meant when you have selected 'Active topics'.

Rob. 

Robert
stevie53 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevie53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-August-2008 at 18:10

Originally posted by stevie53 stevie53 wrote:

your so right lol, what do you suggest?

I don't need to suggest anything I'm quite happy with the way the forum is working, but I will certainly back anyone who comes up with what I think is a valid and useful suggestion
///2000 E39 M5 Imola Red/// NO MORE

una volta lei ha avuto l'italiano lei non andrà mai tedesco di nuovo haha
Rossi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rossi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-August-2008 at 18:53
yes it's very easy to criticize..good luck then!
nero View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Just call me Tripod

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-August-2008 at 19:14
Would a new skin to freshen up/modernize the forum design/layout  help - perhaps give us more of an identity?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic