Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > Detailing & Car Care
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Its not a BMW but my son has to start somewhere
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedIts not a BMW but my son has to start somewhere

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steven.seed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Its not a BMW but my son has to start somewhere
    Posted: 30-August-2008 at 18:13

My son is now 17 and taking driving lessons so I have been keeping an eye out for a cheap but decent little car for him for when he passes his test. A neighbour has had this sad little Corsa for the past 10 years and was going to part ex it against another car. Red paint faded so badly at first glance it looked white. But it's solid as a rock,no rust at all, 1.2 engine smooth and quiet, gearbox etc spot on. Has been well looked after mechanically but neglected in the TLC department although the interior is mint, never been smoked in etc. Part ex offer was 100 so I asked can I have  it for same 100. OK she said.

So I brought it home and off we went with Mr Porter cable

Faded paintwork and faded grey bumpers and trim. Wheel have seen better days too.

So out comes all the gear and after a few hours hard graft and some cheap vauxhall alloys off ebay not a bad little motor at all. Very proud of the end result and my lads as pleased as punch. 

Here are some before and after pics.  Cheers   Steve.

PS. last pic shows 1 of only 2 tiny scabs on the door but only a little bubble, soon be sorted.

After

Edited by steven.seed
1998 E36 318iS Saloon   
1989 E30 318i. Coupe
2000 E39 520i Touring

Sponsored Links

kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-August-2008 at 19:40
(I moved this to the detailing forum)

Very nice job with it Steven. I bet the young fella is much happier with his car now!
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-August-2008 at 19:42
Nice chavvy bodykit will soon sort it..
Gotta start somewhere and the insurance group should be next to nothing.
V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
simoneyes View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simoneyes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-August-2008 at 20:06

sound as a pound for that money      job well done    nice one

Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dergside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-August-2008 at 23:35

Well done Steve.  Getting the young lad involved in sprucing it up is a great way of developing a sense of ownership and rsponsibility for the car, and his driving as his skills develop.

Great results, it shows how much can be achieved with a few products and lots of elbow grease.

Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-August-2008 at 15:29
Nice little motor. You can't go far wrong with a cheap and chearful Corsa as a first car.

Edited by Peter Fenwick
Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
540 V8 View Drop Down
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-September-2008 at 20:24

Nice one Steven. You should have kept the purchase a secret, cleaned it up then told him it cost you a grand! that'd keep him in your pocket for a while!!

Seriously though I bet he's well chuffed. ?I know I would have been if my dad did that for me when I was 17. I ended up paying 300 for an old T reg fiesta with a nice bit of rust, no lights and gold paintwork, one blue door and one red door. I fixed it up myself then I had no money for driving lessons so it sat, the brakes siezed up then eventually I paid someone 50 to take it away!!!

Highly commendable Simon!

By the way, did you know there was some strange man standing behind you when you took the first pic?

Mike

Current:E34 540i Touring 6 speed manual(Mpower bodykit & suspension)& Chrysler Voyager 3.3 V6 auto
Previous:E34 530iSE AC Schnitzer suspension.
E28 525e auto-Standard
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-September-2008 at 21:13

Very nice (except the wheels lol).

I shall be going down this route very soon, my eldest is 17 in a week or so ( I'll have to have her mom for the actual date)

Best Wishes

Nigel

steven.seed View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steven.seed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-September-2008 at 23:22

Originally posted by 540 V8 540 V8 wrote:

I ended up paying 300 for an old T reg fiesta with a nice bit of rust, no lights and gold paintwork, one blue door and one red door.    

My first car was a 1955 morris minor with a split windscreen. Cost 25. fantastic little car, wish I had it now, should never have sold it.    

By the way, did you know there was some strange man standing behind you when you took the first pic?  

He's often there when I take pics of the car, the nosy git.

[/QUOTE Nigel]Very nice (except the wheels lol).got to be better than the original ones though.

I shall be going down this route very soon, my eldest is 17 in a week or so[/QUOTE] best of luck then mate, its all in the name of love.

Edited by steven.seed
1998 E36 318iS Saloon   
1989 E30 318i. Coupe
2000 E39 520i Touring

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-September-2008 at 08:20

Nice work Steven

What a transformation!

What products did you use to get it looking like that?

Well impressed.  Now that I've got a PC I'm looking for cars to transform, that would have been ideal on to see such a huge transformation on.

What's the insurance like on a 1.2?  When I was 17 a 1.0 was bad enough, 1.2s being a lot more.

Andrew

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
steven.seed View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steven.seed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-September-2008 at 20:36
Originally posted by Andrew Rolland Andrew Rolland wrote:

Nice work Steven

What a transformation!

What products did you use to get it looking like that?

Well impressed.  Now that I've got a PC I'm looking for cars to transform, that would have been ideal on to see such a huge transformation on.

What's the insurance like on a 1.2?  When I was 17 a 1.0 was bad enough, 1.2s being a lot more.

Andrew

Cheers Andrew, I used Meguiars paint cleaner with the PC to get rid of the fading then went over it again with Zymol cleaner polish. When I'm off work later this week, weather permitting I will wash it then give it a couple of coats of Zymol carbon wax. I cleaned up the bumpers and wheel arch trims with the Turtle wax black trim restorer. At the moment I have not insured it for my son, I'll not do that till he has actually passed his test but I have insured it in my name with SAGA for 105 T.P.F and T but I can't claim my full no claims discount on it as it is a new policy and I have another car insurance. I plan on using it occasionally to go to work to keep it running nicely.

Cheers  Steve.

1998 E36 318iS Saloon   
1989 E30 318i. Coupe
2000 E39 520i Touring

540 V8 View Drop Down
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-September-2008 at 22:56

I think the insurance may come as a shock. I have heard some horrible quotes at the moment well in excess of a grand and that's for Ka's, Fiesta's Corsa's etc.

It may do him well to take a pass plus course, this can reduce the insurance by a large sum so I've heard.

Mike

Current:E34 540i Touring 6 speed manual(Mpower bodykit & suspension)& Chrysler Voyager 3.3 V6 auto
Previous:E34 530iSE AC Schnitzer suspension.
E28 525e auto-Standard
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic